1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox Live, PlayStation Network downed by Xmas DDoS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Gotta love the mainstream media, this was all over the news but they neglected to mention Dotcom paying these scumbags off. At least now when anyone asks "what they hope to achieve" we can blame Dotcom for setting a precedence in paying off what amount to cyber terrorists.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2014
  3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I think the scumbags also targeted ea's origin servers as it was a pain trying to logon to that as well

4. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

And we owe the NSA, GCHQ and all the various cyber-crime authorities a huge dept of thanks for doing, "Absolutely F*** all", they are so worth all the £$billions thrown at them.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Why would the NSA or GCHQ help Sony? Both are nationalised organisations. Still there own faults for leaving most of the main server hubs in one location. If they bothered to setup some region based servers would be a lot harder to ddos.

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

It is people like Sony, (bundled up under the umbrella of the MPAA) that are presumed to be the primary funding source for GCHQ and NSA internet privacy/snooping agendas?

Where have you been man?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That tip on MTU was handy, I could use my PS3 but not my PS4 until I did that, very strange.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Genuine question: Would it though ?
    Even if you had say 4-5 main IPs for the load balancers couldn't a DDOS attack just target those, from my limited understanding it's very difficult to engineer a network that is DDOS attack resilient.

I read that the dicks responsible for this done so to highlight security flaws in the way the big two operate their networks, although I'm unsure how a DDOS attack pertains to security.

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Mercury News

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

A lot of companies don't eve run their DDoS protection hardware until they are under attack also. So false positives when under attack make this worse. I only deal with small to medium companies though so am not sure about organisations of this scale. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Yeah DDoS isn't really preventable as you would need a pipe bigger than the offenders, who take advantage of millions of compromised computers at no real costs to themselves