1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WoW (Retail) hardware query

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jeff Hine, 28 Dec 2019.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

No; I don't need to know what hardware to run the game with... been playing for close on 12yrs to know that much.

What I would like to know is whether this sounds 'about right'...
    Ryzen 5 3600 & Vega 56 setup - 20% CPU & 100% GPU usage...?

I thought WoW was CPU heavy...?

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

In the 15 or so years the game has been out Blizzard has never really stopped tinkering with the tech beneath the surface, so on the technical front it doesn't really have much in common with the game it once was.

But the other thing is that resolution and graphics settings used can pretty much flip the CPU / GPU dependence of a game upside down.

3. Jeff Hine

That seems to be what makes me wonder if my 'build' & my monitor are imbalanced... I keep thinking a 1440p monitor might be a better long-term solution to what I have.

4. Anfield

Unless the game runs like crap there is no reason to change anything.

But, there is no requirement to run the game at the full monitor resolution, although 1080p might look better than 1440p as displaying a 1440p image on a 4K screen can end up looking a bit messed up.

5. Jeff Hine

To me, using non-native resolution on this monitor just further reinforces the fact that I should have not bought a 4K unit & bought a 1440p one in the first place. :(

6. Anfield

See the first part of my post:p

Is there actually a problem to be solved? Because a GPU running at 100% load is not by itself an indication of something being wrong, as long as the game runs fine you are golden.

7. Jeff Hine

Well, yeah; game runs fine, but my machine "isn't following standard thinking for WoW".

Anything running at full tilt when it doesn't need to be is, well... odd; just made me wonder if Vega 56 is not quite as game focused as 'other cards', aside from feeding a '4K' screen.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you run a high enough res the gpu will become more heavily used regardless of the game.

Also feel you're overthinking it :D

9. Jeff Hine

Makes sense...
    I do that a LOT... I get that the hardware may be happy doing what I ask of it, but - like everything in life - the easier a time stuff has, the better...?

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Last time I tried Retail WoW, I despaired at how graphically demanding it was getting. They've taken the Activision/Crytek route of over-engineering the graphics options to give people with 2080 Ti type hardware something to do, and the sliders simply go up too far. Like the rev limiters on motorbikes, they allow you to push it to a degree you shouldn't really be bothering with.

I had to turn it all down to about 60% to get playable framerates (back in Legion, on a GTX 670, at 1080p). Was astounded. Was concurrently playing Bioshock Infinite and Doom 2016 and getting twice the framerate in those.