1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XARIG AQUA-SLI MKII - CPU Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xarig, 30 Jan 2005.

?

Which hard drive housing?

Poll closed 11 Feb 2005.
  1. Silentmaxx

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Aqua computer

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

How 'hot' do you run?
    I have around 120W heat from the cpu on my EVO, and its running 36C idle and 44C Load max. I have seen temps just below 16C on 1,6V in wintertime.. hehe..
    Maybe the Socket-A solution for mounting the block is tighter then de AMD64 way.

And about the bubbles sometimes sticking in the block.. Visually it seems worse than it actually is. In my case I shut the system off, let the loop going, unmounted the block from the cpu. Waggled it a bit and the water streamed right trough the 'airy' spots.

Still, you have some nice heat-packing stuff in that case :D

2. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I'm idling at 40c and hitting 55C after an hour of far cry - very disappointing!

I reseated the block and chnged the intake to a straight fitting, also drained re-filled and dearated the loop. can't think of much else to do! Except add more rads. Sc4mpi has been a great help and suggested a dual loop - very tempting. I think first I'm going to add an Evo 120 beween the pump and cpu on the back of the case. Only problem is the 120 has the mounting on the same side as the fittings face - so it will have to be in a push rather than pull configuration. I might see if I can be inspired to mod some kind of bracket to allow a push pull configuration.
    Should keep me busy tomorrow!
    If that doesn't yiled some better temps I'll have to seriously look at the dual loop idea. I just want to start using the thing for a bit of counter strike!

3. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Aqua-computer make the brackets I need - result. I'll mount the fan and see how it goes! :worried:

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

How is your loop setup right now?

Pump->cpu->nb->rad->gpu1->gpu2->rad->res->pump?

If that's the case... our setups are pretty similar. However you may want to go right from northbridge to gpu1 so the water gets cooled as much as possible just before the cpu (both rads go there). Maybe not, but it's worth a try.

Is it unstable or just really hot?

5. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Yep, that was the loop.

I just spent the morning, modding an Evo 120, dremeling out the fan hole, fitting the rad and a second fan. I'll post pics later. I'm going to eat now and then fire him up - I've left him dearating at the moment.

Haven't really tested stability just some initial tests to check out the heat - so you might be right, hot and stable - but hopefully it won't be so hot either now!

Last edited: 13 May 2005
  6. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

As promised here are some pics of the latest 'upgrade' to AQUA-SLI. Temps seem too high, so it's time to try the 3rd rad option. But before that I had better drain the loop ready for it's installation:
    [​IMG]
    I always knew there were better uses for a dressing table - that bottle holder idea could catch on...... they'll be putting themn in cars next, lol :hehe:

Next it was out with the Dremel :dremel: , I always thought that grill needed to go. I taped of the whole area and put the rig in a bin (trash) bag, leaving only the area for surgery exposed :worried: don't want any nasty little bits of metal in my baby :eyebrow:

The result:

[​IMG]

Now tidy things up and minimise an vibrations:

[​IMG]

....and install the 3rd rad, plus fan for some extra ooommph:

[​IMG]

I also needed to finnish the front panel with the logo. If you're interested to know how I made the panel let me know - I've got pics somewhere :naughty:

Anyway, my initial try at lighting was not good, so I knocked up this:

[​IMG]
    Because I needed it to do this:

[​IMG]

Because the rig really needed it to look like this:

[​IMG]

Now I just need to sort out the optical drive button and the tray facia and I think the front will be finished :D ANy ideas on how to 'make' the button would be very welcome.

My temps are better, but should be better still. Perhaps a dual loop is the answer - I think I'll throw that idea around a little more before perofrming further surgery :hehe:

I want to loo more at the lighting, I'm not really very happy with it - the UV is too purple and the tubes don't glow. I'm hpoing to go to Leftclciks at their new shop on Monday to pick up some alternative tubing options :rock:

Keep safe and let me know your opinions.

7. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

Speachless
    this mod is really taking my breath away

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Hi mate

personally id ditch that CPU cooler of yours, im not to impressed with the design performance wise and think they are just for looks, get a better aq block (i know that sounds stupid with the fact the evo's cost so much) but i think with a new block your temps will be alot lower!

the new rad looks really good on the back there :D keep up the good work!

9. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty tempted by this little beauty:

[​IMG]

Anybody got experience of this block yet? Leftclicks site say they have them in stock so I might be able to pick one up tomorrow :D

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

I was looking @ getting that block, in my opinion it looks to be FAR better than the evo, and i just think its a generally nice block!

i reckon that would perform ALOT better than the EVO due to the better design (imo)

11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi Xarig,

That looks amazing, what a great piece of modding there. I love how you have kept the overall look of the Eclipse. Its just so clean and functional. You shouled not be asking us for ideas on how to finish the front! With your work so far you should come up with the idea yourself and then we will all steal it from you next time we mod :hehe:

You have by far the best Akasa Eclipse 62 mod to date. Really really impressed.

Last edited: 15 May 2005
  12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

13. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

very extraordinary but cool

14. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

Wow, this project is looking good. Keep it up!

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

you may also note how completely bigger-is-better biased that thread is. I read some review in Gerglish (babelfish = crap translation) and it seemed to be the best block tested, all of which were German-based. I also saw a short clip of the new Aquaero software in action, and the guy's flowmeter was only showing .35L/min or so, like yours. In any case, I'd say go for it :D If it's no better, sell it to me cheap ;)

16. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

This is sooooo nice :thumb:

17. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

Dood, I love the front. The logo is very cool being back lit. I hope it's just the inside lighting you are talking about. That is very creative and accents the whole case.Keep it up!
    Mafia

18. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

OMG just saw them pics. :jawdrop: HATS OFF TO YOUR SIR!!!!!

A new block might be good but i dont expect it will give your much better temps . but it will kill your flow. (which i recall on msn wasnt that good at the moment you said) :D anyhows good job

19. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

Sharp looking case! :rock:
    I don't think flow restrictive blocks are as bad for performance as many people think. In my opinion most people talk about flow without any experience, they just say what they hear a lot of other people say.

20. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

i like it a lot especial the front - good job. :)