1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows World of Warcraft on Dell Mini 9

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ducktapen'zipties, 30 Sep 2008.

1. ducktapen'zipties

ducktapen'zipties New Member

Is it possible to run wow on a dell mini 9?? my dell e1505 runs it good with the same intel gma950 graphics card as the mini comes with. I was thinking I could buy the cheaper one with the 8gb SSD and run wow off of a 16gb SD card.....ne thoughts? Ne one playing wow on a mini now?:idea:

2. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* New Member

3. ducktapen'zipties

I have ordered one and should get it soon! I will update when I get it:thumb::)

4. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* New Member

Just in time for the daily grind, Wrath here comes zip tie...!

Seriously m8t warcraft is good fun (up to a point) but when you see all the pvp cheatin and bot ridden servers it kinda takes the shine off it,
    I played and maxed out 3 characters, (no really MAXED out!!! 1 pvp, 1 raid, 1 twink, fishin, cookin, JCing recipes all but 23) - then one day I realised it was a crap game - kiding you into thinking that it's fun killing the same dude over and over again....I was makin 280g a day without questing!

I gave "several thousand" gold to the guild bank and deleted my characters....best decision....saved my mind.

anyway rant over the notebook looks kool http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2827
    as you can tell I hate WoW now but the Dell looks good :)

Matt

5. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i have lost many friends to WOW. Don't do it.

my old housemate said giving up WOW was more difficult than giving up smoking... go figure

6. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

.... as to your actual question (as you already play you most likely cannot be saved)

If you are buying the ubuntu version, you can run WoW via Wine, and if you are running the XP version, it should work fine out of the box (you will need to download the files however, which I can tell you from experience is a giant bitch).

However, you may want to upgrade the ram and check to make sure that the ATOM is powerful enough to run it (it is a netbook after all)

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

For someone with so much experience, you opinion is surprisingly uninformed. Warcraft is a great game by any standard by which it's possible to measure a game's quality; people just don't know how to play it in moderation. It's not addictive, people are just weak-minded. It doesn't make you stupid, people just don't know how to stimulate themselves with other activities.

In a perfect world, Warcraft would come with a guide explaining the concept of 'IRL' to players, along with articles on balanced diet, the benefits of exercise and the psychological importance of regular social contact. But you know what? It's not Blizzard's responsibility. They're just a bunch of businessmen and IT professionals making money.

Warcraft ruins peoples' lives because people are stupid, not because the game's crap/addictive/evil. I'm sick of people blaming their weaknesses of character and lack of willpower on a digital pastime, it's retarded.

8. ducktapen'zipties

9. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* New Member

Boiled Eli,

Sorry zip but I feel it is important to respond to Eli...

I agree with you apart from the "you opinion is surprisingly uninformed".
    The game was developed with the "intention" of using tricks implemented within the gambling industry to "catch and hook" people into playing and keep on playing for long periods of time.

* The colours used for items are intended to appeal to humans and kids in particular.
    * The repeat response to action stimuli has been taken directly from studies of "1 arm bandit and patchinko machines" - press button to get visual auditory reward.
    * The levelling and rep based progress scale is "engineered to appeal and feed obsessive personalities".
    * The drop rates are carefully arranged to maintain the "attention threshold".
    * The reliance on a carefully managed class / skill system for others within an online social group keeps the "OK I will - for the guild" mindset, playing online games should be focussed on fun not based on a strange sense of duty....
    * Quests that reward endurance at the keyboard, rather than game skill co-op and (in other words players who are crap think they are great).

This is not like the majority of games (obviously - apart from press button to get visual, auditory reward) - where game skill is more of a reward than game time, or where progress is measured differently, the journey is the game it's self not the destination..!
    Killing the same boss over and over and over....again.

WoW is not all bad - social online networking and understanding of how computers work etc...

HOWEVER
    * I particularly despise the approach used by Blizzard to encourage kids to play WoW.
    * The game has been developed - not with moderation in mind!
    * The focus on "escapism" and allowing "solo play" BUT in the context of "just finish this next quest, one more drop" to hook addictive personalities.

http://www.wowdetox.com/ - the stories behind these accounts are sad, saying they are retarded changes nothing but harms the children, family, education - turning a blind eye :sigh:.

In the future I am sure more and more games will have time limit controls as default (like China and WoW).

Last edited: 21 Oct 2008
  10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

I agree with most of your points, but still maintain that anybody weak enough to be manipulated by a game deserves everything they get. Psychological hooks aside, I still charge human beings with responsibility for their actions (despite mounting scientific evidence that we shouldn't). Only one thing I found irksome:
    That 'strange sense of duty' is social unity, it's what keeps gaming clans together. If the concept is alien to you, you should try playing at a LAN night with friends, or something, because it really does double your enjoyment of a game.
    Anyway, you can hardly accuse Blizzard of engineering human tendencies to help and depend on each other.

11. ducktapen'zipties

Can a mod please lock this one down??????????????????

this is WACK. thread hijackers!

12. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

what he said :thumb:

Tags: