1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux x64 or x86?

Discussion in 'Software' started by LAGMonkey, 30 Mar 2008.

1. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Im planning on building a headless media server and router when i eventually move into my new house. However im worried about performance issues when copying large files to the media server bit effecting the routing function of the machiene.

I intend to use Ubuntu (as its nice and easy) and have found many guides on how to make it into a media server and also how to make it into a router (with QoS support).

I intend to have a RAID 5 setup along with one 100Mb ethernet port for the router followed by one, or two (bonded together) 1000Mb ethernet ports to access the internet network.

The CPU is prob going to end up being a Sempron of sorts and will be 64bit capable. Would i suffer or gain from using the x64 version of ubuntu? or would it just make my life a WHOLE lot more complicated?

Below is what i expect the wireing to look like.

the cloud ---- modem ---- [100Mb port on server / 1000Mb port on server]------switch ------- intranet

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I doubt there would be any problem running x64 i've never got around to trying it in anger but the test i done on one box seemed to indicate that compile times were down a fair margin (for kernels). I would make one suggestion if its going to be headless use Debian its much lower profile than Ubuntu and not really any harder all you loose is the eye candy.

3. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I was actually thinking about using kubuntu as that dosnt use Gnome, but i am a little.... intimidated by the CLI of Linux although having said that ive managed to do quite a few things while pissing about with the terminal window in ubuntu and ive got no problem with the MS-DOS CLI (was brought up using DOS :p ).
    Never used debian but from what i can tell ubuntu IS debian (in ways that i dont really understand).

Ta for the help

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Ubuntu is a sibling of Debian. It uses the same package manager (apt) and all.

OT, I seen no reason why not to go 64 bit, you payed for it ;)

Tags: