1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you bother with a software firewall running Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yotta, 29 Mar 2008.

1. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Just wondering if 64 bit Vista's firewall monitors outgoing traffic, as well as incoming?

it was well documented that XP only monitored incoming traffic, but it did a good job of it imho (always reported as stealthed for me). Problem is my beloved Sygate PF doesn't want to hold hands with Vista 64 :waah:, so thought I'd look for another software firewall.

Apart from the monitoring and logging of incoming and outgoing traffic, would be good to be able to click a system tray icon and see the incoming/outgoing data transfer rates. The king is dead, long live Sygate! :hip::rock:* Yotta spits in the general direction of Symantec*. :miffed:

The list of programs I'm feeling lost without is really starting to mount, which is slowly drawing me back to 32x XP.

Did I mention the head**c* setting up of file sharing with Vista?

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Xista 54bit firewall is lovely, ive been using it since day one on my machine and ive never had any issues. This firewall actually works unlike the WinXP bolt-on windows firewall.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Vista 64-bit firewall is far superior than XP's laughingly called firewall.
    Frankly I think Vista's Firewall is just as good even better than ZoneAlarm free (I did not try any paying firewall version) and other free firewall.
    Yes, so now firewall company are angry, as they have to work hardware to present new features, other than basics.

4. graysky

graysky What's a Dremel?

You need a real firewall that controls apps accessing the net to keep spyware from phoning home. Does the vista firewall do this?

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It can do. Out of the box it just works but you can change all sorts of things

6. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

Agreed. I found the Vista firewall really easy to use and quite functional. :clap:

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my old favourite Outpost on XP didn't have support for Vista when Vista came out (and that's when i made switch to Vista) so i been using the built in firewall from day 1.

and combined with my router's built-in firewall, there really is no need for some professional firewall solution.

only problem Vista firewall may encounter is that games know how to add itself to the firewall exclusion list, so i expect hackers will sure to use those to phone home, thus defeating the purpose of a firewall

8. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Thanks for all the replies.

Just been thinking about my opening question: 'if 64 bit Vista's firewall monitors outgoing traffic, as well as incoming'. Well it doesn't ask for any permissions, so I'd suspect it doesn't monitor or block outgoing traffic, but I'm unsure whether that proves anything or not. Maybe it's just smart and knows the difference between safe outgoing data and nastyMcspyware's outgoing data?

What would be nice is a small app that will sit in the system tray and show data transfer speed when clicked. Non sidebar related suggestions appreciated.

9. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Just googled Xista 54bit and got one hit. :hehe:

10. atanum141

haha! I did notice my spelling mistake but i couldnt be arsed to correct it at the time.

11. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

What makes it even funnier is that first off I googled 'Xista' thinking it was a software firewall I hadn't heard of, although I knew there wouldn't be a 54bit version.
    In my defence, there was a certain amount of over stimulation through beer involved.

Was that a real haha? Hope you weren't offended.

12. atanum141

No buddy dont worry about it, it was way past my bed time whilst i wrote that. Cont believe you googled it tho..haha

13. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

The new firewall in vista is definitely an improvement over the xp one, but still it is not top notch. Have you tried Comodo? I think it is one of the best if not the best freeware firewalls on the web. Maybe not as user friendly as ZoneAlarm, but superior in number of functions and reliability.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2008
  14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Frankly the risk of you needing a more professional firewall is not worth the bother.

15. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

I'm sure there's plenty of people who would disagree with that.

Spyware messing up your PC is one thing, but not knowing what its potential outbound traffic is up to is another. Isn't spyware dialing home a significant percentage of world internet traffic?

On my XP machines that have Sygate PF installed there's a long list of blocked programs that seek unnecessary outbound connections. Even though my ISP doesn't count upload data as part of their monthly bandwidth allowance, I still don't like programs phoning home willy-nilly, regardless of whether or not they pose a potential security risk.

16. GoodBytes

Dude, you use Vista, NOT XP. XP core system was based on NT OS. Where Microsoft was like "spyware?!?! Virus?!?! who will ever do that? Hhahahahahahaha". All Microosft did is stupid patch hole that got rebroken again and again. Vista new core system, security was kept in mind. I am NOT saying that it is impossible, but a 8 year old kid can't do virus and spyware anymore. You REALLy have to DIG and try to find something.

If you have:
    - UAC turned ON.
    - Good, properly configured router and programs (not opening useless ports).
    - Know what you install on your system.
    - Use proper web browser like Firefox or Opera web browser.... MAYBE IE 8.0 beta, but we won't know until it is out.
    - Keep your OS and Windows defender turn on and fully updated.

After reading many documentations, read that most CURRENT viruses, trojans that fall onto your OS, with the above list maintained, they won't do anything other then standing there. Your anti-virus will detect it of course, but it won't/can't perform anything to your system. If it tries to touch a system file. EVEN YOURSELF, you will get the UAC prompt. Click on Cancel and BANG the program is killed. The ONLY thing that should EVER ask you for UAC is setups (for new, Vista ready applications)... if anything else.... spyware unless you REALLY know it is good and safe.

You are banned from even looking at my computer... WTF do you install?!? All my applications don't do that. Or I you using cracked software and such :nono:

17. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

I wouldn't want to go near it until you get your keyboard fixed, I hate those pesky stuck caps locks. :D

Think you're getting a little carried away there. No cracked software. If you'd ever run a firewall that prompts when a program it trying to connect home, you'd know that a large percentage actually do. I just like to know when they are.

UAC nagware is off
    router modem firewall yes
    Know what you install on your system yes
    Use proper web browser yes
    OS and Windows defender turn on and fully updated yes and yes, amongst others.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Frankly the risk you're running by keeping UAC off is higher than any potential risk averted by running better firewall software.
    Keep it on for God's sake.

19. GoodBytes

I 100% agree with Ramble.
    UAC is design so that programs don't access your system, and perform harmful things like. It is design so that if you run something that you know it is harmful by accident.. instead of going "OH NOOOOO!", and garbing your OS CD because you need to re-install your system, you can click on "cancel" and Vista will kill the process. And more...

If it bugs you, then you don't know how to use a computer with proper software. Already I still question how come you have software that communicated with the internet

Last edited: 31 Mar 2008
  20. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

You might well be right, but if UAC is so uber fantastic at sniffing spyware/malware, then why can't it recognize a user initiated program install, or the dozens of other interactions it nags confirmation for?