1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xbox 360 controller in windows XP.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by foxx, 19 Mar 2006.

1. foxx

foxx New Member

I would like to first say that I love the controller, its great. Anywho, I have the version that didnt come with the cd with the software on it. I did get the controllers drivers that you can download off of microsoft's website. I ran joy.cpl and saw that the controller is working fine. I went and messed around with it in some halo, and then came back to joy.cpl to recalibrate it again. But for some reason whenever I try and click or run joy.cpl my mouse will make the hour glass symoble for a second then stops as if to try and load the .cpl but cant and gives up. I can not bring up the joy.cpl configuration box.

For those that dont know, joy.cpl is the joystick configuration utility in "control panel" :thumb:

Thanks.

P.S. I did do a system restore and that allowed me to run joy.cpl again but once I install the controllers drivers and plug in the controller I cant run joy.cpl anymore.

EDIT: Well to be a bit more clear, I can run joy.cpl whenever the controller is unplugged. But the instant I plug in the controller, joy.cpl closes and wont start again untill I unplug the controller.

Now once I do get this done, How would I get it setup to work with counter strike?

Last edited: 19 Mar 2006
  2. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

This probably isn't much use to you, but can you tell me what server you will be playing counterstrike with a joypad on? I'd like to be the first to come on down and grant you an asskicking.

:thumb:

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

After which getting shot yourself by Ben? :D

4. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Yeah, I think I have realised that the only way I'm going to beat someone is if they use a touchpad, a joypad or are in fact blind. I never used to be as bad but since I got a monitor with uber native resolution my framerate drops down to 8-12 at times with my crap gfx card so I blame my bad run on that. Or age.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

6. foxx

foxx New Member

Ahh thank you, I have gotten it working, Ill be working on setting up which buttons do what.

@ Fly, name the server and Ill try and make it. If you want me to name one, im usualy in one of the fy_iceworld ones.

7. tech-it-^

tech-it-^ New Member

ok, how did you get that working. I have the drivers and everything for the Xbox 360 controller and it works fine EXCEPT when I play counterstrike source I can move with the right thumbstick and turn and look around with the left thumbstick. Now this is backwards for most people. Is there any way to change the characteristics of the controller, so that the right acts as the left thumbstick and the left acts as the right thumbstick? I see that someone here got it working but now so? Again its for counterstrike Source. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

8. riggs

riggs ^_^

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get the wireless 360 pad working with a PC? I know Microsoft sell a USB to WiFi box specifically for this, but as far as I can tell it's USA only at the moment...

What WiFi standard do they use? It's not Bluetooth is it (or am I thinking of the craptastic PS3 pads?)

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  9. foxx

foxx New Member

Wow, Its been 8 months since this thread, so all the data I can provide you with might be a little old.

tech-it-^
    I eventualy figured out the microsoft drivers are ABOSLUTE crap. So I found some other utilities. What your going to want to do is download different drivers, and then remap your buttons with another program. The drivers are XBCD, and the program is called controlMK. To save yourself some heartack, this is the guide I followed when I got my 360 controller working. Hope it works out for you. :)

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/index.html

riggs
    What your thinking of is the wireless adaptor for the 360 which allows you to connect the 360 to a wireless network. NOT a pc adaptor that allows a pc to connect to a controller. As far as I know the wireless controller cant connect with a pc at all. Either through 802.11 or Bluetooth. I have tryed to connect my friends wireless controller to my pc before using both and had no success. Although, it could have been because my wireless card and bluetooth adaptor are a couple years old. If you do figure it out, please tell me. :D

10. tech-it-^

tech-it-^ New Member

Yeah, I used the XBCD utility for my modded controller and I can pretty much switch the characteristics for my modded controller using this software, though it wouldn't work for my left thumbstick for moving. I would have to switch those characteristics with the d-pad and that worked but would not move diagonally. Any suggestions? Again, its for counterstrike source. Thanks man i appreciate it.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've looked into this and there is a wireless gaming adaptor...it just hasn't been released yet (looks like it gets released on boxing day).

12. tech-it-^

tech-it-^ New Member

YES! got it working, thanks man!!! I appreciate it, it really helped me out.

13. Supergoal

Supergoal New Member

Has anyone managed to get the 360 pad to work well with the PC version of Oblivion?

Tags: