1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning [Worklog] - UGC - The Ultimate Gaming Chair

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Epidem1c, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Epidem1c

Epidem1c What's a Dremel?

Hello from Australia :)

Bit of a mod im starting tomorrow, so ill put it here as per forum guidelines and get it moved once i throw actual pics up tomorrow....

Situation

I have recently pulled apart my recliner as it was covered in the worst material imaginable. Since pulling it apart to merely reupholster, i had an idea to make it a little more gamer friendly, and bring it into the 21st century.

The Mod List

*First and foremost, it will be reupholstered, from a green red and blue corduroy (yes, i did state the original fabric was hideous just a few lines up :p), to a more simplistic black suede
    *What Ultimate gamers chair would be complete without an xbox 360 in built? the answer...none, so yes, an Internal Xbox 360 will be incorporated
    *Storage compartments for 2 Xbox 360 controllers
    *I could get up to change the volume or settings on my 5.1 Home theatre system, or i could use the remote, but better yet, why not have the rear speakers, sub and receiver incorporated? Can't think of a reason not too, so in they go
    *I have a few actuators laying around, so what better way to move the back of the chair and leg rest than by the push of a button?
    *A HTPC with a 17" touchscreen will also make its way into the final product, which will give me access to music and movies, and some game stats programs to make sure i keep my game up
    *Custom green lighting
    *Wireless turtle beach CoD exclusive headset
    *Modular side panel design, so i can adjust the theme of the mod in a heartbeat.
    *Temperature sensors to make sure all my gear is constantly monitored
    *I hate gaming in the cold, so an electric blanket will be incorporated on the cushions before i reupholster to make sure i stay nice and warm during winter (not to mention swamp-ass...... :p)

The Chairs' Primary Use

The chair will be mostly used for Xbox 360 gaming, and watching movies to kick back and relax

The Theme?? And Timeline?

Well, im a CoD Fan and have set the build time to have this done and ready to go for Modern Warfare 3's midnight launch. Now here's the good part, The parts you can see that are MW3 themed are actually panels that fit into a routed section of solid Radiata Pine, so, if i move past the game or want a new theme, i remove the panels, re vinyl them, and pop them back in for an entirely new theme (well, except for the black that is.....)

Materials

Radiata pine for the most part, stained quite dark.
    MDF for a few key panels that can be hidden
    Suede
    Aluminum composite (these are the lightweight panels i will be getting a vinyl (or possibly an airbrush from EpicPC) o cover so i can "switch themes"
    Some perspex will find its way in somewhere.....

So How Will It All Fit

Well, i have a few components from the chair to use, the back rest (not pictured as designs are still sketches atm) and the actual seat and cushions. so with this, i have done a little sketchup to get the ball rolling and show you where it all goes

Pictures!!! (Pretty self explanatory section really....)

[​IMG]

Your looking front on here (remember the back isnt pictured), so you can see the Switchable MW3 panels, The touchscreen and custom mount to the left, and various other pieces
    *the curved perspex parts will hold the controllers, these will have an acrylic vacuum formed piece within to hold the controller perfectly, this outer see through panel will open and close by the use of a hobby electric motor
    *to the right, you can see the armrest and its top that will open (just hinged) which will reveal storage space and some other surprises.

[​IMG]

Same sort of view, but you can now see the netbook which will run as my media server, and the reciever of the 5.1 sound system. the green part on the armrest lid will house actuator buttons and an LCD temp monitor

(there is another armrest top for the other side, i just haven't drawn it in)

Backlight MW3 Cutout for the theme......

[​IMG]

Backview, Not much new here....just shows the LCD mount a little better

[​IMG]

So what do we all think so far? the sketches don't show everything, but its mostly there, Sorry for the essay first post too!!!

Work begins tomorrow :)

Cheers
    Epidem1c (aka Koolkidd if you happen to catch my thread on another forum)

2. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

Looks like quite a challenge.
    Good luck.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Nice, looking forward to this :)

4. Epidem1c

24/8 Update

Ok so the first 2 days (albeit short ones) got me well underway in terms of the main boxes and base coming together.

Firstly, here is a somewhat stripped view of what I'm working with, and you can see the previous colours too :S

[​IMG]

Started by picking up a few goodies from Bunnings as well as some MDF cut to size, and the pine which is the main material for this build. Managed to get a few meters of black (ever so slight blue tinge, but im happy with it) suede

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i got to work on measuring, fitted a new blade to the circular saw and got cutting

[​IMG]

With the result of a few panels to start creating something resembling a box

[​IMG]

Now, some edges may appear rough, but they still need to be adjusted, sanded and fixed before there is any joinery to be done. the only issue i have is that i dont have a full fledged workshop to work in, so my tool list and potential work methods have been somewhat cut short.

After a few pieces were cut i thought i stand them up and get a gauge of the actual size of this thing......it's.....well.....beastly. i didnt realise exactly how big it was until ive gotten this full scale view. im not too phased, just means i can add a few more things into the design, as space won't be an issue :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obligatory Animal site Foreman pic....

[​IMG]

And back to work....

began some light sanding of the panels and their edges, making sure everything is straight and ready to join

[​IMG]

next i got to doing the curved pieces that will run along the front of the chair

[​IMG]

After i had 4, they were clamped together, and sanding begun to get each piece identical to eachother

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it went from that ^ to this ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was only a rough sand with 80grit, ill go over it in the morning with something a little smoother, and hopefully get a nice finish.

next i needed to cut the MDF inner sides to match the curved pine, this MDF will be covered in black suede, so as a final product, it wont be seen

still needs some cleaning up

[​IMG]

i have a friend helping, so where you see two pieces not done, don't worry, im not getting bored and moving on, that's just the point we left it at today as we had prior commitments in the afternoon.

List to do for Thursday August 25

-Sand back edges to a point they can be joined and stained
    -Cut pine for armrest lid
    -Cut pine for armrest storage area
    -Route front panels
    -Apply suede to MDF
    -Begin Joinery

The above should get me to the point at which i have the main structure complete, at a very raw stage.

From there i can begin planning each little detail as to what goes where, what needs adjusting and how it will all come together

Sorry about the pics too, i know they aren't all there, but im finding it hard to stop and take photos every 2 minutes :S. ill try get some more tomorrow of each little step.

Thanks guys
    Kk

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't see how random graphics all over it would be an improvement from the corduroy. Stick with black suede on everything. :thumb:
    -You might also want to check whether this design will fit through a doorway. As I remember: Lazy-Boy chairs have to be turned on their side to get through a doorway. I even remember having to dismantle one to get it into a customer's house. -Also they are friggen heavy!
    A side table setup my not be a bad option.

6. Epidem1c

Ive revised the design a little bit, i still somewhat want a green/black theme, however front panels will now be in suede, and the side doors will now be a tinted acrylic so i can show off the internals a little more.

ill post the new designs up later tonight