1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worlds first face transplantee shows off her figure...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Malvolio, 9 Feb 2006.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

AMIENS, France — The Frenchwoman who received the world's first partial face transplant showed off her new features to the public today, saying in a heavily slurred voice that she now looks "like everyone else" and hopes to resume a normal life.

Isabelle Dinoire's speech was difficult to understand, but she explained how she was disfigured by a dog bite last year, and she thanked the family of the donor who gave her new lips, a chin and nose.

A fine, circular scar was still visible where the face tissue was attached in the 15-hour operation in Amiens on Nov. 27.

"I have a face like everyone else," Dinoire said at her first news conference since the groundbreaking surgery in November. "A door to the future is opening."

Very, very cool. One has to wonder though: what do the family of the cadaver feel? I mean, your loved one dies, their face gets hacked off, and stuck onto another person... It's all kind of creepy, but cool at the same time.

Would you touch the issue with a 10foot stick?

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I dunno, is it really any different that having your deceased relative's heart or lungs or kedney or whaterer else recycled? I mean, they're not using it anymore, right?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Very cool, but I cannot but help thinking of the practical complications. It will take years before she has decent innervation of her new face, and years of speech and physiotherapy before she has some decent range of movement. In the meantime she won't be able to eat anything solid without a risk of biting her own cheeks. And then there are the immunosuppressant drugs that she'll need to take to ward off rejection for the rest of her life... It's impressive, but the outcome is by no means a guaranteed success...

4. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip New Member

i saw a documeentary the other week on this and it was very interesting,

they said it was more like a advanced skin graph that trasplanting a face a la face off film. its the muscle structure under neath that defines the shape of your face etc so transplanting someone elses face on to you will not make you look entirely different. you will have a subtle difference but you will still be reconiseable as you.

the thing is dislike is who it was done to, Isabelle Dinoire's took and overdose trying to commit suicide, the official press release was that her dog tried to wake her and mauled her face by accident. when she awoke she put a siggerette in her moth but it wouldnt saty there and she looked down and saw a pool of blood, she went ot the mirror and saw the damage..........

now i dont know how much was spent on this procedure but i feel that there is someone else in the world (remember the photos of the very beutiful brazillian girl who was in a car accident due to a drunk driver, and had her face badly burnt and is disfigured for life, or that brittish soldier who was burnt badly) who would have been a better paitent. how do they know that she isnt still in depression or due the the amouht of drugs/physio etc that she will need that she wont do it again thus wasiting alot of potential resaerch on how the body copes with this.

that just my thoughts

5. Nexxo

You cannot condemn a person for having been depressed or having tried to take their life. In desolate circumstances people do desolate things. Sometimes people learn, too. Everybody deserves a break.

6. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead New Member

I don't like two faced people

7. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 New Member

It's unfortunate that the dog didn't get a break.

8. Nexxo

I agree. But the dog chewed her face off. Ms. Dinoire harmed no-one but herself.

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

She looks like a zombie now. Someone grab a cricket bat!