1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World in Conflict preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Apr 2007.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Gameplay looks interesting. The devs have done something new with the respawn idea. Could be a massive hit, or a miss.

2. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

AFAIK Microsoft have never had a 10 year cycle normally 3 - 5 year cycle.

To be honest its not Microsofts fault your "top of the line" card last year isnt able to run the latest version of DirectX. Vista has been coming for the last year or so, you could have bought a lesser spec card and waited for the DX10 cards to come out.

I happily welcome DX10, to me there has not been a graphical leap forward in games for some years, yes the textures get higher res and games get prettier but there is wow factor so to speak and ok DX10 will give that and yes it needs a new OS to run on, new hardware but Vista has been 5 - 6 years in the making, that is a long time for the DirectX API's to remain the same

Kimbie

3. sheepdog

sheepdog What's a Dremel?

Vista has been coming for the last 5 years, not one.

Read Microsoft's own documentation claims 10 years. Besides that, they have never abandoned an OS as soon as it is replaced. They usually have a 2-3 year overlap. In fact how long ago was it that they finally stopped updating 98?

If Vista had been out 2 years ago, I could understand dropping XP support now, but dropping it the moment Vista is released is a bit much.

I knew when I bought the card it did not support DX10, however there is no reason the OS, only out of date by 3 months cannot be updated. If you buy a car or printer or anything else, your support does not stop the moment newer model is released.

Actually, none of it should be shocking. Nvidia and Creative both schemed to screw over their customers by forcing an upgrade, and it is not like Microsoft has the best reputation anyhow.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

XP is still supported by Microsoft
    they just havent released dx10 for XP, it sucks but i find it extremely unlikely MS will go back on what they've said and release dx10 for xp :(

5. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

game looks cool, but I'm not too hot on the alternate history bit. I am also curious to see how they handle unit control and the UI, cuz lately, I've seen some really good and really bad RTS UIs. Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes nailed the UI (though I must admit, it took a couple patches for the former to get rid of the rather hideous standard UI) but C&C3's "old school" UI just messed with all known and common key bindings for me, not to mention doing to rather strange bit of only allowing one command per key. RTS keybinding should ALWAYS be contextually bound, because hunt and peck across the keyboard is not a good way to win the game.

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the lack of DX10 on XP could be due to something different about the code caused by Vista's completely re-written nature. (in other words maybe it just won't work)

If that is the case then it is understandable; technological progress comes with a price.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Those 'shots look jawsome.

8. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Scan had it on the booth at i30, i gave it a play and it has a very strange interface and tbh it looks no were near as good as those screenys when i played it on there computers and they had them maxed out :blah:

haft to see when a demo is released

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

IIRC, someone quite knoweldgeable on the subject (I think it may have been John Carmack) said DX10 could work easilly with XP, Microsoft just forced it to be Vista only to encourage gamers to upgrade, as unlike the change from Win98 to XP, XP to Vista offers very few actually improvements for gamers and game developers.

Tags: Add Tags