1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors worth repairing suzuki alto

Discussion in 'General' started by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn, 19 Jan 2015.

1. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

got a 2004 suzuki alto, which has seen better days.

recently replaced some brake lines to pass mot, a month or two after had the radiator blow out (hole about size of penny, but rad had been badly corroded) replaced that and the car ran cool, however getting small amount of coolant loss (overflow tank fills up) which suggests something with head gasket.

there is also the issue that the gearbox is potentially damaged (took a hell of a lot of transmission oil, suggesting it might have been near dry (no leaks, so no idea where it went))

I'm planning on moving to another country in 6-8 months so would be getting rid of the car then, however, at moment I've been using a spare family car as I dont trust this for longer journeys (visiting family on weekends is 100 mile trip)

my issue is that although I understand the theory of how a car works I'm not the most mechanically capable so replacing head gasket myself is unlikely.

options I see are,
    some quasi-permentant fix like k-seal, pay a huge amount for another 6-8months to get it repaired, or scrap the car. thoughts please

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I had a friend who had one of these, super basic cars.

First thing to find is if it is definately the head gasket, get it diagnosed.

If it is it likely won't cost too much as the engine is the size of a loaf of bread, simple to work on.

Not sure on the gearbox though, my guess is if it goes through the gears ok then it should be ok, they ususally let you know if there are problems.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Unless you can do the work yourself then by the sounds of it you could get a little run around for what it would cost to get the Suzuki up and running.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Perform a "sniff test" on the coolant, if the head gasket is gone it will be allowing exhaust gasses in that are detected in the header tank. You can get it done at most garages.

Also, it seems that the thermostat has failed and was being masked by a failing radiator, which is very common. I wouldn't worry about it though, not for six months of ownership.

What made you top up the gearbox?

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

When you say Coolant loss, is it overflowing and coming out?

As most of the time the expansion tank is supposed to have fluid in it. When the cars warm, fluid can go into the overflow, then as it cools down, it gets sucked back into the main cooling system.

Quick compression check should give you an idea on whether the head gasket might have gone.
    Also, if there's a mayo like substance on the dipstick, or oil filler cap etc.

+1 with Bungle on the gearbox, if it works and doesn't starting wailing once you start moving then it's probably fine.

6. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

header tank > I'd fill the rad to the top, header tank would be 1/2 full, after a 30-40 mile trip then header tank would be full and its bubble in the overflow pipe.

the suzuki has never been a quiet car, over time it got a little nosier, after replacing the radiator, my father took it out to test drive, and decided that might need some oil in gearbox, at which point we put a lot more in than was expected can go through gears fine, just a bit stiff on 1st-2nd since filling up oil.

also, on thermostat, before would generally sit 1/2way on temp gauge with fan regulary coming on if stationary, but put that down to badly corroded rad. since swapping to new rad it hasnt gone above 1/3rd, and usually was running at a 1/8-1/4

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

have you bled the system for air since you refilled the radiator?

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Pretty standard, a duff radiator doesn't cool enough so you don't notice the thermostat's stuck open. As soon as you replace it the system cools far more efficiently and never reaches temperature. Unless a thermostat's £20, don't bother.

Are there any signs of coolant leaking out, or overflowing through the cap? If it's going through the block, any evidence in the exhaust?

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Doesn't sound that bad to me.

As long as you're not having to fill it back up after every run, then it's probably just finding it's level. Or as Harlequin says, might just be a bit of air in it somewhere still.

10. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

only issue noticed is that the overflow tank goes from 1/2 full to full after 30-40 miles, and on shorter journeys can hear bubbles in the tank,

11. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Hmm... is it the older style body that finished in '04?

If so, I have one with a *lovely* motor and drivetrain, but rough bodywork. Free, just come and collect it (N. Wales). It starts and runs perfectly fine, but I'm going back to 2 wheels, so no need for it.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Sounds like a busted thermostat allright.
    Running too cool all the time would cause issues in the long run, if it's cheap, replace, otherwise...maaah 6 months... :D

On the gearbox, sure you didn't overfill it?