1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about my uni course

Discussion in 'General' started by ajiKaBooM!, 14 Oct 2005.

1. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

I'm a 1st year student taking BA (Hons) Communication & Digital Media

Jobwise it worries me, I feel there is hardly any positions in this industry and studying this course is Medium/High risk.

On the other hand aspects of this course interests me. Can anyone offer advice or personal experience?

Thanks

2. dom_

dom_ --->

the parts that interest you are the drink and girls right?

3. ajiKaBooM!

Yea thats all good but when it comes down to it im also there to work and get a degree

4. Jaxx

Jaxx What's a Dremel?

It sounds like thats the kind of job that requires the friendship of a lot of people in that industry. I would suggest to learn the gift of the gab and start to network :)

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well, wouldn't this be useful to the press? Might help if you actaully tell us what's involved in the course.

6. ajiKaBooM!

Feeling tired, sorry here's what's in the course:

Communications Theory
    Media Theory
    Human Computer Interaction
    Multimedia
    3D Graphics
    Visual Communication
    Interactive TV Design
    Professional Practice

7. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Looks like you could get a job as an intern at a TV, or Ad company at very least. I guess so long as you work hard and get good grades you should do fine. It couldn't hurt to bug the School to find out if there might be some type of Co-Op or Workterm you could go on near the end of your studies. Also so long as you're prepared to move, you should find a job relatively easily.

8. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Degree certificates are nice and open doors but you have to have the confidence, drive and personality to stand out. Network, badger companies, find out who the HR contacts are and make friends. You get long summers, don't waste them, if you organise placements 2-3 months in advance you'll have no problem getting experience, it'll give you a chance to try a few different roles in the industry. Stay in contact with the people you meet and you'll be fine. I had to do all my networking in my final year and it was really tough on me and my partner so get started as soon as the christmas term is over. If you're motivated and confident you'll make a lot of friends and a good impression. Good luck!

9. ajiKaBooM!

Feeling alot better after these posts. Thanks

10. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

TBH mate not many people end up doing what they ever wanted to do.

I'm now 20 and 5 years ago I thought computers were the way to go, not sure what I wanted to do with them but I defintly wanted to work with them, so I do a few computer courses at college and high school and I left college half way through a course after I discovered it wasnt what I wanted to do with at all. I now own and newsagents/post office and run a 2nd post office one day a week. The hours are long but i'm my own boss (other than my dad - the business partner).

I decided against uni as I know I wouldnt have the motivation to go to lectures as I spent most of my college life in the pub (funnly enough, still getting some of the best marks in the year?)

The g/f's at Uni in portsmouth and she studying European History, now she has no clue on what see wants to do, I have no idea how she can even get a job that needs those quals, other than being an ambassdor, but she doesn't like learning languages! so she got a few small problems.

I wouldnt worry to much mate, start networking like someone said, make a few contacts and get placement job and hopefully you'll be able ot climb the ranks.

My older brother went to manchester met uni, he did a 4yr sandwich course and in his 3rd year got a job with Lloyds TSB he impressed the bosses and now works for them on over 28k a year. Making a name for yourself is important.

Regards
    Hope all goes well
    GiGo