1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoodHTPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DireSnake, 8 Jun 2007.

1. DireSnake

DireSnake What's a Dremel?

WMCC - Wood-Mini-Custom-Case [(c)DireSnake]

I already for a long time am engaged modding, and is almost constant - a bush of the case. You can see all of them on my page www.diresnake.ru. But this time I have decided to show the work not only at our Russian forum, but also on it. So, washing the present configuration consists from:

-MotherBoard :ASUS P5RD1-VM, 775 soket, mATX
    -CPU: SeleronD-2400
    -CPU Fan: CoolerMaster Gemini (2х120mm)
    -GraphicCard: PowerColor 1950pro
    -Audio: Audigy 2ZS
    -TV-Tuner: Beholder m6 extra
    -HDD: Seagate 80Gb (ATA), WD raptorX 150Gb (SATA)
    -PSU - OSZ 500Wt
    -LCD-TV(!) Premiera 7`

The main feature of the case will be low cost and the small size, as I am going to put very densely all accessories to approach the case to HTPC. A material of the case: a file of a tree, the plywood, the chromeplated pipe 16mm, glue, a natural leather, acryle, various varnishes for a tree.

[​IMG]

It is time to start to work:)

2. DireSnake

The main leading material: a file of a tree and the chromeplated pipe
    [​IMG]

Bearing frame: the center of fixture of MB, HDD & PSU
    [​IMG]

Paint and varnish works
    [​IMG]

3. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

looks interesting, keeping a watch on this one, i like the initial designs, an unusual shape

4. DireSnake

Apparently from the previous photos, the file has been sawn and necessary apertures have been drilled. After that, ready panels gathered on screws and glue. When the design was fixed has come it is time coverings a varnish. About it раскажу is hardly more detailed, as has found some features. By me it has been bought two varnishes - transparent and "mahogany". The first layer - mahogany. Then polishing by a fine skin is necessary to clean fine roughnesses of wood. As wood has brightened - one more layer and once again polishing. After polishing by a skin important qualitatively to dust the case. The varnish quickly dries, so on all case cunningly hardly more than two hours. And here comes rather complex - a final covering a transparent varnish further. I already worked with it, and perfectly I know, that it washes away a dark varnish. So I have simply mixed it with a dark varnish and coverlets this mix a thick layer. Such layer dries about 30 minutes, and to work it is possible only if the surface is in a horizontal plane to avoid smudges. So some more hours have been spent for final processing. As a result the case has been covered by a glossy varnish of color "mahogany". For this time for three pieces the chromeplated pipe which will pull together the case by the top part has been cut. End faces of a pipe have been processed by a rough skin that scratchs were formed. It after will help glue to keep a pipe better and more strong. After fastening a varnish, end faces of pipes have been processed by glue, inserted into the drilled grooves in the case and strongly fixed. After it is necessary to fasten only to the bottom the chromeplated legs with rubber balls at end faces for amortization of the case on a table.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice! hows it going to be covered up?

6. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

If you sand the varnish down to 220 grit it will look much better. Of course I'd probably sand the hole thing back down with 80 grit until it's perfectly smooth. Then sand the wood up to 220 or even 340. Then stain with one or two coats. Run over it lightly again with 340. Then varnish and sand with 220 then polish her up with as high grit sand paper you can find. Then wax with car wax. You'll have a guitar quality finish in no time.

7. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

Looking really nice! You having a cover?

8. DireSnake

Thanks. I shall take into account in the future works.

9. DireSnake

Well, I continue:) so, it is time it is undertaken a forward part. The panel already has been made in advance on lasercut from 5mm acryl-glass. But, it needs to be finished to mind for in it, except for an aperture under 140mm a fan of anything it has not been made any more now. So the electrofret saw in hands also cut out a window for the LCD-TV. The window hardly is more than screen that the framework has entered into the panel around of the screen also. All buttons remain inside, the blessing it can be operated from the board.
    [​IMG]

As, by applying to the panel fixing apertures have been made. To close fan a grid it has been got... A grid on automobile columns in diameter 160mm :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

n general, it is necessary to issue decoratively only the panel and to make management:) but it - then. While it is necessary to make still a roof of the case. I already used such type of a covering in the case " Wood. Snake " - a bamboo cloth from thin реек. Here only all rest, the found house did not suffice on all covering one piece. It was necessary to stick together from slices. In the beginning - a paper on glue, and then... Glue " liquid nails " and greater napkins from a fabric:) glue is absorbed in napkins, and firmly them pastes to wooden surface. But - should tell that it - yet the ending:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

I was wondering what your using for "stand-offs" on the front panel?

11. DireSnake

12. DireSnake

13. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Nice, just not sure about the snakeskin. :worried:

H.B.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2007
  14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

looks great

15. Tuppen^^

Tuppen^^ What's a Dremel?

This looks good, but I think you could have spared the snakeskin, and the big fan in the front ruins the cleen look it could have.. :/

16. DireSnake

I used a vinylic film with figure and a structure of a snake leather. Besides... I love snakes:)

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Interesting project. I had a look at the other ones on your site and there are some really great ones on there. I have a few complaints on this one though:

The finish isn't very good. It seems you rushed the top coat and there are a lot of drips that you could have sanded out and it just seems messy. The wood could have been better too, like a hardwood or just something besides presumably, pine.

My other complaint is the snake skin which just looks plain weird but to each his own.

On the positives. I really like the shape of it and they layout. Your stuck all the parts in a relatively small space. Also the front panel looks like a retro jukebox with the curve on top and the screen.

Over all, not a bad job, just need s bit of refinement.

18. DireSnake

Many thanks for your comment:) actually, the pine was used. Though, I admit, I have a little hurried with work - all case has been created practically for a week. This case is not absolutely finished yet, but already in the 3D-project there is a new case - with it I shall be much accurater:)

19. Tjedi AI

Tjedi AI What's a Dremel?

:clap: cool case
    im spy for you friend :eyebrow:

20. DireSnake