1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wozniak predicts a win for Android

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 18 Nov 2010.

1. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

The old ones are the correct way up, when the lid is closed or when youre carrying it under your arm.

The modern ones are upside down so that when youre sitting somewhere using it, others can see youre obviously rich and ripe for a mugging.

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

3. BigMattB

BigMattB The big man cometh

I own an Android phone, and I've researched iPhone's greatly. I went with the Android platform because of it's excellent customization for it's software. There is such a strong developer backing with Android phones. Recently though, a lot of manufacturers have been making it incredibly difficult to "mod" your phone. I understand the business standpoint behind it, but I have always been a proponent of the "I bought it and paid for it, I should be able to break it if I want to" belief. It was one of the main reasons I took Android over iOS.

As mentioned by sleepygamer, the wide variety of handset types is also a plus IMO. It allows people to go for the sleek type (such as the Nexus One), or for ones with built-in keyboards (such as the Droid 1 & 2). And with Android tablet devices now coming out from many different vendors, it generates a competition for bigger and better systems. Competition is good because it makes the companies involved strive to make a better product to beat their competition, and before Android, competition is something that Apple had little of.

I don't think there will ever be a clear cut winner in the smartphone race, and frankly, I really don't want there to be. There are always going to be iPhone junkies and Android-philes, and the friendly pseudo-competition that has grown between these two giants is what allows technology to grow, and make it such an exciting field.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Doesn't make a big dif both are diffrent markets in reality

The iPhone today apeals everyone
    Android doesn't

Apple brand has huge mass market appeal nobody else would of sold as many tablets, and the brand is growing.

Apple with 1 phone have above 20% Market share very few other phones can even dream of such success.

I liked the desire I messed around with but my gf hated it for lack of ease of use. I liked the open platform idea.

5. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Nokia are losing ground badly and I think Wozza is right - they need to change their game plan as they are living in the past.

Why dont they drop symbian or whatever OS they use and do what HTC are doing? Just make phones running different Operating systems?

They could make google android handsets and also windows phone 7 ones - that would help boost sales as hardware wise they are fine but its the OS that is dated and holding them back.

6. Wingtale

Wingtale What's a Dremel?

For nokia to get back into the market they need to screw symbian and start again. The problem with it is that its just like a normal phone with touch capability. They could try using the android platform since HTC are doing fine without its own os

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I originally had a rebuttal to the above 2 posts, but then again it's futile to argue with fandroids so I canned it.

All I will say is that you think Symbian is outdated. It is not.

8. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

But Ricky, apple have their OS and customer base, Android will have theirs, Win phones will have theirs, is there any room for another division in the phone types? And room for it to grow in a market where people have to make their allegiance and generally stick to it once tied to the multitude of apps and characteristics? I don't know anything about Symbian though, I'm just asking because I'm guessing it needs massive support from devs to build it's base?

It will be interesting what Apple come back with next. Like others have said, companies are releasing attractive competitive hardware/software and Apple can't sit back and hope that people won't wander off to a competitor like tech sluts ... because they will!

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

This is all that matters to me.

I don't deny that iOS is the best GUI out there right now. But I have an intense dislike for the inherent lack of flexibility and as most people know, iTunes for Windows is ****.

Tags: Add Tags