1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Wood PC Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JitsuSparty, 14 Mar 2012.

1. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Ok - so I am thinking of building a case out of wood - and was wondering if any of you had some advice?

Im currently messing about with shapes etc on sketchup but is there anything I need to take into account?

it's basically a 500 x 350 x 250 box - with a planned 120mm fan at the front

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

there is few things to think about:
    has You ever work with wood? to achieve acceptable result ones should put a lot of time and efforts.
    also to achieve god structural rigidity one should use thick wood or create frame
    and one should deduct wall thickness from internal volume. e.g. depth 350mm - doubled wall thickness (15 ie) = 320 mm of inner space.
    also there is problem of grounding - imho all PC components must have good contact with "ground" - eg PSU casing

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Well-Known Member

My favourite WoodPC to date

As for Vetlar comments I agree about need effort for a nice finish, as for being think, if you're not sticking heavy parts in and using supports doesn't have to be think, just structurally sound and as for grounding, doesn't the PSU do this? So many acrylic/plastic/fibreglass projects out there and all been fine.

Good luck

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Well-Known Member

5. Vetalar

i have once mobo can't start on (non-conductive) openstand, after couple (dozens) tries and hundreds turnarounds with shaman drum i was ready to give up. my friend asked me about grounding. i scratch my had, drop wire between mobo steel standoff and PSU case - and all goes well. also some HDD silencer kits contains additional wire for grounding. with all that said i can't find a reason for myself not to 'ground'. 1 wire from MOBO tray and 1 from HDD rack and i sleep well :)

6. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

thanks to all so far for the suggestions. I'm keeping it simple - spending more time then I usually do in Sketchup making sure I understand all the lengths angles etc.

as for grounding - I was planning on running a wire from a mobo tray to the psu earth

will post a jpeg of the design soon - should of mentioned Im kinda basing the design on a HL2 ammo crate

7. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Ok update, still at the design phase - I had designed it almost completely, then I obtained a motherboard tray from a TJ07 and realised it wouldn't fit in what I had designed... so back to phase 1.

the folllowing is a sketchup of what I want the front to look like... few quick notes though: the blue panels are going to be "modders mesh" with vandal proof switches through them. the big hole in the middle is going to be a mesh with a graphic stencilled on - with a 120mm fan behind it to provide airflow.

anyway any feedback is appreciated :)

[​IMG]

8. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Here it is

Well here is my design plan, I have tried to be original with it and not just emulate (rip off) things from the game.

From Top:

[​IMG]

From Side:

[​IMG]

From Other Side:

[​IMG]

and from Below:

[​IMG]

9. Vetalar

imho better add exhaust fan near CPU area (cools down CPU and VRM).
    can't understand - is there some ventilation at the roof? if not there will be "dead" spot for hot air where Your HDDs will be cooked :).
    my "cheap" idea is using dedicated intake for PSU and cool down hdds here for free... in my own openstand air comes through air filter (wifes pantyhose :)) then to HDDs and then to PSU. i have here dedicated cold air for PSU (HDDs not so hot novadays), additional HDD cooling and minus one fan. just my $0.02

10. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Thanks Vetalar - I hadn't actually thought of that... the other thing I hadn't thought of it seems is how I plan to take the lid/side off if I need to get to the components inside.

so back to tweak the design some more and hopefully will update soon.

Although I have just bought a lego super star destroyer so this may be awhile

11. Vetalar

for lid just use door hinges or/and furniture magnets. for sides - how did You plan to join sides? glue, bolts, screws or smth? if bolts - no problem at all, for screws - one have to be careful with screwdriver and don't open it too often... for glue - permanently locked :)

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Glue the frame, make it an open top box glued up. This will be very strong if you use dowels for this design I'd look in to finger joints, good and strong, fairly simple to make and will add some extra character to the box. Then you just need to work on some way to secure the lid. In the past I've used clasps "which I can't remember the name of) but they work like the top of a jar.

13. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

I redesigned the lid to have a set of door hinges at the back, and a simple hasp at the front, it's made of wood if someone wants to steal some stuff out of it it wont be hard.

I plan to screw the sides together - lid as access point

14. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

I had a similar setup for my retro htpc. I used keyhole slots and dado's in the top piece (mine overhung) that slid into place, and then used some threaded inserts in the rear edge and made a few pieces to put screws through:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2815471&postcount=34

The tabs I made for the back
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps get some ideas :thumb:

15. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Thanks a lot Mosquito - I was thinking about using dowel inserts, good to see a mod where they have been used effectively.

16. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

Not a problem :thumb:
    The way I have that one built, it can be completely disassembled into the top and bottom pieces, 2 side pieces, and front and back pieces. The dowel pins are only glued in on one side

17. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

IMHO anyone that wants to do a case out of wood, needs to do some research and look at the stuff that 'slipperyskip' has done. I don't think anyone has done wooden cases better.

Good luck with yours, the designs look cool.

18. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

cheers - been looking at previous cases others have designed/built, making sure I take into account things like ventilation and spacing... I had a "on/off switch" moment early on when a mate looked at my design and pointed out I would need to be double jointed if I ever wanted to turn my pc off at the psu.

currently have spent ~ £15 to win a £5 bet :)

the album containing the pics of the case is public - won't spam this thread with more pics but if anyone is interested I will be posting the updated pics from sketch up in the morning

and damn I just realised I havent added any front usb, mike, headphones ports on the front... hmmmm

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012
  19. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Member

Ok I am declaring this to still be alive *mwuah ha ha ha haaaaaaaa*

I'm planning on purchasing some wood in the next week or so and seeing what damage I can yield with a saw.

also as I mentioned in last post I haven't designed in any front panel extensions - as the mob is side on think these would be superfluous ... and my lycosa has the headphones extension on it already...

anyway does anyone have any ideas on how I could put in a fan controller on the front that would keep in with the wood look?

Last edited: 3 Apr 2012
  20. Vetalar

well for front panel there couple things to do:
    -make 1-1.5mm aluminum plate (polished or sanded) and locate all that stuff here - nice finished alu fits well with wood and didn't drop Your mod to steampunk :) same for fan controller (which one?)
    -for usb etc. make some holes at the front panel and veneer fan controller

Tags: