1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrist tattoo

Discussion in 'General' started by ajack, 14 Jun 2006.

1. ajack

ajack rox

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo on the underwise of my wrist (on one or both arms) for a while now and have been considering doing it soon-ish.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the particular placement? Like is it a dangerous place to get it done? I know the skin on the underside of the wrist is pretty thin and obviously there are veins pretty close to the surface.

Also I'm a little worried about problems with potential employers (white-collar organisations and the like) and if it'll be frowned upon if I'm in an interview for example. (If I just have it on one wrist, I guess I'll be able to cover it with a watch, but I might like to have it on both arms).

So any advice/experiences with tattoos in general and about the wrist area would be most useful :)

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

Unless you go to a really crappy tattoo parlour, there's not much chance of them hitting veins.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Getting a Tatoo on your wrist will probably hurt quite a lot.

My biggest piece of advice would be this:

Design it, talk to a tatooist, and then hold on to it for 1-3 years. If you still want that tatoo on your body just as much as you did on the day you designed it 1-3 years later, then get it. It may seem like a long wait, but when we're talking something thats going to be on you for the rest of your life, it makes sense to be sure.

4. ajack

ajack rox

I was kinda after someone with some proper experience, rather than the usual 'wait for x amount of time then get it'.

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

..mine only just touches my wrist (stops about half an inch before the pivot point).

The wrist is a lot more sensitive than say, your upper arm...as far as it hurting, well, that depends on your pain thresh hold.

Just go down to your tattoo parlour of choice, and have a chat with someone.

6. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

cheeky!

Employers generally have quite specific regs regarding visible body modifications. The general rule of thumb is "if we can't see it, we don't care". So wearing a watch over a tattoo will be no issue. AFAIK in the UK there is a potential legal case for anyone who feels they have been discriminated against due to body modification, but it hasn't been tested in court yet. Having said that it really depends on your line of work - the most lenient places of work tend to be tech companies and call centres, with the stricter sectors being client facing roles and financial services.

In short, I think you'd really be shooting yourself in the foot by getting a tattoo on both wrists. One is pretty safe as long as it's coverable with a watch strap (don't forget, you can get super thick straps like this which will cover a slightly wider tat). As far as safety goes, as with all tattoos and piercings, go to a good tattooists, and you're unlikely to have a problem wherever you want your art placed.

Hope that helps,
    AH

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well that was actual advice. What do you want to know? It's going to hurt lot's, it'll cost somewhere between £50-100 probably. Ask around to find your best local parlour, go and talk to them, don't get it done that day, see if you're happy with the tattooist, talk over your designs. Keep it clean once you're done. Bandaged for probably in the region of 2-4 weeks IIRC, you'll need to clean those bandages every day, fresh gauze etc. There isn't that much too it. The most important bit is that you don't decide 2 weeks later that you don't want the thing.

That's definately the case. Visible tats = no job, in parts of the Financial industry, probably the majority of it.

8. ajack

ajack rox

Yeah cheers to both of you. I fully intend to source a reliable tattoo place, definitely not worth going to some random local one.

As far as employers' views on things, I'm in agreement with you AH in that one wrist will prolly be a better option. (I can always get the other done at a later date) and it's going to be small enough for a watch to cover it if needs be (very nice watch you linked to btw).

9. K

K 528491

If a shirt covers it, employers don't care.

Does it hurt? A bit. As much as any other tattoo really. Nothing to put you off.

Bandage your tatts? Err, no, don't do that. Just keep it clean. If your skin doesn't take too well to Savlon or Tattoo Goo type stuff (like mine) try something like Preperation H. Works wonders.

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

When I got my tattoo on my leg, I had it covered for a day, then applied savlon/tattoo goo 3 times a day. I didn't have to keep it bandaged for 2-4 weeks?

But he does have a point on the being sure.

I had mine done 2-3 times a year in henna for 5 years, then finally decided I wanted it permanent and got it done. Don't be rash with your decision.

11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I would frown upon you if you were a potential employee and you had a tatoo.

Then again I am a nazi.

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've got one going around my wrist and almost touching my palm. had it done to cover scarring from an accident. I worked retail afterwards, with no ill effect, but getting it done was very painful in some areas (over the tendons really hurts, as does the knuckle thingy right before your hand). All in all I don't regret it, and plan on extending up to make a sleeve of it.

If you're absolutely sure, go for it. It will hurt, it may crack, but it will survive.

And tattoo goo makes tats fade. Lots of people where I am are swapping to a saline based foam for keeping it wet. Ask your tattooer what he recommends for aftercare, as you can scar very easily on the wrist.

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Id still wait and see about wanting it. If its something youve always loved though, its probably safe. And by always, I literally mean as far back as you can remember. If its permenant, you sure as hell want to be happy with it when youre 60 years of age or older ;)

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm gonna agree with people who say be SURE about it.

I've waited 7 years after I designed it to get my first, but after the experience I'm going to finish the sleeve, I liked it so much.

If you want it get it, but be sure you'll continue to want it.

15. dom_

dom_ --->

Funny this ajack, i have been meaning to get one on each of my wrists t'other side. but about 1 inch from the pivot so its covered when i wear a shirt at work.
    I'm getting the four elements (two on each) as in the symbols on the stones in fifth element.

[​IMG]
    Kinda like that quick photoshop

As the others said, i have had tattoo's on different parts of my body. Some supposed to be more painful than others. At the end of the day the pain isn't that bad and 1 hour of pain for 1 lifetime of art is nothing.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Intresting, my brother got one done a few months ago square in between his shoulder blades and instructions were to keep it bandaged till it healed, or for a few weeks :/

17. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Different tattooists recommend different healing techniques, usually based on their own personal experiences of the best or what the parlour has agreed is the best method. For mine, I keep them bandaged with clingfilm and coated in E45 for 3 days (changing it three times a day) then take off the clingfilm and keep E45-ing for another few days.

I've got two bold tattoos on the inside of each lower-arm, one of which extends about 4 inches from the join of my wrist and hand, and I have never ever had any problems with employees. And by that I mean, if it's been an issue, they've asked me to cover them up and I've complied.

Pain wise, I expected it to be a sensitive area but it wasn't. Other tattoos in other areas have hurt more.

18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm also in the I-want-a-tattoo boat.
    Just been playing in photoshop, and kinda like this - link - not 100% my image, my edit though.
    What does everyone think about that as a first one, I know its diving deep... :worried:

Thinking of getting that, with red highlights with it being based on a Pheonix.
    I firstly wanted it on my left upper arm, but my friend says get it on my upper back, what do you think?

19. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

that will look completley different on your skin shadowed_fury,

just remember that ;)

20. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

i also agree with the wait approach ive got loads of tattoos and now want black tribal flames or maybe ice blue effect up both arms which will come down past the wrist , my advice on the work situation is if your gonna worry about that then dont have em , and my healing technique for zero scabbing is vaseleen its easy to get and a darn sight cheaper than e45 as for the pain my wife thinks im weird because i have never fliched with a tattoo i just relax and it doesnt seem to hurt , i fell asleep once lol having two done on my back at the same time