1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Would love to mod but overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kelvinb, 26 Sep 2011.

1. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Hi All,

I have been into PC for a number of years and always wanted to try the modding side. Looking at these forums their is an abundance of information available about modding but to be honest its now got to the point of me being overwhelmed.

I want to put my thoughts across and to get some of your thoughts and ideas.

What I am finding is :-

1. Most of the attention given to in the modding logs are those modding experts, although I love seeing these I feel I would love to see logs that are done by people who are just starting out.

2. Information overload, I guess for me I need some sort of idiot guide. No I don't need someone to hold my hand but it would be good to get some guidance about what are the first mods to gain experience and what people would rate with the difficulty in skill level required to do this.

Maybe I am the only one who feels overwhelmed but I guess its people like me with a interest to getting started to be honest the community needs as eventually skilled modders will retire and people like me need to carry the gauntlet

So any help guidance, thoughts !!! :p

2. Xcellente

Xcellente What's a Dremel?

agreed

Last edited: 22 Oct 2011
  3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

There have been a few guides of this type.

In one of the past editions of custom PC there is a guide on how to create a window, how to braid cables and how to create an extra fan hole.

My advice would be to consider what you want to do. Why you want to do it. And what tools/parts you will need to create your mod. I've done a few little mods in the past (never enough to put the log up) and found it quite satisfying.

Small, slow and steady wins the race :)

Oh and there is an amazing watercooling guide on here in the modding section. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201254&highlight=guide

And this guide is a sticky in the modding section.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=90412

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Your modding career usually starts when you look at your case and go "Hey, if I added another hole here, my temps would drop significantly". Then it's just a question of getting out your Dremel/hole saw and go to work.

Every one of the people you see who do awesome mods in the Project Log forum started out with small, innocent mods like doing an extra blowhole, or a couple of holes for cable management.

If I ever get to it, my next mod will be to create holes and a holder for a 480 rad on the top of my Lian Li A05NB.

5. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

^^ What they said!

You could also go simple and just try to do a new paint job. Or add some LEDs if your case already has a window.

Check out the videos by MNPCTECH: http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterMawd
    He has lots of simple tutorials in his videos like how to paint your case and how to your mouse.

Good luck!

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I really am having trouble grasping the problem you have here to be honest. If you want to start modding a case, then what you have to do is 'start modding the case'. There is a million case mods and a million guides out there to give you help if you need it. You can ask questions here if you need to. Anyone can start a project here. You don't have to be 'experienced' or have some mods under your belt. It's just plain wrong to say 'only the ones who know how' are 'in the scene'.
    A lot of people on here are already making/modding things before they ever heard of case modding. I've made/modded things all my life and when I started building my first custom case, I did not know about modding or forums. Most likely if you are already making things and interested in playing around with things, then you will know a little about tools and materials. And if you are into computers then you will have put a fan in here, done some cable management there. Guess what? You have been modding.
    The bottom line is, if you really want to do something, then you will find a way to it. So turn the PC off, get off your ass, go outside and make something. :hehe:

Lance likes this.
  7. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Says the pro ^.^

Yeah just do something. But plan please. Otherwise it can be a mess.

I have started modding about a year ago, and I'm 17, and look where I am now. Not saying I'm on the same level as Mr. Attila but I'm getting there. You skills in modding/building grows extremely fast and watching other logs, and posting in them, bears a lot of fruit.

You can also PM some of the known guys here for help, but best is to look waht other are doing to get the idea.

Please don't hurt yourself :p

8. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

There surely are tons of ''how to'' guides out there, and you might feel overwhelmed by such a amount of informations, but I wouldn't see that as a negative thing... To me, the most important in modding is an IDEA. If it's just repainting your case or a complex scratch build, this is the starting point. Once you know what you want to do, than you just pick a guild how to accomplish it, and you will no longer feel overwhelmed by it... imo ;)

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. Have an idea.

2. Read up on how to best execute the idea.

3. ???

4. Profit! :D

Seriously, there are a lot if how-to guides on this forum, all under 'useful threads' (use the Search, Luke). You just have to be prepared to Google and read, and there's the rub. It comes on a silver platter, but you have to be prepared to at least look for the silver platter.

10. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I'm in the process of my first mod and one of my friends asked how did you learn to do all that to which i answered I read alot...and guess alot more. It's a bit like cooking sometimes you just have to go with your gut and what you think you'll like. Some simple mods to start with...Window mod nice and easy, fan hole, paint job removing un-needed drive bays.

