1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Workstation vs. Desktop Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ligoman17, 10 Aug 2004.

1. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 New Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference is exactly between the desktop and workstation lines of graphics cards from NVidia and ATI. My company is asking me for recomendations on upgrading some of our computers that we use for CAD, and I want to make a good/cost effective reccommendation. The CAD software we use, Autodesk Inventor, requires a card with open GL support plus at least 64MB of RAM. Right now I'm on a P4 1.6A with a GeForce 2 MX :miffed: , so I'm looking forward to an upgrade. Is there any point in looking at the workstation lines of cards? (FireGL and Quadro) Or is that totally overkill?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im gonna be wrong, but the older workstation cards were just standard cards with AA enabled by default. The standard cards were easily soft-moddable to them.

3. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 New Member

The workstation cards seem to lag behind the desktop cards on 3D standards. For example, most of the workstation cards I look at are DX8 and OpenGL 1.3, while similarly priced desktop cards are DX9 and OpenGL 1.5

Also, who are the best companies out there these days that make NVidia based cards? I've been on ATI hardware for a while now so I'm out of the NVidia loop. Since our CAD software is OpenGL based though, I was thinking of going with NVidia. I used to use PNY for NVidia, but their product library seems a bit dated...

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Seems to me that most of the workstation cards (FireGL, etc) just have dual DVI ports while the desktop equivalents at half the price are one DVI and one VGA.

But I've never quite figured it out either.

5. mime genocide

mime genocide New Member

get a desktop ati card and flash it over to a workstation card. a saw a link to a article on www.twistedmods.com to do it.

6. star882

star882 New Member

All modern video cards suport OpenGL.
    BTW, the high-end video cards ($400+) are actually meant for workstations.
    Out of all the CAD engineers I know, only a few have actually pushed a Radeon 9700 Pro to the limits.
    SLI GeForce 6800 Ultras are overkill except for the real pros.

7. TMM

TMM Modder

9550XT's would be extremely cost effective and not to bad performance (killer compared to a gf2 :D)
    if you must go Nvidia, some Ti cards would be cheap and pretty good, but no dx9 :sigh: and the fx series is pretty crap for what you pay for. :wallbash:

Tags: