1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Wood Computer > BloodWood < WOOT!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MiLwOrkZ, 11 Aug 2005.

1. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

A buddy of mine Dylan Wammack had the idea about 4 years ago to make an all WOOD case! Well I was the only person to take him seriously and decided to put this idea to work! Well it took about a week and half for me to convince him that it is entirely possible and to get him to make one with me! Well it worked so therefore we started looking for the wood we wanted to use so I pointed out a wood that i had been admiring forever due to its beautiful DEEP RED color! Bloodwood! This was a mistake that i would soon forget about after it was done! This wood is OILY! When cut with any sort of blade it slowly builds up and gunks the blade (it smells like chocolate though), kinda like the same effect aluminum has on carbide blades! And sanding is pretty much impossible unless using a grit like 60-80. The grit was really course but the wood clogged up the paper and at the same time polished the wood as I sanded it, worked out better than I thought it would! So i learned to be patient and I finally finished it! Dylan on the other hand gave up on the case after finiding a deal on a LIAN LI PC 70 with 8 Tornadoes preinstalled and pre Bay-Bus'd for $200 Dollars! So now I have one finished Computer and one that will be entering the Project logs soon! Well for the past 3-1/2 years I have been modding, gaming, lanning, schooling, working but mostly trying to finish my MACHINE! Well it is done! $550 in Bloodwood + koolance WCing + P4 + X800 Pro AGP + Gigabyte 8TRS350MT Ati Chipset + 4 x 256 Mb PDP Extreme PC3200 + Ultra X-Connect + 3 Tornadoes 92 MM =

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Oct 2005
  2. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

3. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

this is relly nice. and very original too!

great work

4. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Looks Great, but...

All Wood??? I see some other material there :p

Good job though.

5. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

it's not all wood, he has metal all over! :p

out of curiosity, how strong do you find the aluminum stock you used? i've just started designing a case and wanted to make a barebones inside like yours. what do you like about that [inside] and what would you do differently?

6. dibek

dibek What's a Dremel?

It looks like a piano made into a pc case. Cool :thumb:

7. MiLwOrkZ

Hmmm... Well the alumium is quite strong due to the fact that it is angle iron, but i just went up to Lowes, Homedepot, and a local Farm Supply called MFA to get it so it is nothing to fancy (Basic Arch Angle). You can actually see the barcode tag on the front view of it (by the hardrive)!

Something i would like to do different is instead of using rivets (2-3 in every joint then Hammer Set) i would have rather drilled and countersunk 1/8" socket head bolts! I ran out of time and had to throw the frame together at the last minute (I still have the bolts though ready to go so i might make a Good backup Frame)! It Fits. It Works, and it is sturdy as hell so it is good to go!

Also you see the Mo/Bo mounting plate i would have rather SHEETHED the entire back with aluminum rather than just part but that is all i had in my store room so... Also i would have rather of covered the rest of it in PLEXI but yet again time got me!

Thanks for your comments and taking a look at my Built from scratch computer!

8. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

Looks really really nice!

9. MiLwOrkZ

Well i have gathered up a list of more things i need to buy to do some finshing and once i again i have come short of funds but soon i will order it!

Things still needed to do-

1.Matrix Orbital LCD Externally mounted

2.LEDS and some cathodes on the external of the computer to show it off

3.Keypad to turn the computer on (like at the storage place)

4.New aluminum frame finished AND bolted together

*cough* AMD FX53 3200 + 2x 7800GTX + 2 GIGs Corsair DDR2 + 6 74Gb raptors + New WCing *cough*

5.Different Front BEZEL rather than the thrown together aluminum front plate!

6.Possible New WCing or even an external fanless WCing VW Ac Condenser!

7.More stuff that i cant think of! :thumb:

10. De4Th

De4Th What's a Dremel?

Nice work man :)

11. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Nice.. a wood case is what I'm currently working on (very early stages atm), and its nice to get some extra inspiration :)

12. MiLwOrkZ

Hey just let me know if there is anything i can help you with if i dont know the answer i know a man who will!

13. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

14. MiLwOrkZ

It was all my pleasure in meeting you and thanks for the compliments on it, yours like always looks outstanding!

15. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate :thumb:

16. SamHain7315

SamHain7315 What's a Dremel?

That is just very very nice to look at. Should try to do a whole set up, monitor, keyboard mouse and hell even make a desk out of the same wood style

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Nothing short of amazing, great wood work, great frame, I <3 it.

18. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i have a question. what are all the metal handles on its sides for? they dont look like they serve much of a purpose.

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Looks of course! :duh: Haha. That's my guess, it looks good.

20. MaplinMan

MaplinMan What's a Dremel?

when u said all wood case i thought you meant it would all be wood, not just a regular case covered in wood thats not all wood dude...

why dont you just make a motherboard mount from a board of wood and build a case from scratch, that would rock even more

ur case looks wicked tho man well done