1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 Elite is not HDMI 1.3 compliant

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's an awful shame, though the hint about an HD-DVD player that'll be under the $500 mark is something. It'd be nice to not have an extra box, but the drive for the 360 is external anyways.

3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I vote for a delay until MS can get HDMI 1.3 on there. after all, those who really want it for gaming already have alternatives, so why go for a lower spec just to get it out the door faster?

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Usually if you have to recommend someone elses product in order to do what the customer whants to do, it's a sign that your marketing decisions may be flawed :eyebrow:

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

hehe... so they can sell a xbox 360 super elite later on that will have hdmi 1.3 :naughty:

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

So no point in upgrading to this ... Might as well stick with the component.

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

atlest it comes with the damn cable.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

aye, it's not like the Xbox 360 component cable is a hassle

9. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Don't even have any HDMI capable TVs/Monitors, and I don't see why 1080i over component max is a downside, I don't know anyone who has a 1080p TV or complains that they can't use their HDMI. I guess it would be nice to have for those who have the capability of using it though, not really worth an upgrade, but maybe worth waiting for if your buying one soon.

10. Robotrix

Robotrix New Member

Well I decided to do some reading up on this on our main trusty source of knowledge. Why of course, Wikipedia!

According to the HDMI Wiki entry, 1.3 allows support for lossless audio compression (i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio), but if the player can decode multiple streams of audio into lossless compression then there is no need for the 1.3 iteration of HDMI since all HDMI standards have the bandwidth to transmit uncompressed audio.

So that leaves us with one question: can the Xbox 360 Elite decode multiple streams of audio over LPCM (the highest fidelity output for audio)? If not, then wouldn't it make sense to support 1.3 anyway, since 1.3 removes the need for LPCM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

So therefore I'm completely puzzled as to why they decided to not support the latest 1.3 standard.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I just wish things like this, i mean the cables would just be the same, instead of having revisions. Before this i wasnt even aware of HDMI 1.3, it was all the same to me, now im more confused than i was 5 mins ago :duh:
    Heh, theres no hope for me then :cooldude: .

Sam

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

I vote for a "Standard" Standard. that would make a change in the tech world

13. Hazardous

Hazardous New Member

There's already an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player available which costs just $200 :idea:

Furthermore... the (£130) Xbox 360 HD-DVD can also be used on a[n Nvidia-equipped] PC :clap: :hip: :rock:

See this Anandtech article for more details :thumb:

14. Vash-HT

Vash-HT New Member

I wish the optical output on the 360 wasn't built into the huge AV cable on there. If I used HDMI I wouldn't want to use it for audio, so it would be nice to be able to use HDMI for video and an optical out for audio.

15. automagsrock

automagsrock New Member

That's how I have my PS3 currently. HDMI for video and optical for audio.

I do need a new 360 since mines about out of gas. The elite (being all black) would fit in great with the rest of my home theater/gaming things. Just need to paint the Wii black now :)

Also, I think what firehead was saying hazardous was that there currently isn't a stand-alone HD-DVD player for under $500 :) . Now if there was some way to get the 360's HD-DVD player to work on a PS3...

16. Lucidity

Lucidity New Member

The Toshiba player will likely see a rather large price cut to 400 or 350 soon. Not to mention this holiday season when the 360s will be on the 65nm chip they will be cheaper. The core system is basically supposed to be gone unless specially ordered, the premium will be around 300 with the elite around 400.

17. gallacp

gallacp New Member

Can someone please Help me,
    I have bought the XBOX ELITE the Black one,.
    What type of HDMI cable do i use,
    I have a 1.3a will that work,

18. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

this is the most strange thread ressurection ever.

Tags: Add Tags