1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows X Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by techhead, 8 Aug 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well I just installed the XRM mod from here over X3:Albion Prelude and I can already see how much more atmospheric it is compared to Rebirth.

I have just completed Flight School, so lets see how far I manage to get this time!

2. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i'm going to be attempting the exact same tomorrow :) kinda torn though, i want to do that, but i also need to install a new SSD and windows 8 in the same machine.

3. adrock

so i installed albion prelude, but my files appear to be terran conflict (from the numbers given in the install guide). bit odd, just re-installing albion prelude having cleared everything off , fingers crossed.

4. Pete J

Pete J Working from home?

I went back to playing the XRM mod for Albion Prelude for a little bit and happened upon a huge battle between the Terran and Argon forces.

Awesome.

I just wish AP had the same slow progression as Reunion. It's far too easy to make money and get factions to like you now. Also, there's no stupidly hard start (for example, Xtreme in Reunion). I'm wondering about playing Dead is Dead but you can't back up the file in the event of a reinstall (at least as far as I'm aware).

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Does someone from Egosoft come to your house and shoot you if you die in game?

6. Pete J

Oh, they're smarter than that. You get electrocuted by whatever controller you are using.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2013
  7. techhead

techhead Member

in a display of common sense egosoft have put out patch 1.18 on public beta test so if you have forum account you can down load it . you do not need L3 access

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355609

still lot of bugs to work out come and join the fun!!

8. Pete J

Has anyone actually completed the plot yet?

9. techhead

techhead Member

sort answer No .still to many bugs in the game the 1.18 patch has also broken other things in the game. It case of fix one thing a brake some else

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Most (if not all) of the cockpit mods for the X3 games just use very-slightly-modified versions of the cockpits from X2, which is why they look like something from 2003.
    I made own homemade cockpit mod using the same files, as I don't like the ones that other people have done. The existing cockpit mods involve custom UI elements that don't scale nicely past 1024x768; nevermind 1440p. :p

Are you sure you're running the right program?
    A typical steam installation of X3TC/AP in Windows is as follows:

X3TC location (TC mods go here): [steam location]\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict
    X3AP location (AP mods go here): [steam location]\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict\addon

AP's game content is in the addon folder in the X3TC folder, and its executable is X3AP.exe in the X3TC folder.

11. Pete J

The install directions are in this thread.

FOLLOW THEM TO THE LETTER.

Read it through twice before installing just to be sure.

I do wish there was a good cockpit mod for Albion Prelude, though as Zurechial says most of them are just tweaked X2 cockpits. I'm currently using the one recommended in the link I've mentioned above and the cockpit for the Mamba Raider is, well, not very good. Which is a shame as it's also probably the fighter I use the most!

12. adrock

i followed the install instructions. Steam insisted i've only got albion prelude installed, which crashed on startup (with no mods), and contained the files for terran conflict too, though i don't believe i'd had it installed previously.

i did a clean isntall following a my windows re-install on friday, all working now.

Gone humble merchant, i'm just wandering through gates, picking up odds and ends at manufacturing places then bartering at any station i go to. made about 150k so far, still some way to go to complete my vast trading empire.

13. Pete J

I'm absolutely loving the XRM mod, it makes the game much more exciting. Now when I see capital ships duelling it out I run like a coward as I know I'll get flattened in my little M3 (I've installed the high hull mod to increase all ship hulls). I also had an asteroid explode near me when a Tomahawk missile hit it - a genuine 'oh crap' moment as I had to dodge a few station sized rocks.

I'm saving up for an M6 now, which'll make life easier with a jump drive.

14. adrock

yeah, XRM seems good. If onyl there was a way to blend that version of X3 with rebirths visuals. Having not played X3 in a while i remember it as being pretty good looking, but having played rebirth it pales in comparison. Rebirth really is gorgeous to look at.

15. Beasteh

Beasteh New Member

Is XRM good for an X newbie? Just grabbed TC and AP in the steam sale, but want the best setup before putting too many hours in.

16. Pete J

Totally agree! I'd love to see the two blended together. Maybe that'll be X Rebirth 2 (assuming Egosoft survive that long).
    Absolutely for TC. For AP, it depends if you care about being able to play the Argon storyline or not (XRM is incompatible with the AP main plot).

If I were you, I would play through TC's plots (shouldn't take too long) and then if you decide you really like it, start over again in AP.

17. adrock

right, i need something more to do. i went with a humble trader start and i'm just randomly going from sector to sector, calling at the stations, buying stuff form factories and bartering a lot. I have made it to Argon Federation Member from that, but i'm not sure where to go now. Hell, it was only last night i realised i own an explorer as well as the wee freighter thing i'm flying around in (explorer's now on point).

I have managed to barter a moderately impressive collection of different missiles which i wasn't allowed to buy from the stations.

can't decide whether to play that, rebirth or KSP tonight, but it's definitely going to involve SPACE.

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hmm TC with mod or Albion prelude with mod...

Im leaning towards tc because il be able to play the story (not played an x game yet).... but is AP better technically/graphically ? (Being newer)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 4 Dec 2013
  19. adrock

i'm doing TC at the moment. i don't suspect i'll ever 'finish' it, but at some point i'll switch and have a game of AP just for the change. i don't think there's too much between them visually.

20. Pete J

Nope, they look exactly the same.

The only thing you'll be missing out on is a couple of new ships (irrelevant when compared to what XRM adds) and a tiny plot that doesn't really matter.

But hey, Egosoft aren't really known for their plots!