1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other X-FI Titanium?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 13 Jul 2013.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro - no problems with Windows 7 or Windows 8. You have a good card there, enjoy.

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Yeah it was the Tit Fatality I had. I think that's just it... from what I read about 50% of buyers have no issue versus a whole heap of issues.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah agree. It would have worked wonderfully back in the XP days if it could be used as some sort of buffer but I can't see how it can be used with software accelerated sound.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Fmod which is commonly used in games, as well as other sound engines can make use of sound hardware acceleration via OpenAL.

I know Goodbytes and many others have had nothing but bad experiences with his/their card(s) and Creative as a whole but bear in mind that the Xtreme music is a different card from the rest of the range and relies on the CPU instead of the soundcard to produce effects.

Also I seem to remember some teething issues when they first brought out PCIe versions, I think they have been resolved

I was lucky enough to get a PCI Xtreme Gamer and it has served me well for many years. Had a couple of issues to start with but in the last few years it has worked perfectly, but then I'm running Windows 7 x64, not windows 8.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is the Windows 8 driver specific to Windows 8, or did they just ammend the names in the Win 7 driver? Most hardware will run just peachy on Windows 8 with 7's drivers.

My original X-Fi card - the generic X-Fi extreme skinny card lasted a couple of years then let out the screech of death and shuffled off this mortal coil.

I got the Titanium Fatality Pro ages ago, and loved it. My 'phones died and I picked up a bargain USB set with built in DSP, so I sold the card. My USB headset's DSP bit the dust last year so I tried onboard sound for a while, after splicing in a 3.5mm jack. It was terrible, so I grabbed another Fatality Pro on the marketplace recently. Order has been restored. :)

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've been doing some swotting and apparently EAX is all but dead now, with OpenAL taking over. I know a good few games on my rig need it and it's definitely installed :)

I have seen that there is a bug with SLI and frustratingly the 'fix' files have been removed from Creative's Skydrive. That could prove to be annoying though I could contact them and ask for them. Hopefully I won't run into those issues (they may have been fixed hence the removal of the files).

I'm pretty sure that you can use Win 7 drivers in Win 8. In fact, yeah, I'm pretty sure you can because I've used some Win7 drivers already for older bits (my wireless dongle for example). You do have to disable Driver Signing though, as 8 won't let you install any unsigned drivers unless you disable it.

I'm not even going to use the card right now any way. I'm still stuck with no desk or monitor and the PC is under the TV so I'm using HDMI to do the sound.

I'll no doubt dig out some speakers for getting it up and running though :)