1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 720 to be always-online?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Byron C

Byron C *psst!* This guy is a loser!

Couldn't really care less about the next Xbox to be honest, but... Isn't that photo the mockup/concept of the *original* Xbox? :p

2. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Hmmm, when I use my console (okay, it's a WII, but it's a console) 2/3 of the time I've got no internet connection available. (On the move, at friends houses, in Hotels, Campervan)
    The other third I've got it available, but it's not connected to the console.

To me, at least, it would therefore be a no-go criteria. (Unless they come up with a Worldwide free wireless scheme) :D

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Member

Not sure if I'm mis-reading this, but doesn't the " non-optical" stipulation merely demand you install games to the HDD from the disc you have bought? I assume this is something to do with user experience (ie. faster load times, ability to scan HDD for games owned and therefore patchable etc.) rather than anything else. At least, I hope so. If this is the case, then the second-hand market shouldn't be affected, unless developers start using one-time only activation keys that subsequent owners will need to re-purchase, like BF3. Which is shady, in my opinion. £40 a game isn't enough?

Of more concern to me is the Big Brother Kinect issue...

4. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

The whole activation thing and always online thing will probably pay a part in stopping/restricting pre ownded games sales too i'm thinking. Is it just me or is the red tape around gaming/ piracy/console/hardware lockdown becoming a bit too ridiculous....

5. mal

mal Member

Plus, Forcing "Always On" FORCES XBOX LIVE MEMBERSHIP.

I rarely play multiplayer. I have no GOLD membership. Its MY choice. Take away my choices, I take my money elsewhere.

6. Byron C

Xbox Live Silver...?

Admittedly I take your point about not having a choice in the matter, but not even having a Silver profile makes even the current Xbox quite limited - you get almost nothing beyond just playing the game, IIRC.

EDIT: Well OK, "quite limited" is probably the wrong way to characterise it, but you'd still miss out on a lot.

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Which is what it's there for in the first place, isn't it? ;)

8. Griffter

Griffter New Member

have to be since the new xbox has blue-ray discs and the read speed on these hight volume discs are wayyy to slow to play on the fly. ps3 has to install games all this time becos of it so no real surprise for me and i guess others that had that blue-ray/slow read info... but i can see how it can be big news for others.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

*sigh*

the sustained transfer rate of the BD drive in the PS4 (and likely the next xbox) will be 6x BD - that's sustained 27 MB/s (that's 216mbit/s)

which is faster than all IDE HDD`s.

so carry on spouting that blu ray isn't good enough.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure where you get your numbers for HDD transfer speed from but going on storagereview.com benchmark even the worst HDD manages 35.3 MB/s and the best is 135.0 MB/s

11. Byron C

Well yes, if you want to be pedantic! ;)

12. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

I imagine that this no play from disc feature prevents backward compatibility between the new console and the 360. If this is the case then its the final straw for me. After 4 360's, numerous hardware replacements (controllers, batteries, chargers etc) and a hell of a lot of patience with their backwards ass mentality I wont give MS any more money if they take my sizable investment and throw it away before my very eyes. My current 360 is on the verge of death as it is, yet have around 80 games on my shelf destined for landfill if this new console wont support them. The insult could not be more comprehensive.

Plus, a few years ago I lost my job and was unemployed for a few months, I couldn't afford the upkeep for my internet connection, if that happens again, with this new system no job = no play.

Never mind the complete debacle with almost every other area they choose to have a half arsed crack at (Games for windows anyone?).
    I'm not going to wait for any more revelations regarding Microsoft's misguided decisions for their next living room fascist box, I've decided right now, I'm done with them. I might consider a PS4, however I'm now questioning the validity of owning a console at all, what with the rising expense and also the decreasing life span of content and compatibility.

Tags: Add Tags