1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking X58 Memory OC problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Tesla effect, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Random BSOD, random BSOD & more random BSOD when I OC the memory on my x58 board. Get BSOD when CPU is not overclocked. BSOD when I use auto setting for RAM in BIOS. BSOD with XMP auto, BSOD with XMP timings/voltages set manually. BSOD with 1T, BSOD with 2T.

Doesn't seem to BSOD when RAM set at default x58 freq of 1066MHz but so many BSODs I could be wrong. Proc seems to want to OC but RAM does not.

RAM: Corsair XMS3 Cas 9 1600 OC x3
    CPU: i7 950
    Mobo: MSI X58A GD65

Somethimes think Corsair Force 60GB could be a problem but not sure. BSOD type always says Memory Management or Fault in non paged area or other memory related message.

At my wits end, I think about using lumphammer. I did this once with a Compaq machine when I couldn't open the case, wish I had done a video :D:D:D. On a side note Comaq machine still booted after lumphammer attack :D:D:D.

Please any suggestion welcome. Planning to check CPU pins are not damaged next btw. Oh & forgot to metion memtest 86 always passes.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2011
  2. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

...why are you overclocking memory? There's no performance gain to be had generally. Just stick with CPU overclocking.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

He's not, he's trying to get it to run at it's stated 1600MHz frequency lol

Have you tried setting bclk to 200 and running the memory with an 8x memory strap? Leaving timings set to auto?

4. Tesla effect

Yes, not everyone appreiates that the default x58 RAM frequency is 1066MHz, anything above is an OC. Yes probably can OC stable with the ram at low speed but it's simply not good enough.

OC aside though my main concern is the inabilty to reach 1600MHz with the CPU at default. Am I to just accept that is isn't going to happen on this board/RAM/CPU combo..?

5. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Have you tried bumping up the RAM voltage? Just don't go above 1.65v.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You need to increase the QPI and Uncore voltage as well on the CPU on X58 :)

7. Tesla effect

Thanks for the advice, on this board there is only one QPI setting, I believe some boards have QPI PLL as well, is this what you mean? I've had the QPI/Uncore as high as 1.4v in my quest for peace of mind. XMP applies 1.2v I believe.

I always set RAM to 1.65v, never above though. Is it worth trying 1.66v?

Have tried also tried setting the IOH to 1.3v but this doesn't help. I think the board is just rubbish tbh. Just wish that the Sabretooth had been available when I went shopping last year. I really don't want to buy another x58 board though.

Could the CPU IMC be the problem?

Do you think it may be worth buying another RAM kit? maybe try the Vengance? Will the RAM voltage @1.5v maybe help my situation? What about Supertalent RAM is it any better or much of a much-ness?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

QPI voltage is on some boards, like mine, the CPU VTT. I had to bump mine up by +100mv (to 1.3v overall) when using a higher blck to help stabilise my system with the RAM at 1600.

I also had to switch on XMP, disable Cstate, manually enter timings and voltage and force a command rate of 2T as, for some reason, it was trying to run 1T which kept crashing it.

Then again, this was my first intel overclock so I ain't no expert.

Edit: Oh, sorry this is at stock? Hm, none of your memory is funky is it? Either that or you need a bios update?