1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XARIG AQUA-SLI MKII - CPU Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xarig, 30 Jan 2005.

?

Which hard drive housing?

Poll closed 11 Feb 2005.
  1. Silentmaxx

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Aqua computer

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

great use of the Defyant style flex lights :rock:

2. ginx

ginx What's a Dremel?

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET that front OWNS, great work dude, i effing love that lighting you got going on

3. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

The restriction only has an effect on high-flow systems, which is what most of the people in that thread seem to be running. In a system like this, it will probably allow close to what your max flow was already. I say go for it.

4. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

good luck fixing the pc buddy . it sounds like the mobo might have gone.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Just amazing :jawdrop:

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I am in total agreement! Great project..

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, if I saw right there's an AC/Cuplex-type design on the front metal plate. Love the little details like that :D

8. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback and comments. Thanks also to everybody who has provided the inspiration and many of the ideas for the project. A bti pressed for time so won't respond individually this time, suffice it to say respect to you all :thumb:

Now a sad tale :waah: :waah: :waah:

15 minutes into a game of Far Cry and disaster struck - complete system failure. With much help from Sc4mpi we finally tracked down the culprit - a dead CPU :grr: There is no sign at all of overheating, but I did have some concerns in that direction as you know. Personally I think it's highly unlikely as the temps were fine in the loop after adding the 3rd rad. I guess these things just happen sometimes. I'm going to RMA the chip - I'm pretty convinced it wasn't my doing! Lets see if the supplier will agree. They'd better :grr:

These FX-55s do put out a lot of heat, even with 3 120 rads and a reasonable flow my temps were fine but too high to really crank up the overclocking potential of this rig.

So with some gentle persuasion from Sc4mpi and some help to design the loop (s) I am going to install a dual loop:

[​IMG]

I'm also moving to 10/8 mml tubing and compression fittings - I've already got some very natty blue tubing :D , which is way more flexible than the AC tubing. It's also blue and UV reactive - so no need for cloroured additives now. This little beauty is lined up for the second loop:

[​IMG]

I'm a bit worried about the blocks so I picked up an Innovatek XX-Flow and a Grapho Matic so I can test the difference in performance vs. the Aquacomputer blcoks. Though I still think the AC blocks are much more bling :naughty:

Okay, so the idea will be to run the CPU (blue loop) as follows :

new c-systems mag pump(hidden behind hard drives) > CPU > res > flowmeter > front rad > pump and the red gpu NB loop:

current pump > rear rad > GPU1 > GPU 2 > chipset > top rad > rear res Pump

There are some compromises here, the res isn't at the highest point for example - but there's nowhere else to put it :sigh: Besides I think it will look pretty neat on the back. There will also be much more tubing, which kida upsets the original aim of a really clean look - but there is a balance between form and function and in this case function predominates! Sc4mpi has given me some good ideas to keep things tidy.

I went to a dealer yesterday, PC Water Cooling and dented the credit card :worried: and also picked up a couple of other little goodies to include. But more about that later. The rest of the parts should arrive today.

So I've got 18 hours and a bunch of parts : let modding commence :hehe:

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

If the CPU is from OcUK you might have quite a wait :sigh:

10. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

i dint tell you to get any new blocks lol :p

Still woulnt mind seeing how they perform compared to the aquacomputer ones :)

( as for the res as the back it should be fine. if u fill the loop up. and let it up. the air will get stuck in the top rad. so mearly turn the case on its side. and the air will come out :)

Agreed.

Last edited: 19 May 2005
  11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Sorry to hear about the setback.

But considering your second loop, new chip and waterblocks I'm sure the end result will be very impressive.

The Innovatek Blocks have always had more zing than bling which is a great thing. I think a more industrial looking block would compliment your system more anyway.... :naughty: Cant wait to see the end result.

As for heat, NEXXO is running dual opterons GPU and Northbridge through one radiator with good temps so I'm sure the faulty chip was causing ALL of the headaches.

What happend to you being afraid to overclock this thing?? Sounds like you have been converted :thumb:

Great Stuff

12. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Okay folks the update you've all been waiting for.

The decision to change to dual loops meant a complete dismantle and rebuild - along the way I made some alterations to make it easier to do again in the future - like adding plugs to the LED shroud for the top fan :D

So first up, take her apart:

[​IMG]

and change all the fittings to compression for the new 8/10 tubing

[​IMG]

then start fitting the new tubing and second loop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new res fits nicely under the rear rad :D

[​IMG]

This tubiing is so much easier to work with as you can see here:

[​IMG]
    I really liked the look of this new pum so I decided to make a feature of it

[​IMG]

This little box really does the business, the flowrates are much higher than the aquastream. It's taking coolant from the Aquatube in the roof of the case, drawing it through the front rad and delivering to the CPU. The loop dedicated to the CPU, is cooled by this baby:

[​IMG]

I think it actually fits the look of the rig better - what do you think?

So put it all back together - I make that sound so easy - it took ages :hehe:
    and I let the results speak for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big thanks :thumb: to Sc4mpi for all his help in the design of the loops.

I'm now running with a 3200 chip while I wait to get the FX-55 RMA'd temps look good with the 3200 so ready to try some overclocking.

I'm running the C-Systems pump from the mb fan header at the moment so its not getting a full 12v - I need to figure out if I can change that in the BIOS. Otherwise I'll need to lose a fan on the Aquero and hook the pump up to it.

Comments and questions always welcome.

13. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the inspiration Defyant :thumb:

14. Firehed

Looks very nice! Is that a MAG or a 750-II?

That CPU waterblock really fits in with the style of the mod and the tubing looks great. Just be careful with those zipties for organizing things...

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i was offered one of those cpu blocks for free a while back :( wish i hadve said yes!!!

that new tubing looks great in there! and so does dual loop, doesnt look as cramped as i'd of expected the extra tubing to be! good job!

16. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks Firehed, it's a MAG :D . I've adjusted the zip ties since I took that photo, it was slightly restricting the tube, but not as much as the photo looks.

17. Firehed

Sweet! I still need to plumb in my MAG, and seeing how similar our systems are, I'm not too worried about it not having enough power (not that I was before, it should be quite a bit better than the 750's I'm using now).

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

That is just gorgeous :rock: Is it just me, or does the 6600 GT on the top look like its bending?

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thats fantastic...WOW

Now get on the phone to "Custom PC" magazine and net yourself some free hardware to build a humble home PC!

That front is simply amazing.

I know you will find an alternative to the zip ties...maybe NEXXO can help with pointing you in the direction of some home separators....damn make them yourself you have the POWA!!!

:waah: beautiful :thumb:

20. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

DUDE get that in CPC AND I WILL CRY!!!

im making a bong cooler for my u2-ufo and want to enter it into CPC, but if you enter theres no way my rig will compare :O :O dude i love your work its e-mazing!!!

that 6600gt does look like its bending in some weird way, its just like hmmm

edit: GODDAM YOUR CASE IS SEXY!!! i love the overall look man... you have powa!!! dude... wowzer!