1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 Ring of Light is Ring of Death

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Dec 2005.

1. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon New Member

never mind then i was gona post about the tut for fixing the disc but commander beat me to it =-).

this is just a minor problem that users created.

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm sorry, but I see little reason why people would have to move the box anyways. It's not so much that I think MS shouldn't have considered the stupid people in their design, but seriously...that's like chainsaws with labels saying "do not stop with hands or genitals." DO NOT DROP YOUR TV OUT OF A WINDOW WHILE VIEWING...IT WILL CAUSE PICTURE DISRUPTION.

I'm annoyed by two things, at two sides of this idiocy. First, obviously the fix is so simple that Llama managed to get the problem stopped with almost no effort and no real increase in parts.

But further, I'm annoyed because why, why, WHY would you sit there and flip your $400 console from horizontal to vertical continually, knowing it's reading a disc? Were you dropped on your head?! They even included wireless controllers, so the console has virtually NO NEED to be contacted in any way, shape or form except to put a disc in or hit the power button.

Gah. People that stupid shouldn't have $400 of disposable income to burn on a console. And I don't mean the inner-scientists who said "No, they couldn't have been that stupid," and did an experiment. But the ones who honestly said "This is cool! Look what happens when I pick it up and flip it!!! The light changes...whoaaaah!"

But seriously, if you're going to sell it to people this bright, you should at least spend the extra $0.15 for some rubber padding around the drive.

/End stupid-people rant.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Perhaps MS just gave average people's intelligence a bit more credit.

Given Sony's history of faux-pas (the PStwo's PSU needed replacing less than three months after it hit the shops, and I won't even get started on the PSP's little problems) I wouldn't act so smug if I were you...

Do we need to have that "a 100 IQ isn't very much" discussion again? :D

4. DivineSin

DivineSin New Member

! 100 IQ is not very much, clearly 110 is far superior.

5. Nezuji

Nezuji New Member

I am enjoying the... how to say it... blind rage of all these posts calling users who move their console while the disc is spinning fools, idiots and morons, likening them to people who would try to stop a chainsaw with their bare hands.

The plain fact of the matter is that between a Saturn, PSOne, Dreamcast, PS2 and GameCube, NOT A SINGLE ONE of these systems -- all between four and ten years old -- has ever scratched one of my discs when being turned around all three axes while operating; in fact they very rarely even suffer a loading delay. And yes, I've actually done this to all of them (I juggle eight consoles on my living room floor). The PS2 even has a (presumably) similar tray-loading mechanism! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO REBUILD HIM!

Then again, it's interesting that more than one comment on that Joystiq article mentions moving the console gently and having no problems at all. I may say that I've never hurled any of my consoles around with great force either. I wonder if these people are flipping their consoles by slapping it on one side when vertical and letting it fall to the horizontal position.

Nezuji :)

6. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Not by much... trust me. :)

7. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip New Member

you are likening these people to your self, an educated adult of an age and financial stature to purchase this machine.

what about the kids from 5 and upwards that got bought these machines by their parents, when you was a kid wasnt you inquisitive?? i wonder what would happen if i put this banger in a bin?? and you do it, i wonder what would happen if i mix these 2 chmeicals that my science teacher said should never be mixed?? i wonder what i the twinkly light on my new consloe that mummy and daddy bought me would od if i moved it whilst it was on? = scratched disc.

its not always down to morons that need warnings on everything to tel them not to stop chain saws with their nuts.

but why couldnt MS have thought about all potential problems like this one for the just incase it happens once syndrome

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Though I'm half inclined to agree with you, a 5 year old should not have access to technology like this...there's not even more than one or two games that do not involve killing people in some manner at this point. Why would you introduce a 5-year old, who may not even be able to treat crayons with civility, to a $400 piece of technology?

Though I understand your point, I do think there should be age-appropriateness for something like this (see discussions on video games and parents in previous months). And a proper age would know better than to shake or turn a console with a laser running over a delicate disc. I honestly would hope a 10 year old knows better.

9. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I New Member

It is obviously a manufacturer defect, as it can be easily fixed. If all consols were prone to this problem then there would be not much to argue about. However at this point it is the Xbox 360 that has this problem, and therefor it is the responsibility of Microsoft to fix it. I say recall.

10. Nottheking

Nottheking New Member

Well, I do find it silly that some people are, from the way I'd guess, simply flipping the console on its side or on to a horizontal position without too much care, and that could be causing scratched discs. However, the comment that vibrations caused by people walking through the house... That's not stupidity on the part of the user; that's something that should be expected for any electronic device; not all of us live with our floor on a concrete slab. In fact, I bet very few of us do, and a large number of homes easily transmit such vibrations when you walk through them. I do feel that Microsoft cut corners a little too much when they didn't include bumpers on what was obviously a much more compact disc drive. It likely would've cost them a negligable ammount, (<$0.025, I'd say) and could've saved them quite a bit in all the tech support hassle they've been having.

11. computerman0416

computerman0416 New Member

Junk is junk....and that is what the Xbox 360 is...JUNK!! Overpriced, overheated, over rated and understocked. Microsoft is screwing all of you!!! They stuck it too all of you that bought one and left the KY jelly at home!!

Last edited: 12 Dec 2005
Tags: Add Tags