1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Xbox 360 and backwards compatibility?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by eUphoria, 26 May 2006.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of risking a 360 - but want to know how easy it is to play xbox games on it - specifically halo 1 and 2 and pgr. Any issues???

Cheers! :thumb:

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

All these games are backwards comopatable, the 360 emulates the xbox to play original games (unlike the PS2 which is basically a PS1 and 2 in one package) so not all of them work and I've heard that the are sometimes a few issues with the games like some funny graphical bugs and stuff.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

If you like PGR then you'll love PGR3 so I'd advise you to get that at some point. IMO it's easily the best game on the 360. Halo definately works.

4. eUphoria

Thanks guys - looks like a 360 will be appearing very soon! :D

p.s. can you plug it into a dvi or vga??

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

VGA only at the moment (£20).

But apparently a DVI cable will be out soon.

6. CashPaidDaily

CashPaidDaily Banned

I do not like that the Xbox360 does not support new Xbox games, such as NBA Street V3

7. logan

logan flashback!

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

You may have some issues with Xbox games if you try to play on a monitor via the VGA. I can't for instance get Halo to work but Halo 2 does - the console cites display mode issues when I try.

9. eUphoria

10. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

The VGA support aint all it's cracked up to be. I play on a 17" PC LCD and have it set to 1280x1024 like you would expect. Only Perfect Dark Zero plays letterboxed like it should do, out of the games I own. DOA4 is full screen and Oblivion and the PGR3 demo are stretched vertically and the resolution must be set to 1024x768 for it to be letterboxed.

Oh, and set the 360 to PAL 60 befor eyou switch to using an LCD monitor. The VGA cable doesn't play games set to PAL 50.

11. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Hmm, you guys have multiple PAL modes over there? That must get a bit confusing every now and then I would guess.

I have played Halo2 ata buddies house on his 360. It looked better and played smoother (no laggy-ness, FPS drops etc.) and was actually a more enjoyable experience then the Xbox version.

12. smityjoe

smityjoe What's a Dremel?

appartelly microsoft might be killing the backwards com. so dont expect to play that many xbox games on the 360. well half of u xbox fanboys only play halo anyways so u will be ok there. and yes halo 2 does work even with old xbox live players. took me ages to download the maps though about over an hour for all of the extra maps.

13. logan

logan flashback!

Apparently you're wrong. :D

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think it's basically 50Hz and 60Hz, although I think only the very old TVs don't support PAL 60 nowerdays.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats about right, there used to be different NTSC/PAL modes across europe hence the PAL-XX on certain input software. But since 99% of the TVs are the same internally now justwith a different power supply it all works out.

Tags: