1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Worth getting a shuttle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cfuk, 2 Oct 2004.

1. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

I need your advise, I'm thinking of making one of three things lol HTTP server, small gaming rid or a home entertainment system. I was thinking about getting a shuttle, but is it a good idea? would a shuttle be any good as a server? i'm not loaded so i can't go out and buy like dual cpu's etc. If i was to pick a shuttle which do you think would be best for me to go with? i know some people have been selling them so i could try and pick one up that way.

Hope you can help :)

Thanks

2. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Sure, Shuttles will do all of the above and more. Just like any computer, it depends what you put in it.

If you're looking to cut costs, you'll probably want to go with an AMD-based system. Most people nowadays put 1024MB of RAM in a gaming box, but it helps a HTPC or a server just as much. Video will depend on how much gaming you want to do. Shuttles will take any card (even the X800s!), so long as it doesn't have a dual-slot cooling system, ala some GeForce FX5900 and 6800 cards. If you want a Zalman VPU cooler on it, you'll have to do some case cutting.

Now, the interesting part: storage. You could probably just get a 250GB drive and do okay. One thing that a big case wins at is that you can only put two HDDs in it stock, but there's plenty of ways around that. Some people choose to use a slimline drive (like in a laptop, for instance), and put another HDD under it, bringing your total to three. Some people go external. Depending on just how much you want to have in the way of movies, games, and files will determine your HDD needs.

Power is no problem, the Shuttle PSUs are fine. My 200w PSU runs everything I have without even the slightest hesitation. The 250w has power to spare.

Nowadays, unless you're doing a very CPU demanding form of serving, there's not a whole lot of sense in getting a dual-processor rig, anyway, since most apps are not multithreaded. Almost any PC will make a decent server with enough RAM and a big drive.

My recommendation is the SN45G or the SN41G2. The '41G2 has integrated video as well as an AGP slot, so if you're not going to buy a card for it right away, get this. It is a bit picky with RAM, though, so if you buy the bottom-dollar cheapo RAM, you may or may not have problems. Go with a name brand, and you should be fine.

3. xckid082488

xckid082488 Banned

My next-door neihbor(spelling) whose the same age as me, recently (2 weeks ago) bought a shuttle from www.buydirectpc.com and he loves it. Oh, and no, THAT IS NOT MY SITE IM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SITE!! :wallbash:

4. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Shuttles are great and I can guarantee that you'll get hooked ;) .

If you can, go for a newer A64 one as these are very powerful and gaming will benefit from it.

Tags: