1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling worring about water cooling temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elspuddy, 17 Sep 2004.

1. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

hi guys, ltns i know :p
    i'v just upgraded my systems to an amd 64 3400+ and a msi k8n neo plat and i'v also water cooled my system with innovatek (pre butil) kit.
    because i'm doinf F@H for team jsi i'mnow worred about them temps i'm geting.
    now mb say i'm 53c under a load aboud about 43c idle but i just cault my temps going up to 60c, is there any way of geting my tems lower say 50c under a load ??
    pic 2
    pic 1
    now the fan is a 120mm, but the bios says it's running at 980 rpms i'm thinking of replaceing that with a 120 sunon fan from my old 802 case to see if that helps, any more idears on how to get my temps lower ??

2. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

53degs with watercooling? Erm, you've done something wrong there mate.

Have you checked your tubing for kinks. Also make sure your pump and rad are completely free of bubbles as this will dramatically reduce their cooling ability.

Another thing to check is that the waterblock is on correctly with only a bit of AS5 (remember, less is more).

Seriously though mate, you've got problems if you temps are that high with watercooling.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Have you got the temps with air cooling. Some boards read very high. My old rig was up at those levels and when I changed boards it read much lower.

4. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Also.....is there enough air flow coming in from the front of the case??

5. magicpixel

magicpixel What's a Dremel?

Very true,...
    My ASSUS mobo ran at 65c+ under load with aircooling. Defualt cpu throttoling(sp?) in BIOS is 85c for overheat protection wich at first glance is EXTEMELY high but as Risky says, some mobos read very high.
    CHeck the specs for your mobo.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

P.s. My water cooled temps are now around 45c full load :D

Last edited: 17 Sep 2004
  6. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

it was installed by a firend, and he says it's installed o.k, btw if it was not installed the wrong way around, wouldent the cpu burn out ?

nope, because i was upgradeing the pc and went straght onto water cooling

should be, the fan is blowing onto the rad

7. DosX

DosX What's a Dremel?

Just an observance.

Most agree that some type of fan shroud will help alot. With your fan pressed directly against the Rad it leaves a "deadzone" in the center of the Rad.

Pulling cool outside air through the Rad is probably the best way to go. Consider putting some type of shroud between the fan and Rad and pulling air in to see if it helps.

*I assume the pumps on the other side of the Res?
    It does look like this right?
    [​IMG]

8. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

it's behind the rez ( the blut thing with a yellow cap) , just like ypour pic

9. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Is your computer stable? If it is then you don't need to worry about the temps.

If it's not stable then it is running too hot and you have a problem.

Tbh don't try and fix what isn't broken.

10. mime genocide

mime genocide What's a Dremel?

athlon 64's have max temps of 65-75 so id try to get that down a little.

11. dreamreality

dreamreality What's a Dremel?

well, if u spend over $150-$200 on a watercooling setup and getting 53c, i would worry a bit. Because i would just spend $50 for a nice hsf instead.

Your 90" elbow might be restricting some flow, but i dont think that would effect your temps THAT much.

Like mentioned above, a shroud would help your temps. Also make sure your waterblock is placed securely.

12. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Yes but who's to say the sensor is accurate. No motherboard sensors are 100% accurate. Another factor is whether it is reading the temp from the socket or form the die. There's a 10C difference between the two with my watercooling.

Also sometimes the socket temperature can go up when you move to watercooling because there is no air movement aorund the socket.

The only way you will know if your cpu is running to hot is if you have stabiltity issues.

13. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

TBH your temps dont mean nout unless you have some sort of aircooling to compare them against.

Its highly likely that its just the mobo reporting temps higher than they relly are. If i was you i would find a heatsink and put that on to test if the temp goes up. (and reseat the block at the same time) If it does then your watercooling is doing its job. You cant expect super low temps from that kit anyway athough as mentioned previously there are a number of differant things you could do to see an improvement.

slater..

14. koola

koola Minimodder

The problem could be that there is too many restrictive parts in your setup ie: right-angled cornners and waterblock.

It could also be that the waterblock is not correctly placed on your CPU. Make sure you have some good quality thermal paste under your waterblock - it helps alot :D

I get 27C (No load) and 34C (Full load) with my setup which cools the CPU, GFX and North Bridge!
    You should be seeing temp around 28-35C mark, not above 50C!

15. Darv

Darv Bling!!

They don't make much, if any, difference in a low flow setup.

Tags: