1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Woo-Hoo! Look what me and Mrs GOO's just ordered! (New Pics - 56k Warning!)

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Aug 2003.

1. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

very nice

eh paint that fence :p

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

How does that key thing work?

Hehe, that cupholder is funy!

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

That's the Neighbours. My Fences are a very nice shade of green... ;)

The narrow end of the key gets inserted into a 'pit' in the center console, much like a normal ignition.

There is no 'teeth' on the body like a key though - it's all done technomagically via some encrypted data being swapped vetween the car and the key.

This tells the car to switch of the imobiliser, and they randomly select a new data key and discard the old one. This will be used the next time the key is inserted.

Once you've docked the key, you just twist it in the pit / dock to the on position, and flick it one position more to turn the engine over.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Very posh, key then! Just wait for it to go wrong! :wallbash:

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Don't Mercedes (waits for Koolvin who must have a system in place which e-mails him to say "MERCEDES TALK ON BIT-TECH!") have that sort of system? You stick an all plastic key to the dash and it gets locked into place?

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

In theory it's a good key system, but I can think of so many things that could go wrong...

7. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

These keys are getting ridiculous these days! I mean for example the norm these days is....

You press the unlock button on your keyfob.

The keyfob sends out a number which has been pre approved by the security system. Lets say 8475930128

The car unlocks, disables the previous code and decides on a new number to be used. Lets say 8762390472

The keyfob picks up the new number and stores it to be used next.

You place the key in the ignition, as you turn the key a signal is passed through the key into a minature chip which sends out yet another code to the security system. Say 89209

The security system accepts the code starts the engine, then scrambles the code to be used next time.

It can go wrong... I managed to scramble my keyfob in town because I tried to unlock my car the same time as another 156 owner parked across the street... took a long time to get the alarm to STFU!!!

Press the unlock button on two keys at the same time and see what happens ;)

8. HellDiver

HellDiver New Member

Congrats on the Vectra...er...hang on that joke is a bit thin.

Heh, at least you didn't buy a new Jag - a Ford Mondeo with a different shell. lol

Tags: