1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Would you pay for this?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 12 Aug 2004.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

I am looking at possibly starting a small home business. It is related to modding cases too! What I am looking at possibly doing, is to get a CNC router, and offer services to etch whatever in side windows, or (if the CNC can handle it) cut case openings.
    I would like to find out if there is a market for this sort of a service before I get serious about shopping for a CNC machine, as even small ones go for upwards of $2500 on eBay, without motors.
    Also, what would you consider a reasonable price to have a design etched in a window, and the design could be up to 20"x24" in size?

If the mods feel this is out of place, then go ahead and remove this topic.

Thanks,
    Jason A.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

You can do anything with metal (pretty much) with a CNC machine.
    Mainly, depends what type, i'm guessing cutting here though, you could market this much more than just pc cases ya know.

3. m0ng0lh0rde

True. I also had the idea of either myself or my wife using it to make door signs for people, you know the ones, "The So-&-Sos Live Here" sort of thing. I just happen to be more of a PC geek, which is why case modding came to mind. I just recently, using a Dremel tool, router attachment, and a cutting bit (bit # 125) cut a design in acrylic. The edges were fairly smooth, and when I put some LEDs at the edge of the acrylic, it definitely glows, much brighter than a "aplique" look design.

I figure I could use a CNC to do something like this, and much better than I could by hand (I'll post some pics of the one I did to show how bad I am), maybe chargeing $25-30 a peice, + shipping and handling. The acrylic would probably be extra ($15 for a 28x30 peice)

If there seems to be enough demand, I may look into seriously trying to get a CNC machine....

Jason A.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I actually do custom Dremel etched windows (I have a how-to on PimpRig.com about my technique, or part of it) and I normally charge based on complexity, material, as to whether or not I have to drive to U.S. Plastics, and I give a PimpRig discount. I do have orders sitting, waiting on me to move. I'd say go for it, if I think it's better handled by you (after i see your stuff) I may just send ya some business.

5. ChoBo

ChoBo What's a Dremel?

www.xport1.com offers a service just like this at a price of $38 dollars per custom window.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Hope your trained on a CNC, it takes a while to get into it.

7. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

if u got good with it u could always design water cooling blocks.. graphics card hdd.. also wat would b cool i would pay ass load of money for this is to have someone come in sit down at yr computer u design a cpu block or a graphics card block with them sittin there so they can have input on it. custom watercooling :rock:

8. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Isn't the whole point of a CNC mill that you can drop in a CAD design and let it go? At least on newer ones..

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

its not as easy as windows..
    most are system based now, but its very simple, and you still need to get into the swings of things.

10. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

you didnt learn to ride a bicycle when your father gave a bike to you right?

11. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Its not as easy as it seems..
    well to get on topic.

No, I don't think there is a market big enough for that. The real modders, will probably rather do it themselves. Or if they want it done, they will find a company who has a machine and ask them...

I think it would be rather stupid to start up a company, JUST for case modding. (cnc stuff).

The machine is too expensive, U'll never get enough clients to make any profit out of it.

but I do think a CNC company is a good idea. But I wouldn't stop at just CNC etching and cutting. I would start up a company, that makes Any part custom. For example, somebody has an old timer, and needs to get a new part for his engine, but can't find it anywhere. with the right equipment, u can built anything.

Router, CNC cutter/etcher, other machines, I don't know the words in english.

but you are looking at about 15000$ for machinery here...
    so thats quite a big investment.

I wouldn't try it on..

good luck though
    L

12. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I know it's not that easy but for just etching windows?

Anyway, I agree, there isn't enough profit. Modders usually mod their PCs because they like doing the work themselves. Maybe something like mnpctech is a better idea. Unfortunately it usually means you have to charge higher prices to make profits (cutting bits for example), and modders who know how to save their money will just buy them elsewhere.

13. m0ng0lh0rde

Well, even with the further thoughts I came up with (cutting custom circuit boards for projects for people in volume, my wife using it for making address boards and such) the responses seem to indicate I would not have as much profit potential as I would hope. I guesstimated today I would probably need at least 1-200 jobs, making $20 average profit, just to pay for th machine, and that's presuming the machine would run about $2000. Which is probably not the case, it's probably more.

Well, it was a nice idea...

Thanks everyone!
    Jason A.

14. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

I can add alittle to this....can you make some good money?...yes you can but not with just modding. To be honest and I hope no one takes this personal, but modders are cheap and window etchs can be a waist of time and money if not done right. My laser cost upwards of 20k and at $20 a window, well you can get the picture. If I charged what the "laser industry" charged for a normal job, say one of my windows, it could cost as high as a $60-80 job. The "laser industry" charges around $1+ a min for use plus material. I know that the CNC industry should be about the same. You have the right idea about having your wife do stuff, those kind of things she looks to do can bring in some good cash. Thats somthing my wife is going to do as well with stone and tile when we move into a bigger place, plus she can charge more then what I charge for modding products. As for window etchings there are somthings you cant do with a CNC vs a laser, but you can do some things I cant do with my laser. I personaly think that you would do ok with modding and the metal end of it, people need a cheap place to get there side panels cut with a pro look without paying for higher end jobs. If you try to make money and you put enough into it you will make money.

15. m0ng0lh0rde

Hmmm. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe this idea isn't as dead as I was thinking it was. Now I just need to get a quote on a machine from somewhere.

If anything, the cost of the machine is probably going to be the deciding factor. Seeing a line in a catalog from one CNC distributor, noting that "a servo motor system could cost $2700 or more than an equivalent stepper motor system" is kind of scary. At least as far as I can tell, stepper motors should be more than sufficient for what I am looking at....

Jason A.

16. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

oh please.
    i'm sure you didnt know the in's and out's of windows etc straight away.
    That is a useful thing in a cnc program.
    I know what i'm talking about.

17. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

Actually, I did ^^;;, well, i stole my brothers buuuut....

I would pay good money for custom stuff like that. I say go for it...if you have the extra cash.