1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Wordpress Updates?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arboreal, 17 Feb 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have just been given a web site to look after for a small local charity.
    It is a wordpress template with pages set up for them, and a logon to update content.

I have logged on and there are update suggestions for the Wordpress installation. Do I need to do the updates? I've never played with this platform before.

Thanks

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Updates are good. You just need to check your plugins & theme etc are compatible with that version

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks, a bit of reading up is in order then.
    I will go in and take a look at what the updates are and what plugins are in use. I wouldn't want to break the site!

4. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Any previous web development experience will be a massive benefit. Sometimes you do need to make a major revision change to wordpress for security patching. The biggest obstacle is that sometimes custom themes and plugins haven't been updated for this. So you'll need to create a backup edit the current theme settings so it'll be ready to roll out with the update and press that all important button.

However if you have no web development or administration experience WordPress can become a massive ball ache. You need to think about what you can and can't do, and understand you have been made responsible as soon as you change any settings on the site.