1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice X79/Z77 TITAN New Build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C4FF, 8 Mar 2013.

1. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Budget:
    £2000ish

Main uses of intended build:
    Premiere Pro CS6 (Large projects)
    Gaming and recording footage
    Always on system for streaming/downloading/uploading/transcoding to xbox

Parts required:
    GTX TITAN
    Either 3930k (X79) or 3770k (Z77)
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 or Fractal Design Define R4 (up for debate)

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    No previous build, currently using MacBook Pro Retina.

Monitor resolution:
    No monitors at present, intend to use a triple monitor setup of some kind, price of monitors need not be included in budget.

Storage requirements:
    Boot SSD (capacity up for debate, intended for system and software installations only)
    Large RAID/external drive cluster for Premiere Pro work.

Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)
    Yes, but only using BIOS/Software based automatic overclocking.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Support for front USB 3 ports on case.
    Support for 2x TITAN later on in life.
    Either support for RAID 10 or suitable external alternative (i.e. Drobo).

Extra information about desired system:
    Firstly, thanks a lot for stopping by and helping me out! I have been out of the PC game for a long time and I want to get this done right! I am selling my MacBook and building myself a PC that can firstly handle my Premiere Pro CS6 needs and secondly handle a GTX TITAN.

At the moment I am struggling to decide between X79 and Z77, also whether or not Haswell or Ivy Bridge E or Haswell E are worth waiting for in the line of work I intend to do.

I am in the UK so UK stockists please, I don't want to set my heart on something that's only in stock in the US.

The majority of components are up for discussion, I was thinking Corsair for RAM/PSU but other than that. I am basically open to all suggestions with justification.

Thanks a lot everyone!

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Here's a comparison between the CPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=552

The performance differences are rather small while the price difference is massive. You have to decide yourself whether it's worth it.

The two extra cores in the 3930K are the reason it's better in some benchmarks. The 3770K has better per-core performance. In games the 3770K is better. It's also noticeably easier to cool.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Out of those two cases I'd go for the Nanoxia - way better water cooling support should you ever decide to go there in the future.

4. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately, none of the benchmarks in that list are comparative to using Premiere Pro since quick sync from Ivy Bridge is not supported by Adobe, here is a more realistic comparison from the older sandy bridge (for this example, the 2600k is basically the 3770k)

[​IMG]

That's about a 30% performance increase give or take.

Also, if you look at the Premiere Pro benchmarks here the first 3770k comes in at 77th place.

I hope you can see my worries about using the 3770k? I am by no means completely set on the 3930k, hence making this thread, but all I can see from this data is that my encodes will get done 30%+ faster on an X79 build.

Unless I'm just plain wrong? Which I might be... :(

5. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

I was thinking Nanoxia too. It just seems to be a bit more well thought out, even though it's like a brand new case without revision. :)

6. Parge

Yeah, I know what you mean, but sometimes I guess they get it right on the first run! I don't think the Fractal was a must buy til the R3, then again, with the Raven series, Silverstone have gone backwards in my opinion!

7. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Bump for help! :)

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

if you're only going to play games and you're only getting a single graphics card, just get a 3570k and overclock it a bunch. the 3770k isn't significantly better than the 3570k for gaming

3930k is worth it because of the x79 platform's advantages, more PCI-e lanes, more memory channels, an upgrade path for CPUs... but all this only matters if you are going to do other stuff besides gaming that necessitates a faster computer

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Later games such as crisis are faster on the amd 8350 than the 3770k and the 3930k is faster again than the amd... With future consoles looking to sport more cores etc I would go with an x79 build.

Sales at OcUK recently would also suggest a "wising" up to this

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The 3930K is a 6-core CPU, so in highly multithreaded workloads it is faster than a 4-core CPU.

If you feel the extra performance is worth the extra price, then by all means go for it. :)

11. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for the additional info... Unfortunately as I said in the original post this machine isn't only for games, it's for trying to reduce encoding times too!

I guess what I'm really trying to work out is what encoding performance I am going to get with identical everything apart from the x79 3930 and the z77 3770. But this information seems to be just not out there. :(

12. Parge

It is out there, its just that you don't seem that motivated to find it outside of just asking here.

The answer is that obviously yes, the 3930 is going to be much faster at any tasks that require multiple cores, but this depends entirely on what specific software you are using.

Here is a comparison with a shedload of benchmarks

13. rollo

rollo Modder

I have a 3960k with quadro 4k Gpu for encode work but that's super high end compared to what your looking at.

Yes any of intels 2 6 core x79 chips will blitz the 3770k np but its cost thing.

If your getting paid for the encodes you do and more encodes = more cash you should buy either the 3930k or 3960k.

If this is just a hobby then the 3770k would be alot cheaper just a bit slower ( 30-50%)

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

if your needs go beyond gaming 3930k for sure then

15. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean