1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox media centre: HAL 900

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Fleafa, 24 Aug 2003.

1. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

think he said 3ds max

its a great program but you mustn't get tempted by maya-- i did a course in it and it is irritating as hell!!

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lol, maya is easily the superior package ;)

I think I saw something similar to this project a few days ago. Maybe I'll go dig up the link.....

Looking good so far :thumb:

3. Fleafa

Fleafa What's a Dremel?

Well, Max is giving me **** with Quake 3. I've not had chance to branch out into other apps yet.

Anyway, please try to keep the 'software war' comments to a minimum in this thread :D.
    There's nothing worse than a perfectly good thread turning into an argument.

Thanks for your comments.

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Very nice work with the mouse wheel dude, keep it up :rock:

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

That mousewheel... so good! Get an LED in there now! I want to see it all glowy :p

6. Fleafa

Fleafa What's a Dremel?

Just to keep everyone informed, I've been moving house and haven't really had time for modding. :(
    Should get started again soon.

7. TheGreatBoob

TheGreatBoob What's a Dremel?

good, i was really hoping this hadn't dissapeared without being finished.

just keep us posted, and keep up the great work.

8. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

That mouse wheel is very cool. I assume it will light up in the centre? :D :thumb:

9. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

i like that...did are you doing more with the Xbox controllers? or the keyboard to make them more custom?

/me likes welding :)

10. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

wow! somehow i've missed this thread. this is looking great! i plan on doing the same kind of thing with an xbox (in fact im researching it right now). i LOVE the aluminum you've used for the controller and the mouse wheel. looks ggggreat! :thumb: :rock: :dremel: cant wait for more!

questions:
    what modchip are you going to be using on it? (im guessing you'll have one in order to use some of the things you talked about)

are you going to make your own vga adaptor? if so, then how?

and i'm guessing you're just going to tap into the pins for the audio out, etc.?

subscribed!

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

looking good how much was the metal box

12. Fleafa

Fleafa What's a Dremel?

I wanted to make all the buttons on the pad alu. but, while possible, is a plan for the future.

Already using executer2.2 (see first post!)

Scrapping the VGA mod until decent software support is available.

I've mostly sorted my house out. 5 PC's on a LAN for three people. One PC each then the router and the network renderer for max.
    My 1meg ADSL was connected last night so mostly been in front of my PC all day. When I wasn't, I was playing Kung Fu Chaos on the xbox! I've downloaded loads of new xbox software and have been implementing it.

I assure, I will not be sitting on my arse for ever, just give me some settling time (uni starts monday).

farewell for now...

13. Fleafa

Fleafa What's a Dremel?

Believe it or not, I have actually been doing some project stuff, but it's all been software related.
    The xbox now has my music collection on it and several films as well as a few games.
    I've replaced the original HDD with a Seagate Barracuda 80Gb and extended the yellow cable for the DVD drive so it supports the new internal layout.
    The original cables aren't long enough.
    I've mounted all the motherboard spacers so I can now fix the mobo to the tray. I'll put up photos when I have more to show for my efforts.

Now it's time to explain the lack of progress...

I'm now back at Uni, so things such as drink, drugs and coursework seem to be getting in the way.
    I'm in two bands too, so time is at a premium.
    Oh, and Medieval: Total War happened to me ;)

The next thing for me to do is to finish the tray and start on the front and back plates.
    For the moment, I'll be concentrating on the case rather than the added features planned.
    I'm probably going to be using black plastic for the panels simply because I'll be able to work with it aot easier.

If someone could suggest a website which sells vinyl dye in the UK, it'd really help with the mouse and stuff. I got the LED's :D

14. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

way hey an update, well sort of update..! :D

(/me wonders whether I'll now get slapped for not doing anything on my project for the last month...)

15. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

I too missed this thread…excellent concept. You have inspired me to do the Xbox mod I have been thinking about now that my warranty has run out (I think). Your craftsmanship is first rate and well thought out. With all the work you are doing, I’m kind of surprised that your not making it wireless…

16. KinGvsKinG

KinGvsKinG What's a Dremel?

all i can say is... :jawdrop: killer job on everything. i might just buy me an xbox now and mod it.

17. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Holy crap that mouse wheel is cool. Nice attention to detail! Will it glow through the plastic? Need to do this to my laser mouse! :D

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Missed that thread too, but that looks waaaaaay cool! :rock: Love the mouse wheel especially. Argh! Must... copy... mod..! :D

19. ramapoughnative

ramapoughnative What's a Dremel?

excellent mouse mod.. Love the wheel. I can't wait to seei it lit up! :D

20. Fleafa

Fleafa What's a Dremel?

On the software side of things, I now have GentooX working on the xbox which is nice. It can be hard to see the text because I have a crappy old TV. Better start saving!
    Also, I currently have to use the Xbox pad as a mouse and type with the on-screen keyboard. So, the next part of the roject to move forward is the keyboard. I have the USB hub which will go inside, but there isn't enough space for it so I'm going to make a new base for it as soon as I can find some sheet acrylic or something similar.
    I'll post pictures when I get some progress done.
    I won't give up on this, but it might take some time!

As always, thanks for the interest!

EDIT:
    pranks7er - about £30 I think (bit of an under-the-table thing)