1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Wolf King Timberwolf gaming keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 30 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've had one of those for ages - I was always quite happy with it for gaming, but likewise didn't love it for daily use thanks to the cramped keyboard.

3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Seems decent. The picture on the box is STUPID. :lol:

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:eyebrow: What about the shift states of those keys? For those of us that use the "1-9" above the qwerty keys that would have made this an almost useless keyboard. (Since first playing around on an IBM-XT clone I've used the "numpad" as cursor keys (there were no mice at the time) and the top keys as numbers)

But then again - since I can't play FPS (motion-sickness), and since I'm a lefty, all can say is meh

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

For those who are worried about the keyboard being crap for typing on there's also the Wolfclaw Devour, which is just the keypad bit from the left side, with some extra buttons. I'm thinking pretty hard about getting one for when I take my lappy to LANs.

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That's a far better design. Maybe having one of those and a wireless keyboard for regular typing would be a good comprimise, you can easily take the wireless keyboard and move it off your desk when you want to play some games.

7. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Watch out though, as Joe said here this keyboard has some problems when trying to write hyperlinks!

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

:hehe:

9. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

possible modding victim. cutting off the "normal" part of the keyboard and leave the circle part as a stand alone functional (of course or the idea of modding is gone). So when in normal use you use a standard (standard as in more comfortable to use for other things then gaming) keyboard thats more comfy.

10. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You mean like this (bottom of the page) like cibyr already mentioned

11. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

heh, what they really should have done was making a round standalone keyboard of the gaming area that could be added to the standard keyboard, now that would be a real crowd winner:naughty:

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:wallbash:

-eq... look up one post above yours

13. xPaladin

xPaladin What's a Dremel?

I prefer the zboard MERC to the wolf king designs because of the numeric placement up top above the middle finger. I didn't like the wolf king put the numbers in a complete 180 arc, since that means I have to take my pinky off control/shift/alt/z.

The only annoying thing about the merc is a lack of ZX keys, which wolf king has.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hopefully, we'll get our hands on that soon too...

15. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

I got the timberwolf and love it for gaming, and actually like the main keyboard though i didnt realise it was shrunk down until u said. The only tricky thing was getting used to the enter key.

I broke my other one accidently (thanks jackson and coke) and it seemed to freak out and landed up grinding to a halt. But i bought another one cause its comfortable easy to use and the best for fps games imo.

16. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

I'm a little curious about Bit-Tech's attachment to macro and volume keys.

Personally, my computer has volume shortcut keys (though no macro keys), and I often find that my computer runs dramatically faster when gaming if I shut the shortcut key process down.

Now, I've not tried every product, but my experience with logitech, at least, has lead me to find that the macro or shortcut software tends to be terrible resource hogs. Personally, I prefer having to press two different buttons to losing 5-10 fps, particularly when I'm just barely making 30 fps.

I play Both FPSes, and RPGs, and I cannot really see any time where I need to use a key sequence longer than 2-3 keypresses regularly, and in those times where i do, there's generally some slight variance that would render a macro useless. (maybe they're usefull in RTSes).

Overall, I would imagine that the general disinterest in products is that can handle macros is that they slow everything down.

It might be a good idea for Bit-Tech to measure the memory and CPU utilization of all those macro and shortcut key services. If there's a keyboard that is really efficent, people might be more interested.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2007
  17. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

that fact is, is that it isn't a big issue for most people who own a G15, because usually their machine would be able to hand a few small processes running in the background with no inpact on performance.

even on my old laptop (which im currently using because my 8800 fried) the performance hit (if there is one) is not noticable.

I would not change my G15 for any other keyboard currently on the market.

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Not much of an improvement over the setup I already use in Quake 3 Arena. I'd give the product a 6/10 on layout alone (I use EDSF instead of WSAD)

19. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

I don't know.

On my machine (Pentium M 2.00 ghz, Geforce go 7800 GTX, 1 gb ram, yes, it's a gaming notebook), I get a pretty significant reduction in performance.

I still think it's an area of interest.

Tags: Add Tags