1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 UK launch review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 2 Dec 2005.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

lol, of course its going to look great on your 32" widescreen LCD television. Games look great on crt computer monitors as well as LCD computer monitors. Theres a big difference between a computer monitor and a normal television though.

2. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't standard definition in this case be 480i rather than 480p?
    From what I've understood, not many standard tv's support p?

3. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I didn't see him mention LCD anywhere there, so I'd assume he's talking about a CRT.

If that's the case, then that's encouraging as I'm just about to get one :D

4. hakme2deth

hakme2deth What's a Dremel?

Seem to have a problem reading the pages? pages (2,4,6 and 8 coincidently...)

Anyone haveing the same problem...

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /gaming/2005/12/02/xbox_360_uk_review/2.html on this server."

5. hakme2deth

hakme2deth What's a Dremel?

6. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

nope i am running 1.5 and i have no problems

7. DivineSin

I could of swarn i read LCD..erp.

8. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

Bein a PC gamer I had second thoughts about buying mine. Glad I did tho, having a blast with mine. But realy only worth it if you have a HDTV then you get the full graphic use of it. Only have two issues with the system so far. One being I couldnt hook up my mouse and keyboard for FPS games. Two being you can easily ruin a disc. If the system is running with a disc in it. And you go to lay it over or upright for any reason, something in the system ruins the disc witha huge line cut around the disc. Have done it myself and have had many customers return games to my shop complaining about it. Cant wait to see what the good modders out there can do with um 8 ).

9. :: kna ::

One of the golden rules of CD players since, well... ever is never move the unit with it spinning.

I've read more than one comment where people say they've ruined discs by reorientating the Xbox with the drive going?! If I'm honest, yes, I'm not surprised at this.

This isn't a design fault, it's a user training issue.

10. DivineSin

No, its a design issue. I've bumped my ps2 several times while its been on its side and watched it whobble and nothing has happened to the disk. Hell, the only thing that made my ps2 etch a disk was dropping it from like 3 feet up (And that was ONCE out of like..5 times, and yes its still running, oddly). Normal cd-players can be used while jogging if they have a disk skip option and have not a single problem. If the 360 is etching disks while moving the thing, theres a serious problem.

11. :: kna ::

I disagree entirely.

PORTABLE CD-Players can be used whilst jogging, they're designed to be moved around. Also they only spin at 1x speed, which means that the force excerted on the disc is proportionally less.

The 360 is a massive lump of hardware which I'm sure can stand up to a bump, however if you're reorientating it (which obviously changes the mentioned force massively on the disc due to the spinning) then you can't expect a high-speed moving part inside not to suffer. I bet you it doesn't mark a single disc if people just leave the damn thing where it is.

Why on earth did you drop your PS2 five times? Just goes to show the extent that people seem to WANT to damage their equipment.

12. DivineSin

Actually, the article i read where the guy wanted to find out what was causing the troubles said that it happens if you just bump into the console and cause it to wobble it will etch right into the disk. Its caused by two metal sides on either side of the lense.

But yea, i dropped my ps2 so many times because i only had a short cord and if i tugged too hard it would fall off my shelf. Not to mention animals/friends have ran right into the cord and caused the ps2 to fall off the shelf. :D
    Still alive and kicking though.

13. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

Geometry Wars is looking better than ever, anyone else remember that this was a hidden game on PGR2?
    The arcade game in the garage?

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Emmm... then your still connecting to the TV via component, not SCART so saying SCART is awfull is misleading. If there is a an RGB SCART lead available for the 360 then you should test it with that and compare with composite. I would imagine it would be significantly better.

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I spoke to someone in Gamestation and they said if you haven't got one yet, you're unlikely to get one before March.
    I know in the U.S. Microsoft is supposed to be shipping new units weekly, do we know when the next batch is shipping in the UK?

16. project ego

project ego What's a Dremel?

hey everyone i was just wondering, i was going to buy a lcd t.v and the one i was looking at has a resolution of 1024x768 pixels and i was just wondering if that would be anygood with the 360???
    and another question has any one had any problems with the 360 ???

17. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Hey mate,

Unfortunately, you're only going to be able to get 480p (640x480) out of that TV. Unfortunately, that isn't High Definition, and your LCD monitor is also going to be scaling it up to 1024x768, and that's not going to look very good :(

18. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I agree that moving the unit whilst a disc is spinning is a bit of a stupid thing to do, although kids playing on the console would not know that.
    And that's not the only way the discs get scratched according to that article...

If that is true then MS should do something about it, change the cd mechanism or something.

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

emmm he can get 720p out of that as it has 768 vertical lines of resoloution. The LCD specs should list the display modes, if they match the 360 then your good to go.

20. project ego

project ego What's a Dremel?

360 tv conversation

hey everyone thanks for advice i seen a new one thats a bit more expensive but it says its high defintiton and can go upto 1080i its says on spec i think its a philips pf4310 so it should be good i hope :S

Tags: Add Tags