1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't you be my neighbour?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Dec 2006.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Even having just joined up here on the bit-tech forums I'd say I've gotten to know the social workings of this forum/community better than my own neighborhood, lol, and frankly everyone here talks about more interesting things than most people in real life.

It's also neat to think you're replying/talking to people from another continent or from just a few miles away, such as Chtippo posting above this, is only 100-200 miles away from myself

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Not really. The only time I ave ever seen anyone play corcket in the US was in LA last year, and then it was Indian expats playing. We perfer games we can actually figure out the rules to :p

Generic, Southern WA?

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Nah, Puget Sound, Kitsap County more specifically

@moimit, there are a couple rugby teams that I've seem if that's anything of use

4. GrahamC

GrahamC New Member

No they don't and they don't have football either... :D

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:thumb: Back at ya & out to the rest too.

& Hi D4v3

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hey, I live in a city with a population of ~41000
    Anyways, great article as always.
    I know about the same amount of people by screenName on Bit as I do in real life.

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Great article, what is ironic is that I've met people here that have actually become good friends in "real life" and some who I've still to meet. For example, I spent about 2-3hrs a week talking to Brett / Da Dego on skype and even longer than that in a 3 way msn conversation including Bindi for several hours a day every day (belive you me you never want to see our transcripts). Despite working together on a project for over 6months now we have never actually met, yet I feel like I know him (and many others on here) so well I refer to them as friends in everyday conversation to people.

The line really is being blurred.

8. Nature

Nature Member

Your not a bri-ish guy>? Now you just look like another fat guy at subway:D
    Merry Christmas!!!

CAMEL!!!!

9. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

what a nice little thought invoking article. Thank you Bit-tech for another great year of news, reviews, thoughts, mods and great discussions.

Hope you all have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

There are a number of people I have never met in real life but I would consider them to be friends, I have friends in the real world that I comunicate with online more than I do face to face, and there are those that I have met face to face after first meeting online.

As Hiren says the lines are becoming blurred

11. frodo

frodo New Member

i have a few good freinds in real life, a ton of people i "know" in real life, and then ive got the online community, a smaller forum than this that ive been on since i was like 13 or so is www.pclincs.co.uk, a pretty tightly nit forum, where we all basically "know" eachother.

i joined bit-tech at about the same time i joined pclincs, albeit its less... together, so to speak, tis still a far tighter community than there ever has been where ive lived, the only time my other neighbours speak to me, is when im driving my nitro trucks and they tell me to turn it off cause there moody gits, i havent spoken to the people who live across the road from me in years, and basically half my good freinds are people ive either met through the net or havent even met!

one of my mates (sc4mpi) i met through bit-tech, and then met in person at a lan (www.thebiggame.org) and since then weve been good mates.

with freinds in real life its weird, i mean, when i meet new people im always a bit more shy, but like today, i was just playing a game of rainbow six vegas, when a guy named Festal2, said he'd liek to do a co-op game, to which i said i'd host, we spent 5 or so hours playing vegas, and by the end of it i felt like i knew him like a mate, i mean, ive never met the guy, ive only ever spoken to him over ventrillo, compare that to real life, i doubt ive ever spoken to one person for more than 5 hours.... ever...

god, i just wrote an essays worth!!!! damn you bit, i love you guys (and girls)

merry christmas to all, only 28 minutes left of it!!!

12. gmarappledude

gmarappledude New Member

I belong to an online community and we meet once a year at Alton Towers. That was great fun but very odd calling people by their strange online names. Kinda half Top Gun and half just embarassing. This one guy was like "I wish I hadn't chosen Happy Camper". Oh how we rofled.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

A few years ago when my best mate and I went back east we stayed a couple nights with people I only knew from online. Both places it worked out fine, though, like gmarappledude says, it's a bit odd talking about people by their usernames. That said I have that issue even now since I'm often describing the conversations I have on Bit to other people.

Don't mind me too much, I'm still under-caffinated.

Tags: Add Tags