1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors wrote off my car

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 15 Feb 2006.

1. Quattro

Quattro What's a Dremel?

Then why did you buy it? Surely the point of buying a powerful car is to use the power? I drive sort of sporty cars regulary, we just got our new Octavia vRS 200bhp jobby and it's good fun, and I love it. But I love using it's power, whenever an overtaking opportunity arrises, drop it down a gear or 3 and floor it. It's great, although I do understand what you mean. Because you have so much power you don't need much of it to get yourself moving. We also have got a VR6 kicking around here at the moment and it's brilliant, so you've got a nice car matey!

2. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

For two reasons really;

1. Unlike my old renault 19 i actually appreciate this car, its more that a car its a hobby now. I wash it every week (and enjoy doing it) and spend money getting it the way i want it. I know the power is there to be used but its pretty damn easy to get carried away in that car and one error means i have to start driving a fiesta or something :/

2. I know the power / torque is there so i just dordle along with nothing to prove :p
    And unlike the g60 the VR6 feels very assured and comfy with its power and its a really nice car to just cruise around in, then just stretch your big toe whenever you feel the need.

Oh, and as i said i give her some serious meat on the track which is alot more fun that roads! Would love a drive in an Octavia vRS.

3. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

In the uk a learner is banned from the motorway for 6+ mounths !
    Urm heres my record,
    1st given as a mot failure - scraped,
    2nd turned out to be an mot failure (blody women drivers)
    3rd spent first 3 years of it life aborad and 7 years away from being tax free - uninsured drived wrote it off.
    4th stolen,
    5 crashed into taxi after 3 mounths,
    6th 3year old (only 26K on clock)1.6L V8 auto , mnn lovely and fast perfect for 80+ up the motorway.
    I love this car so mutch that its in the progress of having £1K being spent on it in mods.
    I just wish i had £5K for a turbo.

4. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I've been driving for about 2 year and have had 8 cars..... Sounds bad doesn't it!! But I only crashed one of them and that was within a week of passing my test, I just got bored with the rest.

5. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Not crashed, bumped it a few times into other cars though (not even hard enough to damage the paint)
    have came close a few times though particularly this winter, spun the car out braking (locked Up) to turn in to my road, luckily I was doing 15 mph> and just slapped in to the kerb.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Had my first accident in 10 years of driving yesterday. Thankfully I was in the works van. It was a bit awkward explaining it this morning but theres only the slightest of dents in the bumper. The guy I hit was in front of me, started to pull onto a clear roundabout then stopped dead about 3/4 car length onto the roundabout. I was just having a quick glance over my right shoulder when I hit him. My fault.

I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have been on the roads. His car was a state, big rusty holes in the doors, really messed up. If it had an MOT then it would have been the last one it ever got. The guy was apologising to me, he was a nice sort but he just wanted to get out of there. He was more worried about my van! I'm certain he shouldn't have been driving.

1st accident I've ever been in. Totally my fault as I went into the back of him, but it could have been a lot worse.

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

This is why us young guys have to pay stupid insurance premiums ;)

My first (and so far only) crash was 3 months after I passed my test. I was hammering down some country lanes at 2am, learning more about my car's handling and having lots of fun in the process. Just took a few bits of bad luck at the same time as me pushing it beyond my abilities.

Basically ended up braking through a left-hand corner with damp tyres on a dry road. The road sloped down a little which was enough to throw the back end out. I didn't manage to catch it and since I didn't know how long the corner was I was a bit screwed. I aimed as best as I could for the inside of the corner. Managed to come round the end of the corner sideways and hit into 2 parked cars (the first ones for miles as luck would have it) with the front of mine and finally spun back round to face the way I had come from.

No one was hurt. My car was pretty bad, but repairable. The cars I hit were a Land Rover which was unsurprisingly not too bad off, and a 2 week old Fiat Stilo which was written off, I think I damaged the chassis around one of the rear wheels and since it was new it was replaced.

