1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox boss prefers PEGI to BBFC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Man with vested interest in selling games prefers and non legally enforced rating system... not much of a shock there.

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

He wants to be allowed to sell his game he is not trying to sell it to minors.
    I think you should be aloud to sell what you want with a warning if the content may be too extreme. Like who buys games they havent done some research on before hand.
    and if its a thing of not letting under 18's buy it its the sellers problem and for them to fix, not the publisher/developer and they should not be punished

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 New Member

its all about the pennies.... but if I was a parent I think I would prefer the BBFC to inforce ratings, it would hopefully stop kids for purchasing games that are deemed not suitable for kids, but saying that i dont think games retailers take them seroiusly.

there must of been the same number of people buy halo 3 on launch night that were of age compared to those that were under age, and I also saw at the weekend a kid walk out of game with bioshock.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would prefer a more scientific approach.... and of course, if you want to rate it you should play a significant part of it.... and of course, NOT BAN IT!.

6. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

A clear written disclaimer covering any potentially unsuitable aspects of the game would be infinately preferable to a generic rating system that doesn't necessarily reflect a games suitability.

After all, the system for rating movies leaves a lot of films that are rated 15 for violence arguably more unsuitable for a 15 year old than movies rated 18 for language, or sexual content.

A written disclaimer should allow parents to make a more informed choice of whether a game is suitable for their child. But since such an approach would require some parent/child interaction it is of course totally unrealistic, after all its the media and related industries responsible for the well being of these kids, not the parents :sigh:

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well the reason the BBFC only rate a few games is because they don't have the manpower to rate them all. What they do is take any game that PEGI has certified as 15 or over I believe and then put that through their rating process. IMO though, they shouldn't ban games, that would be like banning the statue of david cos he's got his penor out. Although comparing manhunt to David requires quite a stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: WTF?! They're hiring a celebrity psychologist to do it :wallbash:

Jesus that just stinks of spin, I imagine the only reason she was hired because she was on TV, so the "public can trust her". If anything, it's been shown that "celebrity" psychologists are awful, as shown by Fox News.

I can just imagine the report: "It's true! The internet and video games turn your children into mass murderers! Now give me more money to sensationalise another topic."

Correct me if I'm wrong about her though and she is actually good at her job, but this just screams "Lets get her off the TV to do an "independent" report to get the public to agree with us"

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
Tags: Add Tags