1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Wirign monitor to power supply

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Noah, 5 Aug 2005.

1. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Is this possible? Has anybody done it? It would be great for my TV computer (powered by a 15-inch LCD).

If this is possible, I'm a complete n00b, so maybe I can get a guide?

Last edited: 5 Aug 2005
  2. DrDing

DrDing What's a Dremel?

most lcd's are in one of two modes:
    a) a power cord connects directly from the lcd to outlet
    b) a power cord connects to a power brick (inverter) then to the outlet

if you have a), you need to take apart your case and figure out where the inverter is, take the inverter out, and then connect the input to a 12v molex
    if you have b), you need to disconnect your power brick and directly connect a molex to your lcd.

i have not tried this, but in theory it should work. the power brick for my lcd monitor says output is 12v 3.0A so my guess is my molex needs to output 12v at max 3A of power...i actually just got a lcd monitor and was thinking of trying the same thing. anyone else have opinions or suggestions?

3. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

i have this done actually. i picked up a bolt on m style radio shack barrel plug and bolted it to a pci slot cover, and then wired that directly to the powersupply, since in that computer i had a beefy powersupply the extra 1~3 amp draw was nothing..., easy mod to do, just make sure you get the polarity right, once that your home free, if your monitor has a 12v input of course, sometimes they have a powercord that plugs direcly into them, in these cases you need to open up your lcd, since they WILL not put the powersupply module most likely on the same board as the inverters, and the controller, just find what voltage(s) it outputs to your lcd, if its only 12 then your home free, just run a barrel plug or wire out the bottom of your lcd, if its anything other than 12v then forget it...... unless by the off chance it also requires 5v internally... then you could run that voltage too..., good luck w/ the modding :dremel:

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Or you could make a relay wich swiches the Mains cord to your LCD, and is controlled by your PSU...