Has made me drive a lot more sensibly since that happened though, and I'm glad I learnt the easy way (eg. not hurting anyone).

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Never ever been in a crash 3+ years of driving :). Family was in a crash a few days ago though, dad's car is pretty battered needs new door / front wing and huge scratches on the back door.

9. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

are you bassjunkie on barryboys.co.uk?

edit: is this you?

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Why not just drive responsibly? I'm learning to drive and while I struggle to learn, there's dickheads cutting me up on roundabouts (overtaking and using the exit I was just about to go down) and driving that close to my rear end they might as well have a cup of tea and a biscuit while they're passing through. It really is a wonder that no-one's piled into me yet.

I'm starting to drive our own car in the morning to work and unfortunately stalled it on a junction and I was just reaching down to reapply the handbrake when the pillock behind who had motored up pipped their horn. Our car can be a bit uppity on cold/wet mornings when using clutch control to set off and the missus (who's driven for a number of years and drives for a living) sometimes stalls it on the same junction. So it got me a little unnerved and I stalled it a second time. Nevertheless, I recovered it and set off on the third go. Apparently, the L-Plate on the back meant nothing (or perhaps it did? A given that it's okay to act like a moron if you spot a Learner Driver?)

I'm glad it's hitting home, but it really shouldn't be after an experience where you are not only putting your own life but other people's lives at risk.

/moan

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A lot of people abuse learners, and it's very wrong indeed. We all have to learn sometime, and it's very unnerving to know people are right behind you, ready to crash right into the back of you at any moment.
    Don't worry about other people, if you stall, you stall, they'll have to wait for you.

As for the after-test driving, you'll see, most people say "I won't speed" "I won't drive fast". All I can say is wait until you get a real feel for driving, once you've gotten past the stage of stalling and having to concentrate on a turn, you'll get the bug.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

People are *******s, they always do that to learners. It's only since removing the L plate (since passing, I didnt use a "P" or whatever) that people tend to just let you blend in more. I still stall all the time cause I've a dodgy first gear, but Ive picked up a bad habit of keeping the clutch down and fast starting.

Mush: sounds like the guy either didnt have insurance/MOT/anything tbh.

13. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If I read that correctly then he just stopped on the roundabout, then its his fault for stopping without a reason and your fault for not allowing enough stopping distance or not paying attention. The insurance companies probably would have done a 50/50. Sounds like it worked out best for you, as the paper is the worse thing.

14. james_2k

james_2k What's a Dremel?

ouch well at least no one was hert!

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yeah, the only winners in a 50/50 is the insurance companies. Hiked premiums all round. Pretty sure it was my fault technically but he shouldn't have stopped as the roundabout was clear. I could probably replace his whole car for £50 tbh. Better to try to keep it away from the insurance companies in this case.

16. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

Bad luck with the crash. I used to drive like a total dick when i had my first few cars, but these days I drive 'properly' as my car is my pride and joy - Same as the chap with the corrado. Must be a VW thing ;)

17. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

I had one like this. Going onto a roundabout that was completely empty and he stopped while I was looking to my right. Can't complain as it's my fault for not seeing he had stopped or being too close or whatever. Fortunately for me I got the anchors on just quick enough for us to only just touch and there was no damage to either car. I double check that the car in front has gone every time now though! Lesson learnt more cheaply than it could've been really in the end.

18. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

@ NiHiLiST nothing importand damaed then bar your own car )ladrovers are solid anyway.
    @ Bindibadgi i confes that i do it to female drivers that to 10-20 under 60mph,
    @ Kernel well i think i still hold the record for bad cars here then.
    I do often push the speed limit on the motorway and clear roads(75-80mph, man 80+ gets scary with all the morons on the road)
    @Alexb ive finialy got myself a good car and ive slowed down a bit (in towns and villages atleast).
    @ everyone. dont worry about stalling, ive managed to stall a NEW desiel van and a diesel automatic !

19. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Is that the junction near the Angel Hotel?

20. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

no offense but how do you actually go about stalling an automatic?

Tags: