1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by thomolithic, 31 Oct 2017.

1. thomolithic

thomolithic What's a Dremel?

I broke my 'never buy new releases' promise to myself to buy this, and I'm so glad I did!

Barring a couple of foibles in the jump mechanics and the game crashing out a couple of times, the game is bloody fantastic!
    I'm so glad that it's fairly well optimised as well. Nowhere near as well as Doom considering it's ID Tech6 engine, but I would say it's to be expected as the game areas are generally far more open to exploration. I average around the mid 50's in framerate @1440p using a Fury X/R5 1600 combo at Uber detail levels, but it does dip to the 40's in larger expanses.
    Mid-fight frame-rates, however, do not miss a beat and hold steady no matter what is going on on-screen.

The story is hilariously OTT, but it's Wolfenstein, what else would you expect?

I plumped for the season pass as well, because if I'm going in early, I might as well have gone all-in, and I can't wait for the various mini-stories now.

I just hope the PC base picks up the game as the rumours I've heard so far are of really really poor sales for such a AAA game.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I loved The New Order, haven’t tried The Old Blood yet but I’m excited all over again for TNC. Great graphics and bonkers but really well written story just make these games. TNO has a sprinkling of really poignant moments, like in the last couple chapters where some diary excerpts are read out to you. Will have to get it some time soon!

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Done about 2 hours and man, this game is pretty graphic and quite shocking in parts. Loving it though, deffo worth a buy :)

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm enjoying it, so far. I like the world that's been created, and how it feels like there are things going on off screen that, while you'd expect them to happen, seem to be organic developments. I especially like the flashbacks to Blazkowicz as a child.

I'm not so sure about the hatchet over the knife. I preferred the knife, I think.

6. Vault-Tec

Nope I know :) I can't wait to get outside. I've just ditched off the wheelchair and sat through a couple of very long cut scenes and then about another hour, but the outside pics looked awesome that I have seen :)

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They shot themselves in the foot twice with the game:
    1: All the technical issues that are inevitably causing a lot of people to hold off.
    2: Releasing right in high price game season, people only have so much money to go around.
    South Park, Assassins Creed, Elex, Original Sin 2 to name just a few very recent releases and other stuff like CoD, Nioh (Pc version), Battlefront EA 2, Horizon Zero Dawn expansion all coming very soon are all competing for the same money, publishers really need to learn to spread that stuff out over the year if they want to improve sales.

8. liratheal

What's bit-techs opinion on Mein Leben difficulty?

Only one life, no saves. I've just put I am death incarnate to bed, and haven't checked it out for myself yet, but it sounds absolutely mental. Must be doable though, as 0.2% have it on Steam.

Just read a few threads trying to fact check and there was much whining.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its pretty good but it suffers the same issues as the TNO, combat pacing feels off (its better if you play it like Quake) but the environment snags far too often. limiting you to 50 health for the first half of the game sucks and the ending is beyond terrible.

imo TNO is better.

10. Vault-Tec

They also did not protect it in any way. Maybe they figured Doom was a waste of money.

11. Vault-Tec

I played this for another hour or so last night. Not sure what to make of it really. It's quite linear ATM (hoping that changes) and the combat feels very much like Doom (which isn't too bad I suppose). However, actual game play seems to be quite short (each "level" lasting about ten mins tops) and then you are thrown back into another long cut scene. I am hoping that changes and it finally gets started 'cause right now it feels very linear and like I am playing Doom. With like waves of enemies then ten minutes of waffle.

12. liratheal

Tried Mein Leben difficulty. Game locked up outside the state building.

Kinda ****ed off by the lack of saving options now.

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Got this a few days ago, I never normally buy games new but I've been looking forward to this for ages. Not disappointed yet, the game is excellent so far - difficult to say if it is better than the new order yet.

I think it's safe to say that if you enjoyed the other Wolfenstein games you would enjoy this as well.

14. Vault-Tec

I had a few issues with it tbh. Most namely - resolution. I had a sod of a time with that. I tried DSR to 4k and it just went all big and then crashed. Then getting it back I had to do it blind (because I only had about 1/4 of the screen in view).

It crashed a few times, then crashed as it was loading a level. I tried about five times but it was just doing the same. Then I remembered there was a patch out so I installed that and it has worked fine since. Not tried to DSR it again, not even sure that will work with Vulkan tbh.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Graphically I am disappointed with this game, not what I would expect from a late 2017 game. And apart from a couple of reasonable fights the gameplay has also been pretty poor. Really not sure about this at all, a game where I can go a couple of days without going back to is usually a sign that I am not enjoying it and unlikely to be a replay for a while.

16. Vault-Tec

I think that in places they are quite lovely. Especially when you go outside into NY. Fallout 4 should have looked like that.

I am very disappointed with the game, though. Firstly it's massively linear. I feel trapped ! then secondly the actual action "levels" so far (about four hours in now) are very short and the cut scenes are longer than you actually spend playing it. Not sure why no reviewers seemed to notice that.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just wait until you get to the end, obvious sequel bait is more obvious than Deus Ex MD.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Farming enigma codes, so boring.

liratheal likes this.
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have finished the game without realising it. I hate bosses but I did not even realise that I beat the final boss a couple of days ago. That makes what has been a pretty naff game even worse.

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Finished the game after taking my time with it...I enjoyed it, although I thought the first part of the game was better,
    I'm a bit disappointed they didn't run with the whole 'is this real' thing after the execution. I also thought the first game did a better job at showing Nazi cruelty and insanity, I enjoyed the over-the-top characterisation in this but a bit more realistic insanity would be nice.
    Overall I'd probably give it a 7/10, the awesome parts of the game are really good.