1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW: The Burning Crusade Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Sep 2006.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Just a thought, i know i will definately be re-rolling as a blood elf but has anyone ever thought of creating a bit-tech clan for the upcoming expansion? im sure there must be a bunch of wow players here?
    It would be nice to have a connection and a united bond such as this site to create a guild from than simply people you meet online?

Sorry this is just a random thought :p

2. Torrment

Torrment What's a Dremel?

25 man raid instances would have made a good addition to the game, but eliminating the 40 mans has to be the most craptacular idea they've come up with.

As a member of a long established 40 man raiding guild... what are we supposed to do? The comment that they are leaving the old 40 mans in play is stupid. Who's going to want to keep clearing BWL, AQ 40 or Naxx with new content?

Maybe we people who are in raiding guilds aren't in the majority... but this move is being seen as downright punitive in nature. There will be lots of hard feeling as we are forced to pare down our forces form the 55 or so members we currently have to about 35.

We can only hope Warhammer Online doesn't suck

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

they are not removing the 40 man raids... all the existing ones are staying at 40. thats a fact, not a rumour btw.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think torrment's point is that there won't be much point running the old instances in the expansion as all the items people want will be in the new instances.

If you're in a 40 man raiding guild then in my opinion you would be best off to split and do the instance as two raids. Half the guild goes to one half go to the other and people can decide which one they want to go to more. Cutting players out of a guild is just going to cause problems.

Solidus, having a bit-tech guild would require us all to be on the same server. There is no way I'm moving off the Outland server as I have many friends there.

5. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I think the level slider is a good idea especially if you can get higher tier loot. The problem is once your decked out in tier2/3 stuff normal instances become almost trivial because you can tear through them like they were paper. I think it will breathe new life into some of the old favoutites.

Would be fun to run through RFC/WC with a twinked group of lowbies on epic setting :p

6. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

7. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

It looks good, I have to admit I've been keeping a close eye on all the various bits they've been releasing. Some of the new talents look very cool, some a bit 'meh', but that's always the way with such things.

On the question of why the draeni don't have laser guns (or some other futuristic equivalent), I'd say there are a number of reasons:

Firstly, their spaceship isn't a spaceship. It's a building, in fact it's a part of a bigger building (Tempest keep). It can move from plane to plane, but its hardly flying all over the place. To quote one of the blizzard people "The draenei nether-ship youve been hearing about is far more than it seems. Its part of a larger dimension-traveling fortress called Tempest Keep that essentially teleports through alternate realities. It doesnt bank and roll or shoot photon torpedoes (not yet, anyway)"

Secondly, it ain't really theirs. It belongs to the Naaru, the people that helped out the Draenei back when they were Eredar and running from their corrupted brethren, and then again when the Orcs attacked them in outland. The Naaru might have hyper advanced technology and suchlike (though given that they're energy beings, they probably don't require much except for big things like Tempest Keep), but that doesn't mean the Draenei do.

Thirdly, there's a long history in fantasy of having things like interplanar travel/moving between worlds and a few high tech items, but still using swords and bows, in RPGs there aresettings like Spelljammer and parts of Exalted. Generally there are issues like the high tech stuff being horrendously expensive, very hard to learn how to use, limited number of uses, limited resources to create it, and suchlike. Compare that to a sword, which you can hit people with all day, and not have to worry about radiation poisoning or it exploding.

I'd compare it to engineering in the difficulty to make and use the stuff, but many times more difficult.

And hey, if realism of lack of laser guns is an issue, what about the fact that guns should do a lot more damage than bows, and largely ignore armor.

8. Yosemite

Yosemite What's a Dremel?

i havent played yet, no reason, i thought i'd get annoyed. i played guild wars and the players were such jerks, calling me a n00b a lot just cause i dont know about power trees and builds and all that. the story sucked so all i did was play pvp anyways. i know wow's story is 100000 times better and more my style, but im not the type to play the same game with multiple players and get them all high levels, i will play sometime in '07 prob. but i know i'll have a great time.

9. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

Firstly, I can't wait for the expansion! (well... I can really, it's an expresion :hehe: ) There's going to be so much new content it's going to be awesome!

I think Jamie has hit the nail on the head. Raiding guilds with 55 (or so) members that do the 40 man raids wont need to downsize for the move to mainly 25 main raids, but instead potential upsize to 60, or 65 members and have two fully functional, consistent 25 man raid groups.

Makes sense to me anyway.

And besides, playing with the same 40 people all the time can sometimes get boring. If you mix it up a little with a bigger guild that has two 25 man raid groups there's more diversity without being out of control.

And hey, if one guild goes into the same instance with two raids at the same time, I think it would be fun to compete a little to see which group can kill bosses faster etc.

10. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

Looks like there was some miscommunication:

Source:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=28496684&pageNo=2

Edit: Solved! Now reads:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Sep 2006
  11. darkonerpg

darkonerpg What's a Dremel?

Why the Draenei have axes instead of lasers:

The Daenei did not build the ship. It was built by the Naruu, and race of light beings made of pure energy. The Naruu are also the reason Blood Elves are getting paladins (they captured a Naruu and are leeching it's powers). As the Naruu are pure energy, they would not make guns, as they probably use their energy and magic to fight.

The Draenei can operate the ship because the Naruu trained them in the light, and we assume how to use the ship.

So the Draenei aren't so much more advanced then the other races as they are cosmic stowaways.

12. DemonScythe

DemonScythe What's a Dremel?

The draenei aren't alien races, they are from Outland, and the Blood Elves were cast out of the Alliance because of human racism, have you played Warcraft 3, the Blood Elf campaign tells all about it, how the Naga saved them in that desperate time.

Besides, you're making the Horde sound like the bad guys.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Garithos - The main character with the racism.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Daelin_Proudmoore - He who started the war.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2006
  13. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

There is no good or bad side in wow. Just different perceptions. I actually see the horde as the good.....thrall was definately the most noble/understanding of heroes.

14. DemonScythe

DemonScythe What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with you, I was referring to much to the article. But, as Daelin Proudmoore's biography says, if anyone has to be blamed, it's him.

15. Perschdog

Perschdog What's a Dremel?

Release date

I noticed that at the end of the article that the release date was mentioned as december. A few friends and I were under the impression that it was in October and we just wanted to make sure that it was, in fact, scheduled to be released in december.

16. Drager

Drager What's a Dremel?

There have been comments made that guilds will just run 2 raids. The problem will come that you will have an A Team and a B Team. This will make the guilds divide their people up and then there is the issue of being saved to Inatance A and you want to raid but can,t because your saved to a different instance.

To me not having the instances for 40 people is stupid. Why not do it like they did with AQ, a 20 man instance and a 40 man instance.

17. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Actually the release date has been pushed back even further it is now early 2007.

Tags: Add Tags