1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Wood Turning: New Tankard

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by supermonkey, 22 Oct 2011.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

A friend of mine asked for a new tankard for her Renaissance Festival accessories; here is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tankard is turned from oak that I harvested from felled trees after Hurricane Ike. The logs have been drying in my garage for a few years now, and they're finally ready to use. The tankard was stained with a "Red Oak" stain to make it nice and dark, then finished with a food-safe butcher block finish. The outside got a protective coat of paste wax. The sawdust and wood chips are part of the original log.

The tankard is large enough to hold a full pint of grog. :)

Last edited: 22 Oct 2011
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That looks really nice. Makes me want to get a lathe again. (Too bad I don't have neither space nor money for one...)

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Very nice :) It's a shame they don't have that sort of thing here in Europe, I wouldn't mind going taking some photos.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Love the tankard; beautiful work. As for the photos, they're nice, but it would be good to see more detail on the right hand side. Do you have a second light to fill in the shadows a little? Great job though. :thumb:

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Ey?
    We don't have what in Europe?
    Tankards?
    Oaks?
    Lathe's?
    Renaisance Festivals?
    :confused:

If you mean the latter, no we don't (not based upon the english renaissance anyway), we do have a ****load of medieval-fares though ;)

What you probably mean is
    :D

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I bought the old man a lathe for his retirement last year. It is still in its box, in the shed, unopened, untouched, unused.

No electrical outlets in the shed. The sparky was meant to install them some time since June of last year.... still waiting. He comes and has a look every couple of months. "yeah, yeah, no problem. I'll get that sorted asap".... I want to punch him.

I'll end up using the lathe more than dad, but no harm there. Have a nice stash of yew logs that are about 35 years old that I am itching to use.

Lovely work there Monkey :thumb:

7. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

great work! some beautiful grain on that piece. there's just something about a handsome chunk of wood. :)

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Thanks all for the comments.

Hmm. I did use a second light to fill in the shadows a bit, but I wanted to retain enough shadow to give the subject some volume. I've double checked the photo on my monitor at home (calibrated), at work (not very calibrated), and my iPhone (um, yeah), and I can see shadow detail in all three. :(