1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 getting exclusive Crysis 2 demo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jan 2011.

1. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Actually Crysis was a great game, especially compared to the corridor, scripted and boring shooters we get to play nowadays. Crysis was an open game, with advanced AI, beautiful surroundings and interesting combat because of the suit functions.

2. MattyD

MattyD What's a Dremel?

Calling console gamers idiots is not cool guys. PC gaming is a minority hobby these days and those of us with friends as well as top-spec gaming PCs usually end up playing some games over Xbox Live just for the social aspect. I will be buying this for PC of course.

3. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

ya win some, ya lose some, sometimes you platform gets the demo or early beta, sometimes your platform doesn't get the demo or early beta. I'm sad that this demo it's on a platform I no longer own or enjoy playing. Maybe next time, just maybe. . .

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

@Eggy Crysis wasn't THAT open. It also eventually turned into a corridor shooter, though compared to CoD I see your point.

In terms of this demo, yeah it stings a little, I do think they should release a demo for PC too at some point. This however will have been paid for by Microsoft and also a valid move since they're releasing on a platform that hasn't had any Crytek games before. They need to get as much marketing as possible to console users to justify the move to multiplatform.

As for everyone stating how crap this game is just because it's coming on consoles as well as PC... You haven't played it yet, no one has played the full game yet, you can't judge it yet. You can be pessimistic, you can complain constructively about gameplay changes that have been revealed that you are unsure of, but stop being such elitist pricks.

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

RAAGGEEE

That is all

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

My Live subscription just ended... Have to buy another 3 months now :(

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

lol at comparing pentium2 to xbox360 as if the 7 year gap wasnt there, and graphics are the only thing that matter.

8. Canon

Canon Reformed

It's pathetic, basicly Crytek saying "Hey slip us another £10 under the table here and we'll give you an unfair advantage against other players, making their online experience less enjoyable, but heck we don't mind, we already have their money! "

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

working the other side of the gaming fence i can see where crytek are coming from. there are plenty of idiots with money to burn so they've doing what i would do and are fleecing them for the morons they are.

I've steered well clear of crysis 2's development news and instead will cast judgement on 0 day due to the screams of fans demanding that i review it.

10. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Disappointing, but really, is it unexpected? Microsoft and EA are both pushing this game hard on the consoles; all it takes is some extra money slipped Crytek's way and you've got an exclusive demo deal. Considering that Crytek were likely on thin ice after Crysis' relatively middling PC sales (though it did have long legs), I can see why they'd want to rethink their platform focus.

The game itself looks great in a lot of ways, but also a step back from the first Crysis. I just played the original a little bit last night for the first time in months, and was kind of blown away with how much variety is packed into most of the levels. Yes, it's still a shooter, and yes, it's not truly a sandbox game, but the number of possible approaches to complete objectives is very high, and it might actually be one of the few shooters I've played in years where stealth is effective both as an offensive and defensive tactic... once you've got a hang of how to use the nanosuit, you really start to think differently about how to approach situations. Soldier hiding in a house? Knock it down on his head! Wall in your way? Jump over it and land on the unfortunate guy on the other side! Other shooters simply feel static in comparison.

Crysis 2, by contrast, looks like it's attempting to take the same ideas and make them a bit more approachable, a little easier to understand. It definitely leans towards the second half of Crysis, but I really hope it takes more from Warhead, which was able to really capitalise on the sandbox ideal of the first game while still keeping things dramatic and fast-moving. While I can't fault the presentation, it remains to be seen whether or not the "streamlining" for mainstream console audiences is going to result in a stronger game. Consolidating the nanosuit modes, for instance, might lead to easier gameplay, but will it also result in fewer tactical options?

I'm much more interested in Crysis 2 for the mod possibilities, though. I was late to the table when it came to making mods and maps for the original game, but I learned a good deal about how to handle the level editor. CryEngine 3 seems even more powerful and way easier to use; I imagine for me it'll be worth buying Crysis 2 simply for the ability to make custom missions and scenarios. I have huge amounts of respect for Crytek as well, simply because they realise that tools need to be artist-driven and design-driven... going back to other tools like Bethesda's GECK, and heck, even Unreal Engine 3, feels like a major regression.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2011
  11. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

i'll get Crysis 2 on pc (only way to play fps's imo) i am looking forward to it but part of me thinks Great, its Crysis 2, another part of me thinks it's gonna be a modern black warefare ops 182 which can be enjoyable but may not be a masterpiece.

I enjoyed Crysis (and although no one has mentioned it) i enjoyed crysis warhead, thought psycho was a better character to play. you can't blame them for getting in on the console market, us pc players might no like the fact it won't be pc exclusive again but it just means we'll have to get as many ppl to buy it on pc to show crytek theres a good reason why the first one was pc only.

12. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

really I blame parents for the gold rush in console when get stuck with ancient hardware they will blatantly go the el'cheapo console considering that i had to work at the 12 to get a decent rig and still am stuck at a really cheap computer, i really curse myself for not going the console route and most gamers on this earth are less than 25 years old

13. rayson

14. rayson

sorry for the writing error

15. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

There are always walls, for a shooter Crysis had pretty big rooms though. The game was open in the sense that you could approach nearly every objective in a way you liked. Grab a vehicle go in rambo style shooting the place op. Go in stealth and use tranquillisers to disable the enemy troops. Or use melee combat to throw guys around and destroy buildings.

16. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I think some folk are missing my points. The 360 is not a POS, it's better (my def is what it's capable of) than probably most other previous consoles and more capable than any pc's till about 2006. I had to get sli 7800gt's to match it on oblivion (pc not looking too good in that light). of course it's no match for modern pc, but it is better than some of the pc's you guys used to own. Forza, orange box, gta 4, plants v zombies, oblivion, grid, ... lots of good games. I enjoyed oblivion more than i enjoyed shenmue on dreamcast which i also enjoyed more than pitfall on the atari 2600, which i enjoyed more than dizzy on the spectrum. of all the platforms i've owned, 360 is near the top, it's not a POS. you wouldnt say i'm an idiot cause i owned a dreamcast. I'm a bit fed up with "all consoles all suck" when the 360 was released for £300, you had to have £1.5k pc to equal it, which i'm sure most of you haters only dreamed of!

17. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

specifically to masterofpuppets, I hate the idea of exclusives, if thats your idea of great console, then maybe the amiga cd 32bit is the one for you. which is my idea of the worst. I never owned one, but my mate at school did. i played it a bit but it sucked.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3 day ban for mastorofpuppetz for racism, flaming and trolling. And that's because I'm in a good mood.

EDIT: Perma banned. Signing up again after we banned another account previously.

Zurechial and Volund like this.
  19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

First outing for the banhammer this year?

I cant say that im that bothered by this tbh, i was late to the crysis party, and only picked it up off the back of gunsmiths walkthroughs and steams sale at the time. I enjoyed it a lot moreso than a lot of FPS's ive played.

The second looks ok, im sure ill pick it up sometime when it eventually in a steam sale, so the lack of PC demo doesnt bother me.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

:rock:

Tags: Add Tags