1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News World Series of Video Games: The aftermath

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 12 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I still don't understand why they still use CS and warcraft 3 for these game tourneys? Surely there are newer, better game out there that have surpassed them in terms of quality? Surely something more modern is what they should be using if they really want to thrust gaming as a serious "sport" into the limelight?

3. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Shame that the "Console Games" category were pretty much all X-Box games. What of the Wii or PS3? It'd be good to see some tournaments with a Wii, then it literally would be a sport!

Seems to me like they're just using the same games every year, which surely must get bloody boring after a while. In my opinion, the best gamers are the ones who are amazing at every genre of games (well, nearly every genre). For next year's WSVG, they should spice it up a bit. For example, they could create a list of about 10-15 games (which the gamers would go and practice on), but only reveal what games would actually be competed in (say about 4-5) on the day of the event.

4. AClark

AClark What's a Dremel?

The Global Gaming League did actually make a formal application to the IOC about gaming being a exhibition sport at one of the olympic games, cant remember which though, pretty sure it wasnt London!

5. Caj Darkmoon

Caj Darkmoon What's a Dremel?

Halo 2 is obviously a classic xbox game, so it's not like they're playing all new 360 games. I'd imagine most of it can be traced back to the fact that the launch titles for the PS3 and Wii aren't as quality as the established box titles, and in the case of Halo 2 it's more competitive then the newer games.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is becoming a bit of Déjà vu.... in every tournament i see counter strike 1.6... i know it is a great game, i know it is the most online played FPS ever, but FFS please evolve and play more modern games, many of the CS 1.6 players i know only play it because it is the only thing their crap computers play.

edit: lets see if valve makes a secondary version of CS.S that has all the weapon and map characteristics that CS 1.6 has but with all the visual and physical goodness the source engine has to offer.

7. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

I really find it hard to watch other people playing, I really just want to be playing myself and the more I watch the worse it gets.

I like to see just how good these guys are though, it is reassuring that I am as bad at most games as I thought I was and I would never have been a pro no matter how much I practiced :)

8. AClark

AClark What's a Dremel?

There is a MOD being made at the moment that is intended to do just that!

http://www.cspromod.com (appears to be down at the moment though)

It has no affiliation with VALVE or any other company, just a bunch of guys with the know how!

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i heard of that mod.... but i think it is mostly dead.

10. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

Everyone has been saying that the cspromod is mostly dead since it started, but so far it has kept going.

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

the reason they play Wc3 and Cs1.6 is because of pro level playability, they aren't object to playing newer games in fact the rather non mainstream painkiller was the FPS of choice for CPL for one season. Those games have to prove themselves viable on a pro level in terms of exploitability, level of play etc. In the same grain Soul caliber 2 is still one of the fighting games of choice for consoles, although Soul caliber 3 was better graphically and for the average player a "better game" it had a few too many hitbox issues, and some never ending combos/exploits that made it both frustrating and unfair on the pro level. Same thing with WC3 and it's competitors, in terms of team fps for PC there's really nothing that comes close to Cstrike. I for one was at the WSVG at MML and a former semi-pro cs player, it was nice getting a chance to scrim against Team 3D and watch them play the finals match (no one dominates with nades like they do), I liken it to basketball or football, it's not like you need to change the rules everyseason to make the game more interesting. Those games have been played by the same rules for decades. Graphical updates are nice but I have a feeling some of these classics are here to stay as standards for gameplay in a pro level game.

in terms of gauntlet challenges (aka play many games, or have a game you don't know what it is until you play) from a spectator point these are usually very underwhelming or banal, PAX has a gauntlet challenge (called the gauntlet I believe) and that old G4 show was a gauntlet challenge, here's the thing when you get 4-5games going you'll get mediocre performance in all of them. the matchees turn into bouts of amateurism as people who are decent at best go at it in a match of noob proportions. I'm not an avid spectator but the reason watching q4 or Cs pro's play is because it's the mastery of skills and stratedgy in one game and the level of play is unreal. Gauntlet tournies (which I've played in) are usually the guy who figures out the good move first, or the person who's inherently a lil better at that type of game winning. Giving people a training period would highten the matches and level of play somewhat and I would be impressed at a player who coudl conquer opponents in all genre's. In my experience it just doesn't happen, fatality is an excellent FPS player, but I assume he would flounder in an RTS tourney, just as he's floundering in Q4 right now. Same goes with top RTS players they would do less than passable in Cstrike and lets not even start throwing in racing and fighting games (games with steep learning curves)

Tags: Add Tags