1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Would this mess up my XBOX live account?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Vimesey, 4 Sep 2010.

1. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Hi.

Until I go back to uni (in a few weeks), I cannot use my xbox online due to my family home having a router which has too low MTU which cannot be changed.

I have continued to play offline, earning achievements and such.

I was wondering If I use my live acccount with Games For Windows Live, as i have a hankering for some DoWII, would that make me lose my achievemnts earned on my xbox?

So basically do I need to sign in to live with my xbox before using the account on windows.

Many thanks.

As a bonus, anyone got any clever ideas to get around the MTU issue? Take it using ICS won't help.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

No, the GfW account and your LIVE! account are one and the same. You type the same e-mail and password into both systems. You won't lose anything.

I'm surprised it's an issue with the MTU. What model router do you have? A standard MTU of around 1500 should be fine with XBOX Live.

Vimesey likes this.
  3. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Well it's a weird setup, my family home is long and thin. The internet first goes into the Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router, then through ethernet (wired in the wall) to a Netgear DG834G (or very similar) to create two wireless networks. The xbox is connecting (trying to) to the Netgear half.

The netgear I know has an MTU high enough as i found the setting to change it, tried various settings in the 1400-1500 range and no dice. So i'm presuming the Belkin is the problem, it seems like a decent bit of kit so i wouldn't thought it a problem, unfortunately not familiar at all with belkin routers. Maybe they call the MTU setting something else?

Thanks, any ideas?

4. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Or maybe the MTU needs to be set to the same on both routers?

Clutching at straws here

5. Phalanx

Set both of them to 1500.

6. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Problem is I can't find a way to even view the MTU on the belkin, anyone know how?

It's this router: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459640

Thanks for the help, will change them to 1500 work when i work out how!

And sorry for this turning into tech support in the gaming forum, was originally a question on xbox live :p

7. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Ok worked out how to do that, now the xbox is just saying it can't connect to xbox live for no specific reason. I don't get why it's so god damn hard to get it to connect to live when even it knows it has access to the general internet, and no other device has a problem.

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Hmm that's weird. I've only had issues with the NAT strict thing with xbl (drives me insane as whenever I telnet onto my crappy router to fix it, the router will overheat and reset itself within about 12hrs of doing it - gaaah). Is there really no reason given in the network diagnostics now? Which bit of the test does it fail at?

Bit of a long shot, but have you tried giving your xbox a static IP and opened ports for it? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874/ <- list of ports used by the xbox.

Vimesey likes this.
  9. Phalanx

You could always test it by assigning a static IP via the MAC address of the XBOX (or does the xbox allow you to type it in manually?) and then dropping the IP into the DMZ on the gateway router. This would show if it's a routing/firewall issue or if the XBOX is simply being awkward :)

10. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Fixed it, turns out uPNP was causing the problem all along, now if only it told you that!

Thanks for the help guys +rep!

Tags: