1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Worklog] New Air Design - 540 Astray

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ricoroci, 27 May 2015.

1. ricoroci

ricoroci What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Welcome to my first Worklog on Bit-tech!

My name is Dominik, I am 18 years old and live in Nuremberg, Germany.
    Currently, I'm doing an apprenticeship as an electronics technician for devices and systems.

The last time I had been busy with computers was in the days of 9800 GTX + and Core 2Duo.
    Every penny is plugged into my hobby and my passion for computers.
    Furthermore I am an active model flyer and Modder, which makes it possible to get the perfect variety in modding and flying.

After my older modding Project RaG'ed and its little friend have been completed I want to try building something bigger.

It will be significantly more hand created and modified.
    Some time ago I have corresponded with a few large companies, which have taken interest on my modding knowledge. They took me under their arms in form of a sponsorship.
    My Current plan will include a construction period of a maximum of 9 months, enough time to execute everything perfect.

Fortunately I am starting this Worklog just now and not couple month ago where I started having plans. Therefore most of the needed hardware is already here. So You the reader and I the Modder will benefit of it. We both don’t want to have long suspense-packed brakes in work logs.

The whole concept is kept in white / red, because I think it's just extremely elegant and had been thinking about it in my first mods. First of all this color combination is somewhat risky, there are not so many parts available. Secondly is that I never worked with those colors and I appreciate every humble advice you can lent to finish this great project.

red = arrived
    gray= on the way
    gray = unsure

Hardware:

- ASUS Maximus VI Formula Z87
    - Aquaero 5 LT
    - Corsair Carbide 540 Air
    - Avexir Core Series MPOWER rote LED`s
    - MSI GTX 780 Ti
    - Intel Core i5 4670K
    - Bitfenix Spectre Pro weiß
    - Bitfenix SATA Kabel (sleeved)
    - BitFenix Alchemy Connect 30x LED-Strip
    - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 550 Watt

Watercool:

- 2x XSPC Dual Fan Radiator AX240
    - 2x Laing DDC 1T
    - 2x Laing DDC 1T Top

- EKWB 780 Ti Fullcover Nickel + Backplate
    - EK-Supremacy EVO White Edition
    - Bitspower Winkel
    - Bitspower Fittings
    - EKWB Maximus VI Formula

At this point I would like to thank Peggy Peng of Avexir for providing the memory, in John of Gosumodz for the super cooperation, with BitFenix and Caseking for providing the fan, cable and the LEDs and be quiet for providing the power supply.
    Also I wanna say thank you to my girlfriend and Julian alias hanssx2 who are supporting me day and night with this project.

Here are a few of the modifications which I will make to the parts:

Motherboard:

Mainboard is going to be dismantled, painted in two colors (probably via airbrush) and reassembled. Maybe I'm going to get the EKWB water cooler for the motherboard.​

Memory:

The four modules have already been delivered dismantled by Avexir, these will also be modified.
    I don`t know the exactly color right now, if you have an idea tell me.

Power Supply:

I will make an extra Custom cable for the power supply. The new white connectors are already on their way to me.

Processor:

Because I've had a good experience with delidding CPUs, I don’t want to depend this time on someone else; therefore I will take matters into my own hands.

Graphics card:

I`m going to use the GPU from my old project. The existing EKWB and the backplate will also be painted because there is no in white or red. ​

Fan:

Here I use the BitFenix Spectre Pro in the 120mm version, which I try to completely disassemble. The disassembling is needed because I want to paint the inner ring red.​

Case:

This is the main focus of the current project, this time it will be a real case mod:
    First of all, I`ll disassemble it completely. All unwanted vents and holes are cut and welded / soldered. In addition I will mill a two-bay reservoir for the front.
    Above the Mainboard tray I`m going to mount a cover, which will than house a radiator including the needed fan. My Plan for the Airflow is to let the Air run out of the back of the Case.

Thus, no water cooling components can be seen except the coolers and the Tubes, it will offer a nice clean look. At last everything which can be painted will be painted either white or red.

The power supply side will also greatly be modified.
    The side panel will be exchanged for one with a window where a radiator will be mounted to be the highlight of the backside.​

Last pictures:

[​IMG]

Have fun while reading and I hope you will like it.

Last edited: 27 May 2015
  2. ricoroci

Index

Index:

For every new update I will post a new topic in the index which you will find under my start post. With that I hope give you a nice overview over my ongoing project.

Newcomer:

3. ricoroci

Newcomer: Update I

ex Shinobi

Most of the hardware arrived over the last three months therefore I needed at least a mainboard tray with PSU bracket to test the newly arrived components.
    Because of the lack of a Benchtable right now, something else had to serve. Because the modding happens at the house of my girlfriend, I noticed a disassembled Shinobi XL which is leftover from an old project.

I quickly drilled two rivets open and ready was a solid, if not quite handsome Benchtable.

As you can see right now is the boxed cooler installed, this has a simple reason, better two.
    On one hand it was just a simple function test without OC, without games or other testing.
    On the other hand I have simply no other air cooler here at stock.
    I used my "old" 4670k to test my hardware.

In the following photos you can see the dismantled Memory. That’s cause Avexir delivered me them like that. That the possibility of damaging parts while modding is decreased. Everything worked just fine so I am eager to really start the modding.

[​IMG]

4. ricoroci

fixed, thank you.

The BB Code didn't worked.

5. ricoroci

Better?

Now it's a picture of work in progress :D