1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XARIG AQUA-SLI MKII - CPU Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xarig, 30 Jan 2005.

?

Which hard drive housing?

Poll closed 11 Feb 2005.
  1. Silentmaxx

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Aqua computer

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I got the pump FMG and fan grill 'chromed' by an electro plating company, otherwise it's all done by my own hands :D

That's the point of modding really, at least for me it is :dremel:

2. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Tornado: Skillfull people here in bit, eh?

3. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Ok.... so you guys made the point..updates are needed.

Today I ordered a couple of XFX 6800 GTs, an FX-55, 1GB of Corsair DDR XMS4400 TwinX RAM and a PX-712SA Serial ATA 12x4x DVD±RW ReWriter. Having just ordered the remainder of my AC cooling components yesterday I am now feeling skint..... but happy to be back on the modding journey of discovery :hip:

I got to work on a couple of small things tonight:
    [​IMG]

First up I sleeved the LED cables for my Aquero (don't fret the bit at the plug end won't be visible)

Then I got to work on the faceplate that will house my switches - I decided not to make any changes to the vertical plate up the right hand side)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously there's more to be done with this - drilling holes for the switches, chroming etc.
    There's a sneak preview of the work in progress for the 5.25" drive bay area above, I've got a couple of interesting ideas for that....... but that's for a later date :naughty:

Anybody got a link or suggestions for some 'different' switches, I love the vandal resistent switches but they are all momentary - no good for my lighting etc.

That's it for now folks

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Nice work so far! :thumb:
    Ive got a similar case ( the globalwin version) and your doing many things that i had planned to do, namely the vertical bit down the right hand side to use some different power buttons and the plexi on the floor, the drive cages and the rad up front and the aqua-tube res! Guessing my ideas either weren't that original or just great minds think alike!

As for different switches i used these as my cathode swtiches, they look good, need quite a force to push them and make a nice 'click' when locked.

5. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Whhoooaah........freaky, I was looking at those exact same switches in Maplin's a couple of weeks ago! :thumb:

Would love to see your work when you get started.

6. Stickeh

Very freaky :D
    Definately the Great Minds Think Alike.
    Im currently planning the mods atm, got the case pretty much sketchup'd now having a problem with the front ( got the curves right just trying to make the grill ). Sketchup image

How did you attach the plexi to the front panel, and what does the panel look like beneath the plexi?

If you could send some higher res and brighter pix to lankyjames ( at )gmail (dot)com that would be great.

7. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Stickeh, give me a few days and I'll try to sort out some photos for you. I'm never in during daylight at the moment :sigh: I should be able to take some shots at the weekend.

8. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

:D yum, yum, kit has started to arrive now. Big shout to Jessica at Leftclicks.co.uk the first lot of AC gear has arrived only 2 days after I placed the order. You guys in the US are really missing out. Give her a call she might be able to ship to the USA, at least she speaks English if you have to resort to going overseas for your AC gear.

So here's a taster
    [​IMG]

All my other components arrived today...cheers Overclock.co.uk , very prompt :clap:
    [​IMG]

Obviously there's loads to do before this little lot can be happily housed. I'm hoping get a reasonable amount this weekend.....updates coming soon.

Incidentally, do you folks check your gear first, pre-modded as a complete systme before you start voiding all the warranties :naughty: I'm kinda' debating it with myself at the moment. This lot wasn't cheap so I'd hate to mod a faulty component and then have no chance of RMA ing it........ but on the other hand it would only delay my progress....... decisions, decisions :wallbash:

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Very nice gear, I look forward to see it garnished into the chasis :D When are you planning on getting the AquaComputer blocks for the graphics cards?

10. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

If I had all the computer parts in, I would test the system first. Sadly enough I can't do that because there's no store in Holland that can deliver me the AMD FX-55 and I don't have another CPU I can test it with. I'll just have to take the risk. I cross my fingers when I fire up the thing, if anything isn't working I will have a enormous problem taking everything apart again.

11. Stickeh

Test your gear in the 'open air' first, just assamble (sp) on a table and make sure it all works , get windows installed onto a harddisk, then once youve got everything voided youve got a hdd that you know ( or hope ) will work.

Im shooting off next week, for the week, so youve got plenty of time to take some shots mate. Many thanks.

12. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Definately bench test *everything*... especially with the value of those items!

And I dont mean "Ok, it boots!"

I mean hit it with memtest86 to pound on the RAM and make sure it is free of defects, install a copy of the OS and then drop on something like SisSoft SANDRA and run a burn in on it, make sure your CPU,HSF, MOBO subsystems, Hard Drive... everything... is working.

You'll thank yourself later for the peace of mind of at least the base line experience.

Now.. where is it you live? ;) :naughty:

Lookin mighty fine there bro!

13. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I LOVE AC gear...A wonderful picture :D
    I have been in touch with Leftclicks and they do ship to the States, but you need to pay with PayPal..Which I hate..
    Looking good. :thumb:

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh FX-55 you b*stard! I really need to hit 2.7ghz on my 3000+ now... all of you with your damn good projects and FX55's and me with SLI 6800GTs and a measly 3000+. Luckily I should be able to.

DEFINATELY test the proc with the stock heatsink first, that way if it is dead for some reason you haven't yet killed your warrantee. Less critical on my $150 3000+ than your $1k+ FX55. I mean do it with everything but especially the processor. Who cares if it takes an extra week if the alternative is killing two grand worth of hardware...?

15. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

sorry to say this m8, the a8n sli deluxe, i have it, OC sux with it... :wallbash: so try to change it for dfi ultra d ...... and you can take the S**T out of that fx 55....

nice mod so far i like the plexy bottom and the chrome looks :jawdrop:

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Can you prove it 'sux'? Everyones system is different, perhaps your RAM etc. is letting you down. You shouldn't go making accusations like that against a very popular SLi board without backing yourself with proof :grr:

17. leviathan18

ok visit XS and surf the forum you will see waht i mean....

i have the A8N sli rock stable nice layout but DFI OC betters even the msi OC better than the A8N sli you can look at anandtech and see the round up too DFI and MSI gold winner DFI for OC and MSI for add ons...

but the best site to see ppl changing over DFI because they had bad OC with asus in is xtremesystems.org forums..... :thumb:

edit: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56607 DFI... and everybody uses DFi to take the S**T out of FX 55

18. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

such a pain to read your posts :sigh: Agreeed, the DFI is better, but he can still OC with the board, plus it looks a lot better, I mean, I love dfi, and I have their Lanparty UT 250gb board, but the yellow...It throws off everything...

19. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

The stability of the DFI isn't quite what it should be. Start a MOD yourself and you can put in what you want.

20. leviathan18

no, DFI is more difficult to get it stable but once you got it is like titanium... solid...

the problem is the complexity of the mobo but is the best OC of the sli and if you spend 800$ in a fx55 is cuz you want to OC it... so i would go for the dfi...