A dremel is a great bit of kit as an all rounder that you can build on as you go for more advanced stuff and need more stuff. Just remember to ask questions if you need help there is a wealth of knowledge here even more so from those pro's of the moment that are doing the awesome logs from my experience they're all really quite nice and helpful lol

11. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Just crack on and mod mate.
    I keep doing little bits every now and again, usually after Ive over-thought it (Think lots, measure twice, cut once), my progress is too slow to make a log, mainly due to lack of workspace and cash at the moment while my fiance finishes uni, so I just update my progress in 'modding' every now and then as opposed to opening a log. Plus I only have the one case and its for my only rig, so I'm kinda forced to do tiny bits at a time.

You cant attain overnight greatness. The reason the threads receiving high levels of comments and interest are by the pros/well seasoned hobbyists, is that they're good at this stuff, but they started out just like you man... Bodging on mesh with hot glue and cutting less than perfectly circular fan holes in cases. So just buy a cheap n nasty case, look at it, think about it, and plan your road to awesomeness.

12. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Buy a dremel and get stuck in, check mine out. I,m no pro and it was my first. I didn't do much, bit of paint and some new cable routing. But i just found youtube videos tro help me out, i had huge plans. But once i had painted it, sleeved some cables and made some holes i was pretty happy. Next is a window.... but that isn't as high on my agenda as a new cpu, mobo and ram :)

13. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

well here's my 2 cents, being relatively new to the modding game and all myself.

Start with an Idea. Draw it out, Cad it up with your favorite program (google sketchup is the easiest and free)
    Make sure you decide on a color scheme. Don't be afraid to buy a can of each and spray some junk piece of wood to make sure you are happy with the looks of the colors.
    Same for lighting. Hardest part for me in lighting was figuring out what tricks and techniques are used to make things light up in different ways.

Think outside the box (no pun intended) for ideas to simplify the creation. Kids toys are very common to be torn up to use parts of it in mods.
    Be wary of your budget. If you only have 1K to spend and half way through your PC is in pieces and you're over budget... your left with a disassembled PC and a half assed MOD
    Pay attention to the slightest detail.
    TOOLS! make sure you have all the tools you can find or at least access to them. Find other resources available to you in preparation for the pieces you can not do, such as milling and CNC work.
    Read the "how to make a worklog" stickies. It bugs me when people are posting 15 meg pictures taken with their crappy webcam or PHONE and don't even give us the curtisy of resizing the blurry, dark pictures. Oh and PLEASE make sure whom ever you post your pictures with, that you have the available bandwidth for all of us to see.

Being your first time, start with a cheap box. Not a $300 case to chop up like I did.
    Some people have great mechanical skills, so starting with a scratch case build which is usually reserved for more advanced modders can indeed be started by novices. Only you can decide where your skillset is.

I hope this gives you at least a little idea. Most of all man, have fun. Thats why we do this is for fun, not a JOB (well for some it is lol).
    You can always start small, adding fans, lights, windows.

14. kelvinb

Many thanks for all your comments.

So from this my intention is to start a moddest work log as I have already being tinkering with things like cable management and also currently buying parts for my first water cooling loop.

I guess im in the same situation as many people here with familes and rent to pay etc.. (also a wedding to pay for and the Mrs wish list boy its going to cost), but over a couple of months of buying upgrades here or there should have a nice little blog. And who knows my experiance may help others but also gain my some great advice and experiance.

Cheers All !!! :)

15. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Practice on an Old Case.. Fan Holes, Boxed sections .. re-locating things new panels etc
    My mods still look like i am practicing ! Just enjoy it for yourself don't do something for the praise of others ...good luck

16. kelvinb

Thanks all just to show you all where im up to with my rig at the moment

:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kelvinb

This was my starting point :)

[​IMG]

18. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

I agree with what's been said so far, just go for it.
    Start small, or if your daring, big.

For an example of small, I just stuck the guts of a 3.5" bay card reader to the front of my 3.5" bays. [The 3.5" bays are useless without the tooless kit, which I removed a while ago.]
    [​IMG]

19. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

I'm very much in the same boat, and the way I'm looking at it is we just need to jump in there and do what we want, because it does seem overwhelming, but we mustn't let this stop us. I am, for example, slowly modding a case for an ITX server/file storage.