1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Would a 'touch lamp repair kit' make a servicable touch start thingy?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by disco volante, 21 Jul 2003.

1. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

just a few quisk questions :hehe:

Hello everybody,

I’ve been following this thread with interest and am almost at the point of installing my touch sensor however I have a few questions and would be really grateful for any help!

1) Maybe I’ve missed this in the discussion but how do I power the circuit? I’m going to need some constant source of power (even when the PC is off I assume).

2) Will I need a relay on the output? My electronics is rusty at best but from reading the excellent destruction manual that came with the PCB from http://safe.spsp.net/cgi-bin/debco/TS-1.html it would seem im going to have a 300 Ohm resistance across the circuit when its switched on, this seems kinda high for a switch (but what do I know ..)

Thanks all, that’s it
    :hip:

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Welcome to Bit-Tech Timmmeh :thumb:

You will need a constant source fo power for this to work you're right, luckily you can get one from a wire that comes off your PSU called the 5VSB (or five volt stand by), you can only suck so much current through this wire though so be careful.

As for needing a relay you are correct, 300R sounds very high for a switch, i'm not sure if that would be sufficent to start your PC but i think a relay would be a safe bet, i'm very wary about connecting electronincs directly to my MoBo headers. REMEMBER: Always use a 'clamping' diode on the Relay to stop the nasty back EMF from damaging your sensitive touch sensor chip.

3. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

Thank you sir, you’re gentlemen.

Thanks for the reply, so I can get the power (a good start I feel :) ), it sounds like my other plan of having a piece of neon foil as my ‘touch pad’ also constantly on is a no goer though . Never mind :(

I’ve got the diode sorted to (the circuit comes with one for just such situations) however when selecting a suitable relay what do I need to look for? Have you got any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Whats the output voltage of your circuit?

5. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

If you're just using it to power on your motherboard, you don't have to use a relay. You can just use a NPN transistor of pretty much any sort. Much easier and cheaper.

6. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

output voltage

to be honest im not sure what the output voltage will be, i have not built the circuit yet and the manual only says it will drive an output of 100ma. i iwill build it and get back to you.
    :brrr:
    :hip: