1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 Elite really exists

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 27 Mar 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I understand why they aren't shipping it with an internal HDVD drive but that kills it for me. I'll wait until they put a HD optical drive in there.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Surely you could mod your own in there?
    The only thing that interests me about this is the Black. 120GB is about time they brought out bigger ones, but they still kill you with the price. PS3 has it right with user interchangeable drives of standard size and packaging.

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Unless the've made the elite a lot quieter, I could never use it as a movie player anyway, so not having the hdvd inbuilt is not an issue for me. but why haven't they included wireless. it could not cost that much on wholesale scale.

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yep. Nice looking and if it was my *first* 360, I'd go for it. But seeing as how I already have one (which died, shipped off and an *older* model was sent back!) I cant justify it. As mentioned, no hdrom which i think is a bit of a miss to be honest. Bundling it in with the unit would easily justify a higher cost. And its not going to be your avg 12 yo buying it anywaze.

Still, 360 has a long way to go to match the PS3 build quality, in my opinion. Anyhow, good look to it, i like matte black. Tho I'd simply mod mine if i was really that bothered.

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Supposedly, the elite unit is just a limited time deal. However, both the premium and core packs are supposed to be receiving the HDMI upgrade later this year as well as the premium getting the larger hard drive. The black colour though will only be for awhile. Expect to keep paying $400 for the premium package for awhile longer, guys.

@Jamie: The HD-DVD is a double edged sword. Microsoft is afraid of packing in HD-DVD drive inside of the 360 because they don't want a dead format in their console. At the same time though, not packing in the HD-DVD is only helping it lose this format war. There's 10,000,000 360s out and about right now, so that's 10million HD-DVD drives with at around the same number of movies that could be in consumers hands right now.

7. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

@bloodcar: Do you really think so? At around £130 the HD-DVD is a cheap player (given that you've already paid for the console). If the price of the 360 went up by £100 to include the HD-DVD drive, do you still think they'd have sold 10 million consoles? My money would be saying that no, they wouldn't.

To include another SKU with HD-DVD would only add to confusion in the market place. I'd rather see MS drop the core pack altogether and bundle an HDD with every console. I think that would be much more useful to the gamers (who are the primary market for the console).

8. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

Looks like the same old console, just black with a bigger hard drive.

If build quality is improved, internal cooling is massively improved (and fan noise minimised as a result), dvd-rom quietened down, and reliability increased by a large factor, THEN I would be interested.

9. calnen

calnen moo!!

Looks shiny :) And I can see where they're going with the Hard disk - MS have a 20GB drive, then Sony release a 60GB one so MS try to trump them with 120. It'll get funny if they keep this up - who thinks Sony will release a 'special edition' with a 250GB drive within a year? ;)

10. orb

orb satisfying.

Man I don't know about you but when I watch movies my 5.1 tends to silence anything

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

It will only silence the 360 in the loudish action parts, quiet poignant pauses tend to be a bit ruined due to the jet engine whine. If I upped my 5.1 to continually drown out the xbox my downstairs neighbours might complain just a smidgen.

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Why would they do that? You can upgrade it yourself without the ridiculous markup in price. Not like the 120GB drive for the 360, $200, a 120GB drive by itself can be had for $80, so if you wanted your XBox 360 normal to have 120GB you have to pay an extra $200 to get it. That puts it in the realm of the PS3 with a 60GB. Plus if you want it to match the PS3 you have to shell out for a HDDVD player, Wireless adaptor etc. So in effect the PS3 becomes cheaper.

13. kempez

kempez modding again!

Of course if you buy the HD-DVD drive then that's almost silent. God knows why they can't source a quieter DVD player

One thing the PS3 deffo has going for it is that you hardly hear it

14. topher

topher SHam!

HDMI

Will their be a cable that will allow me to plug this one into my 30" dell monitor?

15. kempez

kempez modding again!

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

With HDMI remember, and also quite possibly a die shrink, which means a cooler and more efficient CPU, so the heat output would be less. This would mean the 360 is running cooler, so the reliability will be improved, and quite possibly the fans would be quieter.

They've also already brought out new DVD drives, the newer batches of 360s are a lot quieter than the old ones.

17. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

It's been reported that these won't have the 65nm CPU in them.

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Who cares about a new iteration.

Where's the damn price drop.

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm never gonna use HDMI (in the near future, at least) so I'm not gonna worry about the Elite. I'm kinda pissed about the bigger hard drive though. I remember back at launch I was the only one saying that 20GB's wasn't enough and of course I was called this and that.

20. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

$479 (The Xbox 360 Elite) + $200.98 (HD-DVD Add-on w/ shipping @ newegg) = $679.98!!!

Oh, and don't forget $94.98 (Wireless LAN Adaptor w/shipping @ newegg) and $44.98 (Xbox Live Gold 12-month subscription card w/ shipping @ newegg) which would make it $819.94.

PS3 Premium = $599

Besides the 120GB HD, the PS3 offers all of that in one package for almost $220 less.

For all of the people calling the PS3 a rip-off.... explain that...

Last edited: 27 Mar 2007
Tags: Add Tags